• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Throw Away Comic Books?

32 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering if anyone would toss out a comic book for any reason. I realize that most moderns are generally in decent condition and can be donated to comics4kids or the salvation army. However, if you owned a bronze book that was listed as $5 in NM condition, and your copy was an absolute dog, would you take that piece of [#@$%!!!] and tear it into little pieces. I've personally never tossed a comic book, even though it just takes up space.

i was sore tempted last night going through a bunch of smoky smelling wrinkled early bronze age avengers it was my misfortune to pick up on ebay.

but no. not even that squarebound ish of "The War" that i picked up god knows where

I have thrown away 90s dreck that I got as freebies from Joe Koch in his shipments when the books were not suitable for donation to charity.

I hate those! How many copies of "The Ferret" does one person need?!

I have dumped boxes of '90s comics in shopworn condition that I had no storage space for, which had also been rejected by charity shops. I say dumped, but I did throw them in recycling bins. For some reason I still felt a twinge of guilt when I did it.

I have thrown away 90s dreck that I got as freebies from Joe Koch in his shipments when the books were not suitable for donation to charity.

i dunno why, but the name of that book just cracks me up for some reason. is his superpower involve emitting a terrible odor while smearing his feces all over the place?

I have dumped boxes of '90s comics in shopworn condition that I had no storage space for, which had also been rejected by charity shops. I say dumped, but I did throw them in recycling bins. For some reason I still felt a twinge of guilt when I did it.

I can't bring myself to do it, even though I'd love to take my Malibu and Defiant collections and tear them to shreds. I figure that if I own a fair copy of a bronze book (let's say Avengers #160), and I'm listing 10 other BA Avengers books (in mid-grade condition) on eBay, I'll just toss this book in as a freebie. Maybe, the buyer will read this book before tossing it.

I've used books as kindling. I've found that coverless,destroyed Dells are very good as fire starters.

About 2 years ago I bought 3 long boxes of 1990's independents. They make quite good kindling (sp?) as well.

i dunno why, but the name of that book just cracks me up for some reason. is his superpower involve emitting a terrible odor while smearing his feces all over the place?

You don't really imagine that I read the damn thing, do you?

About 12 years ago I threw away a ton of 70's Marvel dreck, including one book which recently sold for over $1K in 9.8! Fortunately, my copies were probably around the VF range and were pence priced.

I recently threw some early 90's Marvel dreck and if anything from that pile ever sells for 4 figures, I resolve to give up comics, alcohol and gambling.

I can't bring myself to do it, even though I'd love to take my Malibu and Defiant collections and tear them to shreds. I figure that if I own a fair copy of a bronze book (let's say Avengers #160), and I'm listing 10 other BA Avengers books (in mid-grade condition) on eBay, I'll just toss this book in as a freebie. Maybe, the buyer will read this book before tossing it.

Were any of those Malibu Issues Prime Or their version of Avengers what ever they were called

I can't bring myself to do it, even though I'd love to take my Malibu and Defiant collections and tear them to shreds.

Hmmm... which Defiant books do you have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3983&item=6510458363&rd=1

Just some regular copies. I don't have any variants or rare books in my collection.

Were any of those Malibu Issues Prime Or their version of Avengers what ever they were called

Ultraforce....yes, I bought those issues as well. Luckily, I stopped buying these books (Hardcase, Mantra, Sludge, Exiles, etc.) after about 6 months.

I can't bring myself to do it, even though I'd love to take my Malibu and Defiant collections and tear them to shreds.

Hmmm... which Defiant books do you have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3983&item=6510458363&rd=1

That is a nice set, but not complete. He's missing the issue of Previews that had Warriors of Plasm #0 bound into it.

I have a copy of that. cloud9.gif

I actually liked Warriors of Plasm. It was an interesting concept and was well written and drawn. Good stuff!

I threw away a small box of comics in an apartment building I used to live in. A couple of months later, I'm in my upstairs neighbor's apartment and after I mention something about comics, he goes into his closet and pulls out a box of comics he has to show me and ask if they are worth anything. You guessed it, the same box I had thrown away! I wonder if they actually made it into the garbage truck the second time they were thrown out?

Ultraforce....yes, I bought those issues as well. Luckily, I stopped buying these books (Hardcase, Mantra, Sludge, Exiles, etc.) after about 6 months.

You still have Prime and Ultraforce. Only ones I liked!

How much?