• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on buying a collection privately please.

87 posts in this topic

1) Take someone with you - friend, brother doesn't matter. If there is something dodgy going on, then it's less likely a potential robber will tackle 2 people.

2) You can use paypal to pay - or all of you go to the local bank and do the cash/comic swap there. I've done both with Zero problems. The seller just wants to be paid.

3) Don't go to a comic shop and do the deal there. Talk about walking into a Lions den with a steak around your neck......!

4) Subscribe to GPA. Do.It.Right.Now. That way you have current slabbed prices at your fingertips and can work out whats a fair price to pay assuming you can do basic ballpark grading.

Lastly , as others have said - count pages, check the book is complete and if possible grab a 'black-light' which will show up most types of Colour Touch.

Go for it!

Keep all the info to yourself and I hope you get a stonkingly great result.

Post in the 'finds' post and let us know how you got on. But as always, only use money you can afford to spend.

Don't borrow, don't skimp on bills or the mortgage - use disposable income.

If you can only afford 3 books - buy the three, keep your mouth shut about where you got the books and go back for the rest when you can afford them.

And remember GPA is the price for slabbed books raw book go for much lower generally

1) Take someone with you - friend, brother doesn't matter. If there is something dodgy going on, then it's less likely a potential robber will tackle 2 people.

2) You can use paypal to pay - or all of you go to the local bank and do the cash/comic swap there. I've done both with Zero problems. The seller just wants to be paid.

3) Don't go to a comic shop and do the deal there. Talk about walking into a Lions den with a steak around your neck......!

4) Subscribe to GPA. Do.It.Right.Now. That way you have current slabbed prices at your fingertips and can work out whats a fair price to pay assuming you can do basic ballpark grading.

Lastly , as others have said - count pages, check the book is complete and if possible grab a 'black-light' which will show up most types of Colour Touch.

Go for it!

Post in the 'finds' post and let us know how you got on. But as always, only use money you can afford to spend.

If you can only afford 3 books - buy the three, keep your mouth shut about where you got the books and go back for the rest when you can afford them.

Does a blacklight really work at detecting restoration?

I never thought of that, but such a great idea

Or drive very far

I wouldn't sniff at that. It's a 200 mile round trip to a Wal-Mart where I live. Not that going to Wal-Mart is why I would travel. It's a 340 mile trip to the nearest airport that offers commercial service.

Just going to my kids volleyball, wrestling, basketball, soccer and track meets averaged longer than 200 miles per round trip. In fact, 200 miles is a close one.

This is some friendly advice. Don't buy. I think I know the collection your are talking about, 150 odd comics? 1 major key only.

The guy selling it know what he's doing, looking to get maximum value, this isn't an old lady with a bag of comics giving it away. Also I hope you understand the difference between pence and cents, if not don't go out buying comics by yourself.

I wouldn't drive that distance myself. You seem far too trusting to a guy using the "attic find" story. You seem overly excited about this deal which may be exactly what he wants. Save your gas money for that comic and buy a slabbed copy. Patience is a virtue.

Go for it!

Does a blacklight really work at detecting restoration?

I never thought of that, but such a great idea

It does help.

I'm not buying this thread for a second either. If the OP is legit than the seller likely is not. Then again, its always possible and the OP should simply be careful regarding condition, and excitement of the deal.

That's said, I'd like to comment on some "worst first thinking" about going on deals. I have never heard of anyone being robbed of cash or hurt on a deal in my entire mulit decade collecting experience. I'm sure it has happened but so do a lot of other accidents and we shouldn't stop living for fear of fear.

The odds of a horror movie ending from a comic deal are so miniscule as to not be worthy of discussion. The threat of being robbed for carrying cash is likely less than the danger and cost of the chance of an accident from the drive itself. Again, use your best judgement and be wary. Treat it like being a tourist in Milan Italy. There are thieves out there, just be cautious and aware of your surroundings.

Ed

Bait thread? lol. No.

Comicshrine, can you let me know who you think it is? If you know him then it's falling through. Of course I know the difference between pence and cents! lol

I've asked for clear pictures of the collection and arranged now to go tomorrow instead after I've had a proper look at them. Also, so I can raise more dough and go with my pal instead of on my lonesome, can't be too careful here I don't think, even if I can handle myself.

I've no reason to doubt anything he's said. I just hope it's for real and a genuine attic find, even if over here an attic is called a loft!

mystrymachine, maybe it's not a story? And buying a slab is out of the question for me... I doubt I'll ever buy a slabbed book. I'd rather take the risk on raw for a fraction of the cost... And do deals like this!! :)

I am seriously considering sending some of my own off for grades though, ones to sell. For my own collection I'd rather have a book in mylar than slabbed. That said though, I've never actually held a slabbed book!

All great advice. Also, don't show up with cash in hand. Keep it in the car until you see the goods then make him walk back outside with you to get it.

And welcome to the boards!

I've always thought you're supposed to have cash in hand in order to close the deal without allowing time for second thoughts. Are there any examples of boardies being robbed when making a buy?

Ehh I always go with the cash in the car and either bring my brother who's packing or if I'm alone I go with loose clothes so I can.

I once met a guy I met and a lesser known place than Clist in a seriously dark parking lot to sell a $1400 gun. That was one of the few times soon as he got there I thought "wtf am I doing, hes going to kill me lol." He showed up reaking of cigs and full camo...good times

A thread created purely to elicit responses, the subject matter is immaterial.

Yeah right up there with "Hey! My Hot, Millionaire Model Girlfriend Just Asked Me to Marry Her - What Should I Do??"