• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch covers shouldnt have grades...

59 posts in this topic

Because an original cover costs thousands of dollars while you can get a sketch recreation for hundreds. Herb Trimpe did sketches based on Hulk 181 for thousands of people. Only one owns the original art to it.

Because an original cover costs thousands of dollars while you can get a sketch recreation for hundreds. Herb Trimpe did sketches based on Hulk 181 for thousands of people. Only one owns the original art to it.

You're confusing OA with published art.

This is OA:

house-of-secrets-8-cover.png

This is also OA:

dream-death-jeremy-bastian.jpg

I agree. If someone spends $200 on an artist sketch, does it really matter if the book itself is a 9.8 or a 9.4?

To some people the grade is important. Which makes no sense, hence the term collect the art not the grade.

I tracked down the news. I would think it would be used quite frequently. I'd imagine CGC may follow suite. I'm sure many would love to have this as an option for OA such as done on backing boards, or even 11x17's. I personally prefer to frame those though but would take the skepticism out of buying OA on the secondary market. Even if it were to crack it open and frame it.

CGC already has an option for slabbing backing boards which don't result in them being graded.

I don't understand why a comic book that has been sketched on shouldn't be graded like any other comic book - if you're just looking for a way to display your sketches, there are plenty of cheaper, better ways to do so than sending them off to be slabbed. Heck, why not just buy OA to begin with?

Very good point. I wasn't aware they did boards. Maleev was probably my last art I plan on getting on a book unless it's a remark thrown in. Focusing on 11x17's and backing boards now to be framed for my PC.

I tracked down the news. I would think it would be used quite frequently. I'd imagine CGC may follow suite. I'm sure many would love to have this as an option for OA such as done on backing boards, or even 11x17's. I personally prefer to frame those though but would take the skepticism out of buying OA on the secondary market. Even if it were to crack it open and frame it.

CGC already has an option for slabbing backing boards which don't result in them being graded.

I don't understand why a comic book that has been sketched on shouldn't be graded like any other comic book - if you're just looking for a way to display your sketches, there are plenty of cheaper, better ways to do so than sending them off to be slabbed. Heck, why not just buy OA to begin with?

Very good point. I wasn't aware they did boards. Maleev was probably my last art I plan on getting on a book unless it's a remark thrown in. Focusing on 11x17's and backing boards now to be framed for my PC.

It's pretty clear that a lot of people are heading in the same direction as you. I remember when the first comic book sketch covers came out and it was a mass stampede to get them sketched & slabbed - it seemed like no matter who did the art (and the quality of said art), the books would sell for insane premiums just due to the newness of it all.

That's definitely not the case anymore - I see fewer & fewer pure sketch covers being submitted at shows; there's been a clear shift over the last couple of years to more traditional OA (both published and un-published).

I think this is a great service for people who have gotten sketches that might be years old and not in the best condition but want to get them protected and of certified that they are the artist, etc.

I wonder if this is for art that is only new with a witness or can you get older art certified even if there was no witness...

Are artists typically open to do a sketch on a board at the same price as they would a blank comic? What made me wonder is at a con recently I had a tough time finding a blank that did not have a massive logo. It would be a fraction of the 11x17 cost and work nice in a few places around the house. (Areas my wife permits said art that is lol)

I like the idea. Curious about pricing as I havent seen anything regarding that yet. I would think that the pricing for the art should be cheaper as there is no grade assigned, they will save manpower and time by not having to have graders look over the entire issue. The price will likely have a fairly large influence on whether or not the service will be utilized.

+1

if you're just looking for a way to display your sketches, there are plenty of cheaper, better ways to do so than sending them off to be slabbed. Heck, why not just buy OA to begin with?

agreed. most art collectors dont really care for the slabs nor do they really care for sketch covers.

Supposedly, they are witnessing the art, slabbing it with a yellow witnessed or red as authenticated. So its slabbed and authenticated. No grade

But what if they had some really awesome comic sized art that they would like certified as being by the artist and signed by the artist but don't care about a grade?

if you're just looking for a way to display your sketches, there are plenty of cheaper, better ways to do so than sending them off to be slabbed. Heck, why not just buy OA to begin with?

agreed. most art collectors dont really care for the slabs nor do they really care for sketch covers.

But what if they had some really awesome comic sized art that they would like certified as being by the artist and signed by the artist but don't care about a grade?

The OA market seems to do just fine without this certification :shrug:

Well isn't OA significantly more expensive? Also you get to dictate what is drawn with Sketch covers, which is obviously not true with OA.

Unless you mean commisioned peices on paper as opposed to skecth covers, in which case only the price would be different.

When I first read this, I thought you meant OA as what the artists drew for the published comics??????

That's Original Art (actually published in a comic book).

I'm talking about Original Art that is not published but done at a Convention, etc.

They have a harder time selling unless slabbed...

Well isn't OA significantly more expensive? Also you get to dictate what is drawn with Sketch covers, which is obviously not true with OA.

You're also confusing OA with published art :)

Any sketch you get from an artist is OA (eg. "original art").

I think that its a good idea to have the option of grading it or not. Sure, you can say I dont care if the sketch comes back a 9.0, or even a 6.0, but if you have a unique art piece and you chose to display it, a low grade is, subconsciously, taking away from the art itself to some people.

Whereas if you have a mint copy of a book, and know it would grade high, you can then elect to assign it a grade.

I know that sometimes I go to cons and I see an artist I wasnt expecting to see and I immediately run to a nearby booth to grab a blank copy of a book I want the artist to sketch, at that point I am at the mercy of finding a decent enough copy for him/her to sketch and I will most likely NOT want to have it graded, just witnessed

I'm talking about Original Art that is not published but done at a Convention, etc.

Not in the slightest. It's harder to sell a comic book sketch cover if it's not slabbed - for any art (published or unpublished) that's not on a comic book, that just isn't true at all.

The days of comic book sketch covers getting a premium over paper art are long gone - particularly seeing that a lot of artists are now charging pretty much the same prices for sketch covers as they do for larger, paper-based sketches. If an artist charges you $500 to do a full figure + background and you have a choice between a comic book sketch cover and an 11" x 17" bristol board piece, nobody is going to pick the sketch cover.

Not in the slightest. It's harder to sell a comic book sketch cover if it's not slabbed - for any art (published or unpublished) that's not on a comic book, that just isn't true at all.

yeah, commissions in general have a harder time selling than published art. but that said, i think there is probably a wider market for commissions on paper than commissions on sketch covers (slabbed or not).

The days of comic book sketch covers getting a premium over paper art are long gone - particularly seeing that a lot of artists are now charging pretty much the same prices for sketch covers as they do for larger, paper-based sketches. If an artist charges you $500 to do a full figure + background and you have a choice between a comic book sketch cover and an 11" x 17" bristol board piece, nobody is going to pick the sketch cover.

This is almost universally true. There are people like me who choose to do sketch covers. But the smart money is on bigger art = more value. I just really like the format and don't care about the resale value.