• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these comics would you rather have...

37 posts in this topic

Seems like FF 52 wins in a landslide. How about FF 52 7.5 W vs. Iron Man 55 8.0 OW/W vs. Iron Man 1 8.5 OW/W?

Agree with much of what has been said about the FF 52 but if you are now asking vs Iron Man 1 in meaningfully nicer grade I would choose the IM 1. FF 52 is prob a cooler book but Iron Man 1 rocks IMHO.

Neither. Both books are massively expensive considering much more reasonably priced interesting alternatives.

If you are choosing between those two books, you are probably just jumping on the hype bandwagon rather than collecting something that actually interests you.

+1 Neither is in my collecting focus, and I try not to jump on "hot" books. But I guess if I had either I could sell it and get something that interests me. So whichever would sell faster and for more would be my answer.

Not sure why but I am getting a little peeved at how people are dissing Thor 165.

It's fine to like FF52 more-- but do we need to make it sound like Thor 165 is some sort of garbage over rated book?

Yep.

FF52- a cool story with the FF facing a new hero and introducing the technological wonders of Wakanda, with a sub plot involving the Inhumas.

Thor165- a cool story of a man made god stealing the woman of a Norse god, with a sub plot of Odin searching for Galactus.

Both books have great stories and great art (though I'd give the inking edge to Sinnott over Colletta anyday).

So if you're talking about the original intent of the books - entertainment provided by top-notch creators, then I'd say they're fairly equal.

If you're talking about treating comics like pork bellies, then sure, FF52 is the commodity to go with.

Who has time to read nowadays, anyway? It's all about bringing home the bacon! :)

Neither. Both books are massively expensive considering much more reasonably priced interesting alternatives.

If you are choosing between those two books, you are probably just jumping on the hype bandwagon rather than collecting something that actually interests you.

+1

Not sure why but I am getting a little peeved at how people are dissing Thor 165.

It's fine to like FF52 more-- but do we need to make it sound like Thor 165 is some sort of garbage over rated book?

I think I explained myself quite clearly each time I expressed my viewpoint about it: surely not "garbage" but in the context of FF and Thor issues of the same period, a pretty much forgettable story and almost irrelevant in the development of the character. So, not garbage but overrated for sure on its own merits, at least for its content.

If one likes the cover, OK, but I am tired to see it hyped as "Warlock's first full appearance" because it clearly is neither a first apperance (by any means), nor a Warlock truly relevant story.

If one says otherwise it means it is either misleading himself or has never truly read the Fantastic Four issues.

FF52- a cool story with the FF facing a new hero and introducing the technological wonders of Wakanda, with a sub plot involving the Inhumas.

Thor165- a cool story of a man made god stealing the woman of a Norse god, with a sub plot of Odin searching for Galactus.

Both books have great stories and great art (though I'd give the inking edge to Sinnott over Colletta anyday).

Honestly Ben, a "great story"? How many Thor stories you have in that range that are objectively and undoubtedly greater than that? The Pluto story straight before that is a lot more relevant, so are the Galactus origin ones, and I am sure many slip my attention right now.

But #165-166? It’s an average story at best, like a good number of Thor stories it can be seen as a "filler", IMO.

I actually just sold my Thor 165. I collect Warlock Comics, but I just can't buy into that one having any lasting significance.

I'd go with FF 52 for sure.

At least David understands what I was trying to say – to have the full development of Warlock as a character, I obviously wanted to have these issues, but it is really amazing how hyped Thor #165 has become… for nothing or very little. :(

I would also take FF52 over Thor 165 - but I think FF52 is massively over-hyped right now. The fact that it sells for more and is viewed as more important (by some) than FF48 blows my mind. You can also throw FF45 into that mix as well (i.e., massively over-hyped and overvalued IMO).