• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL'S ORIGINAL ART VAULT CRACKED - THE STORY

59 posts in this topic

And to quote Roddy McDowell in Star Trek 6 (?)........ "Time is the fire in which man burns".

Not to get off-topic here, but who did Roddy McDowell play in Star Trek VI??? I don't remember him at all. frown.gifwink.gif

No. makepoint.gif

He was in "The Undiscovered Country" (first new TNG movie).

Okay Star Trek VI is subtitled 'The Undiscovered Country' wink.gif It was the LAST of the 'original' ST crew (not counting 'Generations' - which is the FIRST of the TNG movies).

Just looked up Roddy McDowell on imdb.com and don't see him for any credit with any Star Trek movie or series...you guys sure you're not thinking of 'Christopher Plummer?'

Not being picky here just curious. wink.gif

You're right. It's Malcolm McDowell. foreheadslap.gif

And to quote Roddy McDowell in Star Trek 6 (?)........ "Time is the fire in which man burns".

Not to get off-topic here, but who did Roddy McDowell play in Star Trek VI??? I don't remember him at all. frown.gifwink.gif

No. makepoint.gif

Okay Star Trek VI is subtitled 'The Undiscovered Country' wink.gif It was the LAST of the 'original' ST crew (not counting 'Generations' - which is the FIRST of the TNG movies).

Just looked up Roddy McDowell on imdb.com and don't see him for any credit with any Star Trek movie or series...you guys sure you're not thinking of 'Christopher Plummer?'

Ah! That makes more sense! grin.gif

As far as the statement that no one got rich in comics until the 80s,I present this as evidence.

circa 1970s,Jack Kirby lived in a modest house in Williston Park,Long Island. Frank Frazzetta lived in a slightly nicer house in Merrick,Long Island. John Romita lived in a bigger,but less costly house in Floral Park ,Long Island. All nice,lower middle-class neigborhoods.

Stan Lee lived in a compound in Hewlitt Harbor,the richest hamlet per capita on the East Coast. Nuff Said.

KK,

Ive heard/ or seen of the 11, 28, 29, 30, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45 46, 47,48, 50, 53, 55, 59, & 61 (Thats all the Large Art -- the stuff that commands the highest premium) existing !!!!

Do you know what prices are going for a Amazing Spiderman cover? I saw the Amazing Spiderman 166 cover sell in the recent Heritage auction for $15,000. I imagine that a nice early ditko or romita would go for alot? huh?

There aren't many Ditko Spidey covers that I know of that have traded hands, but about a year and a half ago a noted comic art collector paid about 80K each for two of the nicer ones. Also, the #30 cover (very small image of spidey) was listed on ebay for around 30K and didn't sell.

Romita Spidey covers have sold for between 30 and 60K. The later issues, like the one you mentioned, hover around the 15-20K mark these days.

Best,

KK,

Ive heard/ or seen of the 11, 28, 29, 30, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45 46, 47,48, 50, 53, 55, 59, & 61 (Thats all the Large Art -- the stuff that commands the highest premium) existing !!!!

Do you know what prices are going for a Amazing Spiderman cover? I saw the Amazing Spiderman 166 cover sell in the recent Heritage auction for $15,000. I imagine that a nice early ditko or romita would go for alot? huh?

There aren't many Ditko Spidey covers that I know of that have traded hands, but about a year and a half ago a noted comic art collector paid about 80K each for two of the nicer ones. Also, the #30 cover (very small image of spidey) was listed on ebay for around 30K and didn't sell.

Romita Spidey covers have sold for between 30 and 60K. The later issues, like the one you mentioned, hover around the 15-20K mark these days.

Best,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which covers have traded hands of late. I find this thread fascinating.

As far as the statement that no one got rich in comics until the 80s,I present this as evidence.

circa 1970s,Jack Kirby lived in a modest house in Williston Park,Long Island. Frank Frazzetta lived in a slightly nicer house in Merrick,Long Island. John Romita lived in a bigger,but less costly house in Floral Park ,Long Island. All nice,lower middle-class neigborhoods.

Stan Lee lived in a compound in Hewlitt Harbor,the richest hamlet per capita on the East Coast. Nuff Said.

It wasnt a "compound". It was a nice little house in a great neighborhood with a tiny swimming pool. Almost all the other houses were bigger and better furnished. Many were real mansions. (Ever hear of the real estate maxim to " buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood? ) Stan used to write the stories out by the pool in a scary European style mini bathing suit. And you didnt have to be "rich" to live there when he bought in. sheesh.

I dont know how much Jack took home, but with all the pages he turned out, I am confident he did very well. Perhaps Jack, being a simpler man of the people type didnt need a hot European wife and the lifestyle that goes with??

Curious,...were you not interested in oa,...why did you not make an offer to buy some?,...did he simply show you stuff,...or did he merely tell you what he had? ,...

I am only 24 so I never had much of a chance but if I had been around,..I would have gone to a bank and begged for money to buy this stuff ! Comics are fools gold,..oa is the real thing !!!!

I was there looking for pre-hero Marvel comics, and noticed bins with lots of oversized pages of original art. They were all the pre-hero stories, compete stories. I thought they were cool, but passed sine I dont collect art and even then felt I would want a killer piece, not a cool but obscure Ditko horror story fo rth emoney. They werent expensive by todays standards, but he wasnt giving them away either. Th ecomocs I was buying in G and VG were a buck or two apiece. The pages were "way more".

KK,

Best,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which covers have traded hands of late. I find this thread fascinating.

Most recently, I know of #11, #28, #40, #41, #45, #47, #69, #76, and #101. #122 sold for 60K but that was many years ago and it would clearly be MUCH more today.... 100K?. And, I got mine (#75) about 2-3 years ago.

No. makepoint.gif

Ah! That makes more sense! grin.gif

Where's Scottish? confused-smiley-013.gif

mj. there was never an offical list of stolen art. just what some artist stated they never recived. as for you page with two dates. imho. you may have a page that was done in 72 but was not published till 84. they are called inventory pages.

larry ;]