• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laughable overgrading on Ebay

28 posts in this topic

Why go all the way to ebay to find examples of laughable overgrading? Just scroll down to the marketplace.

Only, too bad for you, you're not allowed to point it out because that would be thread-crapping or something equally bad! (tsk)

Right.

Then again there are glowing examples of even Overstreet advisor dealers, who use their status in the marketplace as an indefensible shield of "strict grading"....who post up raw copper key books on ebay as "NM" when they are actually F/VF....and silver age books as FN+, that look more like VG/FN.

There are 3 Overstreet advisors, just off the top of my head, who sell sizable volume of raw books on eBay using such shody grading techniques.

Speaking of being slammed by Overstreet advisors on an eBay...a while back I bought a Marvel Superheroes # 13 , described as GD, with a front cover scan....which matched the description.

I didn't get around to processing the book for a few months....when I finally did so, I opened the bag up to see that the book was missing the entire back cover.

Why go all the way to ebay to find examples of laughable overgrading? Just scroll down to the marketplace.

Only, too bad for you, you're not allowed to point it out because that would be thread-crapping or something equally bad! (tsk)

Right.

Then again there are glowing examples of even Overstreet advisor dealers, who use their status in the marketplace as an indefensible shield of "strict grading"....who post up raw copper key books on ebay as "NM" when they are actually F/VF....and silver age books as FN+, that look more like VG/FN.

There are 3 Overstreet advisors, just off the top of my head, who sell sizable volume of raw books on eBay using such shody grading techniques.

Speaking of being slammed by Overstreet advisors on an eBay...a while back I bought a Marvel Superheroes # 13 , described as GD, with a front cover scan....which matched the description.

I didn't get around to processing the book for a few months....when I finally did so, I opened the bag up to see that the book was missing the entire back cover.

I think they are worse than anyone else because they know better.

Here is another nice example of superior grading....the seller has it at both VF & VF+...I guess it was hard for him to decide how nice the book is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-359-1st-Appearence-of-Barbara-Gordon-Batgirl-DC-1967-VF-/181786909718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a53581c16

In a case like this... who cares what 'grade' they assign? It was a nr auction with plenty of pictures and a fairly in-depth description. Buyers aren't stupd; the book sold for about GD/2.0 money. No one saw the 'VF' in the description and bid $800. This was actually a pretty good listing.

Here is another nice example of superior grading....the seller has it at both VF & VF+...I guess it was hard for him to decide how nice the book is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-359-1st-Appearence-of-Barbara-Gordon-Batgirl-DC-1967-VF-/181786909718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a53581c16

In a case like this... who cares what 'grade' they assign? It was a nr auction with plenty of pictures and a fairly in-depth description. Buyers aren't stupd; the book sold for about GD/2.0 money. No one saw the 'VF' in the description and bid $800. This was actually a pretty good listing.

I care since I posted it...that should be pretty obvious to you.

I also posted the listing before the sale ended although that should not matter in the fact that it is laughable overgrading. The fact that you like the listing makes me hope you don't sell on ebay. :P

I care since I posted it...that should be pretty obvious to you.

I also posted the listing before the sale ended although that should not matter in the fact that it is laughable overgrading. The fact that you like the listing makes me hope you don't sell on ebay. :P

I very occasionally sell on eBay. My screen name is bblack0008 so you can avoid me. As for me, if I see an ebay listing, I just move along like it's no big deal.