• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about First Class shipping of comics

12 posts in this topic

Is it true that First Class shipping comes with free tracking (both if purchased online or at a physical PO)?

I could have sworn that this was the case, and that every package that is sent first class comes with a label number that you can search on the USPS website and track.

I am finding conflicting accounts when searching online, so for those of you that ship comics First Class, are you paying extra for tracking?

I believe they just changed this. So that could be why you are seeing conflicting accounts. I ship via paypal/ebay and for first class shipping tracking is free .

Thanks for the response.

I believe you are correct that it is free if you print out your shipping labels online, but I could have sworn you still receive a "label number" on your receipt that you can track on the USPS website when paying at a physical Post Office.

I always print off my own postage and it comes with the tracking on it. You can also request at that time to get email updates that follow the package along its points of scanning.

I believe the recent postal rate increase added media mail to the lost of items that get free tracking included on packages as well. It used to be an additional 23 cents to add tracking. First class always had as did PM.

I never use the PO counter to mail something or have them print off my postage. It takes longer and often times you don't have a way to keep track of the tracking information very well. Plus-- you do not get the discount that you get via eBay or even the online USPS postage purchase. There are limits to the USPS that eBay doesn't have-- like not being able to buy media mail postage and some other kinds as well. Almost everything I send is through the eBay or Amazon shipping application and if not I use the USPS or UPS online method to pay/create my labels with tracking.

hope that helps. avoid the lines and save some money.

I don't have a prinert so I've been going to the post office and paying there for the last few years.

The USPS just made tracking included in first class postage.

It used to not be, but they still put a sticker on your package with a "tracking number ", sticker even said that , on your package but the receipt said PID Number. They would tell you that is not the tracking number but I've been loading the number into eBay for a while and it would work as a tracking number and track the package.

So on the receipt where the PID # was , it now says Tracking Number.

The prices just went up a little also.

I don't have a prinert so I've been going to the post office and paying there for the last few years.

The USPS just made tracking included in first class postage.

It used to not be, but they still put a sticker on your package with a "tracking number ", sticker even said that , on your package but the receipt said PID Number. They would tell you that is not the tracking number but I've been loading the number into eBay for a while and it would work as a tracking number and track the package.

So on the receipt where the PID # was , it now says Tracking Number.

The prices just went up a little also.

Printers are really inexpensive these days-- though they do try to rape you on toner unless you buy the generic stuff (which I do and it works fine).

I cannot imagine not having a printer-- to print both packing slips and postage. If you are sending out enough packages, it will pay for it self in time (no more waiting in line, the USPS will even pick up your packages) and money (you get a discount by printing your own). plus any decent printer comes with a scanner which is really helpful selling comics.

IF you are selling via eBay, printing through their system automatically places the tracking information into the system and sends your buyer an email with the information. You also can get an even bigger discount on shipping charges through them. Of all the places to buy postage-- the counter of the USPS is by far the most expensive and biggest waste of time. I cannot stress that enough.

Let me add that in the past year and a half, all packages I created my own label for included tracking for free with the exception being media mail at 23 cents additional (this is now also waved).

I am trying to explain how much you can save doing these things. But if you must-- by all means keep going to the post office. Heck-- you could use the kiosk in the lobby of most post office to both weigh and buy/print your labels (including the tracking label) and still avoid the line. If you have a camera phone, you could take a picture of that tracking # too. I cannot imagine all the gas, time, and effort spent mailing packages that way. Maybe if I only had one or two things a month.

anyway-- goodluck. I have bought from people on eBay who make it sound like they have no idea how the postal system works. I've paid for expedited delivery and they fail to include tracking information--- and I know exactly why-- they take it the counter at USPS. It isn't any faster or more efficient. IN fact, it is less customer friendly as I have no way of tracking my package.

When my USPS program on my computer updated recently, it said I had to have an approved mail scale connected to the computer to use the program anymore. So I stopped using it (except for ebay). Don't you need a scale connected to your computer now?

When my USPS program on my computer updated recently, it said I had to have an approved mail scale connected to the computer to use the program anymore. So I stopped using it (except for ebay). Don't you need a scale connected to your computer now?
Not that I'm aware of. But I don't use a "USPS program". I use the USPS website and Paypal. My scale is external.

Cool. I'll check into that. The program I used was downloaded directly from usps.com, it was some some program for business users. I can't remember the name, but I got rid of it when it said it wouldn't function without an approved scale. Click and Ship for Business, maybe?

I'll add some comments to this. I have an eBay store, and considered a top rated seller (means I've hit all the thresholds), doing about 250 comic sales per year. Using first class shipping is the backbone of my eBay store.

My method is that I use the Ebay or Paypal to purchase and print the label (with the free tracking number) with postage; I don't have a scale connected to my PC. I usually can estimate (depending on comic size and cardboard thickness) that my package is either 6 or 7 ounces. I past by a USPS with a kiosk, use it just to weigh the package, and then cancel- if I'm off by an ounce or so (remember that everything is rounded up to the nearest ounce- 6.2 ounces is 7), I place an extra 20 cent stamp (the added expense per ounce according to the USPS site); I carry a few extra 20 cent stamps into the PO (can purchase these at the kiosk in sets of 5).

I use to print out labels with Click-n-ship and pay at the counter; a couple of years ago, the USPS changed their policy to charge 90 cents per package at the counter for tracking for first class. I couple of kind clerks figured out a way to allow this without charging; another having a bad day, when seeing I did not intend to pay the extra 90 cents at the window, placed a useless label over the printed out tracking number. At this time another kind clerk showed to how to use the kiosk just to get the weight, then cancel, and then print out using the Purchase stamps- other amount option. All this was before the April change in USPS policy to not allow the click-n-ship for business unless you have an attached meter; so I use the eBay/Paypal service- I wonder if we've heard the end of this?

Last time I checked, the kiosk will allow you to purchase tracking, but at that addtional 90 cents for first class.