• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con report, from the other side of the table...

78 posts in this topic

What was the most looked at, inquired about books

IH 181 (19 available copies,sold 6)

ASM 129 ( 9 available copies, but I priced myself a little ahead of the market, so only sold 1)

Batman Adventures 12 (had 8 available copies, sold 2)

WWBN 32 (had 9 available copies, sold 3)

Forever People 1 (had 3 available copies sold all 3)

Harley Quinn NN (had 3 available copies sold all 3)

AF 15 (had 5 available copies, sold 3)

Hulk 1 (had 7 available copies, sold 0)

That's interesting. Is this title heating up?

I could have sold 5+ more copies if I had

Was anyone asking about Jimmy Olsen #134 or has the tide shifted?

ASM 129 ( 9 available copies, but I priced myself a little ahead of the market, so only sold 1)

I had two copies and sold both with one going to a 15 year old kid. People sure seemed to be hunting for that one since both of my copies sold after they asked if I had it.

my son bought a couple at the show...wonder if he bought one from you?...he got one from Marc Nathan...

and he submitted both for grading lol (he wouldn't sell them to me)

Clean cut kid - brown hair - very polite - couldn't be your kid Gator. :grin:

true...my son is 12, blonde and a mess lol

Awesome as always Rick!

I love the way you got your little Man hustling for the Raw side of your booth.

I saw him all over the place snagging books and I though that was cool as ice!

I see the future, he will become one the biggest dealers on the east coast!

:cloud9:

whats funny (or not so funny) is several times he bought books for way more than I had equal or better copies in our booth...but he didn't want to "buy from dad " :screwy:

have multiple copies and I didn't get a single inquiry for it

Any other books you were surprised got no inquires. I had nobody ask about X-Factor 6, Nova 1, Ms Marvel 1 which I expected to do ok since I priced them pretty low. I got one request for MTU 95 but that was pretty much the only new "hot" movie book that got any action.

It was obligatory that I harass GAtor at least one time a day. I succeeded and was able to bother him right at set up, right in the middle of Saturday afternoon and right when he was about to tear down. lol
and I needed to come buy a bunch of stuff from you and didn't have time, so get me a list :sumo:

Any other books you were surprised got no inquires. I had nobody ask about X-Factor 6, Nova 1, Ms Marvel 1 which I expected to do ok since I priced them pretty low. I got one request for MTU 95 but that was pretty much the only new "hot" movie book that got any action.

I did sell 1 nova 1, a ms marvel 1 and 18...but correct, not one xfactor 5,6 or 24 sale or inquiry

It was obligatory that I harass GAtor at least one time a day. I succeeded and was able to bother him right at set up, right in the middle of Saturday afternoon and right when he was about to tear down. lol
and I needed to come buy a bunch of stuff from you and didn't have time, so get me a list :sumo:

I know man :cry: I felt like I needed to shop more and we missed each other. I'll touch base for SDCC.

I did sell 1 nova 1, a ms marvel 1 and 18...but correct, not one xfactor 5,6 or 24 sale or inquiry

------------------

i just wonder if those x-factors are the kinds of books someone would go to your table for given all the primo high end stuff you have up on display. If I wanted a deal on one of those books outside of a 9.8 slab I would probably go to a less professional/less high end looking table because folks figure you are not in the mood to haggle over whether one of those books should be $20 or $15 because you have real sales to make to real customers with real money.

tis true, on the raw stuff, I don't haggle...I already have priced at or below fmv, and hence it is priced to sell...that said, as mentioned, my son bought numerous books from other vendors that I had priced cheaper (some considerably cheaper) than competitors...maybe the higher end stuff scares folks off?

tis true, on the raw stuff, I don't haggle...I already have priced at or below fmv, and hence it is priced to sell...that said, as mentioned, my son bought numerous books from other vendors that I had priced cheaper (some considerably cheaper) than competitors...maybe the higher end stuff scares folks off?

it does for me if i am looking to haggle, even when my haggling plan might involve a stack of $10-$50 books as well. i just tend to stay away from the dealers who have a ton of high end stuff, although i might go with someone like zapp who has some good stuff up, but not 5 copies of hulk 1 or anything like that. customers like me you probably don't need, although i might be good for liberating 50-150 of those heavy dollar books from you as well.

it definitely can. I typically buy in the $15-$100 range. When I walk up and see a wall full of $1000+ books, I think "this guy must know his stuff, little chance of walking a way with a good deal unless I bundle with some higher end stuff" or that someone else much smarter than me has already gotten to that booth and grabbed the good deals. Then I'm out. Of course that's pure assumption, and everyone's kinda different. BUT if I was looking for something specific, I'd probably ask. But if all I saw on the wall was high end older comics and a few of the modern mega keys, I probably wouldn't assume you had minor midgrade copper keys.

For example, you see a dealer at a show, and they've got TONS of people going through their 'cheaper' boxes. Do you think

A) They must have some great selection and deals in there, I gotta get me some of that.

or B) I freaking hate going through longboxes with crowds

C) all the good stuff is already gone.

D) I prefer wall books, so eff your longboxes.

I think those are all fairly common reactions, and it may change for a given person depending on circumstances.

I got derailed somewhere on the way to the point I was trying to make, but suffice it to say not everyone feels that every booth will fit their needs equally, whether those feelings are warranted or not.

what's interesting is that I gave my raw 50-500 books as much space if not more than the high end slabs...

in fact, my "wall" is an L shape...16 feet (4x 4ft) and the "L" is 4 feet at 90degrees... that's where I 'hid" all my GA....

this pic is from mega con, so slightly diff set up, but you can get the "gist"...

IMG_1157_zpsblpsjetu.jpg