• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A market for highgrade gold keys?

37 posts in this topic

I guess I won't be winning too many auctions on slabbed pre-1966 9.4 silver age books using that mindset.

Um, nope. tongue.gif

Actually, you can usually pick up 9.4 Doctor Solars and Magnuses in the teens and later for 2X guide or even less.

I guess I won't be winning too many auctions on slabbed pre-1966 9.4 silver age books using that mindset.

Um, nope. tongue.gif

Actually, you can usually pick up 9.4 Doctor Solars and Magnuses in the teens and later for 2X guide or even less.

Not a half bad deal, then. thumbsup2.gif

I have 3 Gold Keys that I intend to aquire in HG eventually...

Doctor Solar #1

Magnus #1

and the ultimate HG Gold Key key...The Phantom #1 which goes for multiples whenever I see it offered...

I have 3 Gold Keys that I intend to aquire in HG eventually...

Doctor Solar #1

Magnus #1

Solar #1, definitely findable in HG. I sold the Mohawk Valley copy (slabbed as a 9.0) a few years ago, the Pacific Coast copy is a 9.6 (currently owned by Doug as far as I know) and there is at least one 9.4 slabbed copy.

Magnus #1 in HG... Good luck!

I have not seen that many Solar #1s around above 9.0 ..although I haven't looked that hard...but to be clear...I'm only looking for raw copies... wink.gif

Just using the slabbed copies as an illustration of the availability of HG copies. thumbsup2.gif

and the ultimate HG Gold Key key...The Phantom #1 which goes for multiples whenever I see it offered...

Any idea if Ace Comics #11 with the first ever comic book appearance of the Phantom would also be going for over guide. This book came out prior to Action Comics #1 and never seems to show up in the marketplace.

If I remember correctly, I believe I have the Church copy of this book. Nothing to get excited about here since it is one of those second hand used Church books which would probably fall somewhere into the mid-grade range.

Still, better than nothing at all, especially since I picked it up when top guide was somewhere only in the $400 range.

i sure hope that there is a market for high grade ogld keys. I have a bunch that are very nice. I hav eposted scans of many of them under other threads. i had a complete run of Solars, but sold off the nmber one. attached is the number 2

730685-docsolar2.jpg

730685-docsolar2.jpg.82adac8467bd02f88529063890821521.jpg

They don't Guide for very much in the first place, so you won't get very much unless you get 9.4 or better. Even then the multiples for the later issues are not big.

Any Magnus 1-10, Turoks, Tarzans or Koraks that you think would grade 9.4 or higher? I could be interested.

Nice books, jmg! thumbsup2.gif

I agree, you should probably pre-screen for 9.4. If the books are pre-1975 and you're paying $30 a pop to grade 'em, you'll probably only break even if they don't grade 9.4 or better.

I've noticed that PGC mint has lotsa gold keys up for sale at high prices. Some seem to sell, like the Dark shadows books, but others have been languishing on the website for as long as I can remember.

I listed a couple other HG gold keys on ebay this week, this time around with reserves that are in the multiples yet, I feel, still within the realm of reason. Should be interesting to see if people bite? confused-smiley-013.gif

It looks like i was wrong I must not have sold my Solar # 1. I sold a number one at The Schwartz con in LA many many years ago back when it was bouncing around after they closed the Ambassador hotel. I have attached the scan that I found along with this post.

I also have a full run of Mighty Sampson that as I recall is NM or above. Last time I looked they guided for so little that they were not worth the grading fee

731230-solar1.jpg

731230-solar1.jpg.4e72afa561866e47c72ae67789fdbb2f.jpg

Speaking of Gold Keys, I just pulled the trigger on one myself...the Lancelot Link #1 on Comiclink. Last thing I expected to buy nowadays was a Gold key, but who can resist that cute little monkey? grin.gif

Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp,

The Simian who ain't no Simp!

http://comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?ba...e%3Dy&id=606000

I am the seller of that book! I am just trying out comiclink for the first time as a seller. Mainly cause I'm tired of selling my stuff on ebay then seeing it on comiclink a week later for twice the price -- or more. FYI, I shipped it out to comiclink already, so you should have it soon. Hope you like it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Joe