• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of these are worthy of long term?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

"Some hare argued that Sub-mariner 34 and 35 are the actual true first appearance of the Defenders before they were given their name."

I think these two issues were a 'try-out'. If there were ever a group of mis-guided, egotistical, anti-heroes, these three (Subby, Hulk and the Surfer) would be it! I've been looking for a nice #35 for a long time (and this was before they were singled out in the guide), but I haven't found one yet. You holding back on these greggy? grin.gif

Last year I saw a Boston copy of #34 (no 35), but the guy wanted 4X guide and it wasn't NM (maybe a nice VF/NM).

Hey Jamie...

Not really worried (is my too big?)shocked.gif ... just noticed it changed late last night while there were less members online. Seemed as if someone misunderstood my comments and wanted to punish meconfused.gif No biggie. I am new here though... so I did notice.

Hey... I saw "Unbreakable" again last night. I'll comment at your post.

Bru

I knew there was no link between the 2 characters, but thought it might still be considered by some to be a worthwhile collectible companion to DD 131.

In my What If? post I mentioned how Spider-Girl can be looked at similarly. The recent character we see today had her 1st App. in What If...? 105 v2 and the CGC label credits... the 1st Appearance of Spider-Girl... while realistically (like NF 15) the first appearance of a character with the same name is What If? #7 v1 whre Betty Brant is a lame version of same. No current SG fans are stocking up on that one either laugh.gif

There's more info at the post...

Yeh maybe the "What if Peter Parker was the clone" issue will become very valuable...oh wait, it did for a little while.. how sad :p

Anyways, MTU #1 is tough to get in high grade...I'd bet it has a pretty low print run for it's era.

Brian

....bronzebruce.............did you get the HRH #1 9.6 from ebay?

..........if so what did you pay for it? (PM me if you don't want it public knowledge)

........i have been looking for a nice cgc copy of that book for ages now with no luck, i like you, am a page quality freak so i always look for white pages............but no luck so far............. frown.gif

.........yeah, like james says the stars thing is no big deal............and you can never tell who knocks you down because posters can make themselves invisible............ frown.gif

.......you never know who's lurking out there.............. shocked.gif

Anyways, MTU #1 is tough to get in high grade...I'd bet it has a pretty low print run for it's era.

Nah, there's tons of copies out there, and the book was incredibly popular off the stands. The problem is, that serious Gold and Silver collectors thought the book was a joke and it was not actively collected by anyone other than kids and actual comic readers.

MTU #1 took a long time to gain any respect from collectors, and coupled with the black cover, that's why you find so many F-VF copies and virtually no NM ones.

On 9/25/2002 at 11:14 PM, blowout said:

"look for an X-Men #94, GS X-men #1 or a Hulk #181 to invest in."

...........all these books have reached a value that prohibits investment......if you bought any in the late 80's then that would have been a good investment............... grin.gif

I would add gold and Amazon stock as well.

18 hours ago, the blob said:

I'd buy apple in 2002 too

Haha. Glad to see someone replied to this. I hit the wrong button and ended up back in 2002. Kinda interesting experience. Stayed around in there and wow, plenty of outdated or wrong advice. This person's advice turned out to be wrong but was actually good advice at the time. They were right for 10 years. I will try to never use a grin gif or emoji though in future post. Would be a good thread, what is worst advice you have received in the forum. 

13 minutes ago, piper said:

I should have bought an  IM 1 (1968). Like @greggy, I thought they were too common even in high grade.

I remember being at a convention in the late 70's, and one dealer having piles of IMSM 1, Hulk 102, Sub-Mariner 1 and Iron Man 9.  I think I picked up all my copies of those books there.  No IM 1s though.

It was 20 years later until I traded my EC Slipcase full of Two-Fisted Tales for a NM- copy of IM 1.  In retrospect, it had to be one of the best trades I ever made, especially considering it was a storefront dealer.