• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: eBay Top Rated Plus shipping discounts?

28 posts in this topic

As our sig line says, we've been away from comics for about 15 years. We've also been away from eBay for many years.

Question:

We now qualify for Top Rated Plus status and wondering if the attached image of USPS shipping discounts is correct.

If so, there are no discounts for 1st class domestic? Standard Prio Mail? Media Mail? etc...?

TIA

841016889_o.jpg

There are definitely discounts for First Class and Priority Domestic.

I think you are half right - I don't think there are discounts for First Class (domestic), but there are for Priority. The chart even shows Priority discounts.

Most of my shipments have been First Class, and I didn't see any discounts from before I was Top Rated after I was.

I don't see standard priority mail discounts in the chart. (shrug)

Items 4 and 5 are Priority Mail packages, and 6 is Flat Rate Priority.

Zone 3 & 6 respectively though. What am I missing?

Those are just examples. The chart can't show all the discounts for plain old Priority Mail, because they depend on weight and distance, so they showed a couple examples.

If you already have TRS just apply for the USPS savings program (if they still make you sign up). After it takes effect, when you print labels FROM EBAY you will see the discounted price. You may be able to go back to older shipments and attempt to "resend" another package and see if it shows the new rates.

I think you are half right - I don't think there are discounts for First Class (domestic), but there are for Priority. The chart even shows Priority discounts.

Most of my shipments have been First Class, and I didn't see any discounts from before I was Top Rated after I was.

I definitely get discounts on First Class, as that and Flat Rate are the two main ways I ship. However, I'm Top Rated Plus, so that might be the difference.

I definitely get discounts on First Class, as that and Flat Rate are the two main ways I ship. However, I'm Top Rated Plus, so that might be the difference.

Just as a matter of curiosity, can you see what a 6 oz First Class package costs you?

When I look at eBay for shipping such a package, it costs $10.65 for a Medium Flat Rate box, while through PayPal it is $11.30, so I am clearly getting a discount with eBay. However, shipping First Class shows the same cost in both places, $2.35.

And if I'm not mistaken, Top Rated Plus isn't a seller rating level, but is given to items from Top Rated sellers that have 1-day or less handling and a minimum 14-day return. Those items are the ones that qualify for reduced FVF, but I don't think it gives you anything else in the way of discounts.

It shows I get a discount, but the total price is the same as the one you quoted.

Your postage cost

Postage cost: $3.14

USPS Tracking™: Free

Your eBay Discount (25%): -$0.79

Total:$2.35

That's strange, maybe they're talking about window price discounted to online only?

I checked my Medium Flat Rate through Paypal to see if it matched up to yours and mine was $10.65. Are you checking the shipping rate through both in relation to an eBay transaction? Maybe that's the difference there.

It shows I get a discount, but the total price is the same as the one you quoted.

Your postage cost

Postage cost: $3.14

USPS Tracking™: Free

Your eBay Discount (25%): -$0.79

Total:$2.35

That's strange, maybe they're talking about window price discounted to online only?

I checked my Medium Flat Rate through Paypal to see if it matched up to yours and mine was $10.65. Are you checking the shipping rate through both in relation to an eBay transaction? Maybe that's the difference there.

Yeah, I've always shown a discount on First Class with eBay like that, which I think is like you said, the online price.

As for the Medium Flat rate, yes when I looked at PayPal I was pricing on a package NOT associated with an eBay transaction, just to make sure I was getting a non-Top Rated quote. On eBay transactions it doesn't seem to matter whether you print postage through the eBay page or from PayPal, both give you the Top Rated discounts (which I think are just the Post Office Commercial Plus price).

Our current shipping costs via eBay: Non TRS

6oz 1st Class = $2.35

Med Flat Rate Prio = $11.30

If TRS status doesn't offer 1st Class domestic like we originally asked, discounts won't help us much with comics. Unless there's a big discount for Regular Domestic Prio < 1#?