• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whitman Treasury Edition books!

12 posts in this topic

I thought the burnished-age collectors in this area would get a kick out of these...

I came across these the other day! I love Treasury Editions... I don't think I've ever seen a batch in such great shape.

These are sitting at NM- to NM+ across the board (minus the Close Encounters, which is the rougher book of the lot).

Great stories... great art. I wish they still pumped these out...

Does anyone else have any of these Whitman books? Post em up!

Superman vs. Ali! :P

PBTi7iu.jpg

o5msZbR.jpg

m7miRyF.jpg

J4uO6ue.jpg

My best Treasury Story was slowly buying up a number of nice-grade Christmas Treasuries (both Marvel and DC) then giving them to my kids and nephews for Christmas one year.

I got to see kids actually reading and enjoying this stuff, rather than entombing them in plastic crypts. I went over to see my nephews awhile ago, and the Treasuries were still sitting in their bookcases.

That's an awesome story, Joe...

I love the collaboration between creators, even across publisher lines. Nowadays we get Fox, Marvel, and Sony getting into contests...

That's what happens when creative companies become massive corporations - they start exhibiting antisocial and psychopathic behavior.

Great stories... great art. I wish they still pumped these out...

Great find! These are getting harder and harder to find in grade, and I expect a decent price jump in the not too distant future...

In terms of still pumping these out, Image released the Enormous treasury a couple of years ago, and IDW has been releasing a few treasuries a year... They are pretty cool, and I'm sure the print runs are fairly low.

I have a ton of these books that I bought off the stand. I would imagine many collectors have them. SO as far as being hard to find in grade, I imagine if the price were high enough, you would see plenty of high grade copies surface.

I have about 300 of these myself, so I agree they're out there... I'm just not sure they're out there in high grade to any wide extent. I have a VF/VF+ Rudolph treasury from 1972, but I've never seen a NM copy. I have several of the Archie Christmas treasuries, but they're mostly mid-grade.

Recently , there have been listings on ebay for some of the DC treasuries (Superman vs. Wonder Woman, Superman vs. Shazam) for $400-$500 each in NM. I'm not suggesting anyone is getting those prices yet, but it's an indicator of the direction the prices appear to be headed.

The main brake on the value of these so far (at least at the high end) is the fact that CGC can't grade them... If that ever changes, watch out.

I would love to see a picture of your Rudolph 1972, my copy is about a fine.

I still have a few I am looking for, but the ones I have are pretty sweet. I think in NM or better they will fetch a decent price.

I have a ton of these books that I bought off the stand. I would imagine many collectors have them. SO as far as being hard to find in grade, I imagine if the price were high enough, you would see plenty of high grade copies surface.

I have about 300 of these myself, so I agree they're out there... I'm just not sure they're out there in high grade to any wide extent. I have a VF/VF+ Rudolph treasury from 1972, but I've never seen a NM copy. I have several of the Archie Christmas treasuries, but they're mostly mid-grade.

Recently , there have been listings on ebay for some of the DC treasuries (Superman vs. Wonder Woman, Superman vs. Shazam) for $400-$500 each in NM. I'm not suggesting anyone is getting those prices yet, but it's an indicator of the direction the prices appear to be headed.

The main brake on the value of these so far (at least at the high end) is the fact that CGC can't grade them... If that ever changes, watch out.

Pretty ridicules for someone paying raw NM $400-$500 for those prices, but then again...recently I paid over $300 for a NM/MT DC Limited Collectors' Edition C51 (Batman Vs. Ra's Al Ghul) on eBay. I was lucky it turned out to be a 9.8. The last time I seen a true NM/MT was way back in 1999 on eBay.

Now if treasuries' were slabbed...then I can see those prices. CGC has competition now. It's only time to see which one will be courageous enough to start slabbing treasuries.

Yeah, I would love to see a picture as well. Post them up if you can!

I'll see if I have it handy... It may be in storage.

Then I'll have to learn how to post a photo... I'm such a Luddite.

I have to figure it out this weekend anyway, as I made another major bronze find this week that should set some boardies abuzz...

How's that for being cryptic?

It turns that I have two boxes of treasuries at home., but none of the Rudolph treasuries... I will try to get my hands on them soon and post some images.

In keeping with the theme, though, here's a picture of another (scarcer?) Whitman treasury.

IMG_00000768_zpsvw6vriyk.jpg

In terms of the other "big find" I referenced (and knowing that some on this thread are interested in Whitmans), I just posted a picture over in Comics General of the fabled DC Comics Presents #22 Whitman edition. Here's the thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3505150&fpart=31

If I'm counting correctly, this is the 6th copy known to exist.