• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 4

170 posts in this topic

That's a shame,because this is supposed to be a fun game. (tsk)

Fun? Don't you remember Nik's grading contests where he'd get angry at people data mining the Census looking for subs on his account within a certain date range? One time, it was like bulls eye after bulls eye after bulls eye, even on trick books - grades way off the median. Lots of gaming of the system has gone on in the past.

Things got pretty ugly in some contests, with some organizers going so far as to getting others to submit their books over a longer period of time.

Niks games were legendary.

Does anyone foresee a 2 part grading contest where all 10 or 20 books are graded by us....raw.... before they are sent to CGC.....then, after they are done.... the whole reveal could be done in one weekend

Go for it! :banana:

Does anyone foresee a 2 part grading contest where all 10 or 20 books are graded by us....raw.... before they are sent to CGC.....then, after they are done.... the whole reveal could be done in one weekend

I seem to recall this being done on a slightly smaller scale - maybe around 10 books - at least once. No prizes involved but a test your skills type of thing. The books might have already been submitted, shortening the wait time.

I seem to recall this being done on a slightly smaller scale - maybe around 10 books - at least once. No prizes involved but a test your skills type of thing. The books might have already been submitted, shortening the wait time.

can't be me. I'm bookless :(

I was actually wondering if anyone had ever tried it without CGC being involved.

Maybe 50-100 raw books, including examples from both ends of the spectrum and points in between.

Secret grades submitted. Mean or average numerical total amounts to a book's assigned grade. Player with the most bullseyes submitted or points accrued would be the winner.

Would be a pretty cool thing if you could have tons of people sign up.

Please don't get me wrong, the current contest is an absolute blast, and has been executed beautifully.

Just saying it might be interesting to see how people would do in a blind grading contest, rather than a contest that essentially challenges participants to guess what grade CGC assigned the book.

Anyhow. The current contest rocks and I'm just thinking out loud.

That's a shame,because this is supposed to be a fun game. (tsk)

Fun? Don't you remember Nik's grading contests where he'd get angry at people data mining the Census looking for subs on his account within a certain date range? One time, it was like bulls eye after bulls eye after bulls eye, even on trick books - grades way off the median. Lots of gaming of the system has gone on in the past.

Things got pretty ugly in some contests, with some organizers going so far as to getting others to submit their books over a longer period of time.

Niks games were legendary.

I really enjoyed Niks games.....but Thirdgreenhams game have the same feel to it. Thanks for continuing something that a lot of us looked forward too! :headbang:

Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought the Spider-Man had a significant spine tic on the back cover. I only gave it a 9.4.

There are two slight bends on the back cover spine. :gossip:

That's what I thought - a larger one and a smaller one. I didn't know a book like that could get a 9.8 or even a 9.6. I guess I do now.

Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought the Spider-Man had a significant spine tic on the back cover. I only gave it a 9.4.

There are two slight bends on the back cover spine. :gossip:

That's what I thought - a larger one and a smaller one. I didn't know a book like that could get a 9.8 or even a 9.6. I guess I do now.

It's a crapshoot.

Grading is subjective, no matter who is grading it, even CGC.

:cool:

It's subjective with tight rules so the precision is pretty good if accuracy may be a bit off