• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Decision

89 posts in this topic

I think your numbers are off. My guess is 9 times out of 10 people have no ulterior motive.

Really? I actually hope that you are correct, but I tend to be a pessimist. lol

wwe-nwo-hulk-hogan-o.gif GIFSoup

Hollywood John Hogan. The CG heel we deserve.

Scott_Hall.gif

Man I miss 90s wrestling. It will never be like that again:

NWO

MONDAY NIGHT WARS

REFORMATION OF THE HART FOUNDATION

AND BEST OF ALL- ECW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite

Scott Hall (Razor Ramon)

Not the biggest, or baddest. He was all attitude, accent, and a wet toothpick if you got too close..

"The razor's edge" for the finish.

nWo

Anyone ever decided to pull the chute and punch out? I am unsure whether I want to or not. I hate Epay and the board is not all that much better to sell.Have not had much luck on Craigslist and that is what is making keep everything more than anything,

I hate selling collectibles but am hemorrhaging money on a business venture and my time working with the military is coming to an end soon, which has helped offset some of the cost but could use more. Sorry for the rant just venting. Would love to hear how and if you have ever decided to sell off. I will keep a few special books/art if I decide to sell.

What an interesting and innovative new kind of thread you started.

I think you are the first to ever feel this way.

So what advise do you need from all of us to help you make money?

How can we give you information that helps you only?

Didn't realize the forum was set to person_too_unaware_of_social_graces tonight. Don't need anything form you.

Sorry if my ramblings offend you, but really I just don't care.

You remind of people who call fellow collectors just for selfish advice on how to help them only make money.

This thread is so predictable and so basically simple.

What a joke and disgrace.

Sell your collection and hit the bricks......

With the due difference you have no clue to who you are talking with.

Over 17000 posts do not give you the permission of insulting people, sorry.

Yes it does give me the right to call out BS woe is me threads, but have a please help me make money undertone.

Sad you can't see through that.

What's sad is you can't be nice and cordial to a fellow board member. Ever hear of not saying anything unless you have something nice to say? Apparently that wasn't in your childhood training.

You might want to quit now...you are not coming off well in this conversation.

Anyone ever decided to pull the chute and punch out? I am unsure whether I want to or not. I hate Epay and the board is not all that much better to sell.Have not had much luck on Craigslist and that is what is making keep everything more than anything,

I hate selling collectibles but am hemorrhaging money on a business venture and my time working with the military is coming to an end soon, which has helped offset some of the cost but could use more. Sorry for the rant just venting. Would love to hear how and if you have ever decided to sell off. I will keep a few special books/art if I decide to sell.

What an interesting and innovative new kind of thread you started.

I think you are the first to ever feel this way.

So what advise do you need from all of us to help you make money?

How can we give you information that helps you only?

Didn't realize the forum was set to person_too_unaware_of_social_graces tonight. Don't need anything form you.

Sorry if my ramblings offend you, but really I just don't care.

You remind of people who call fellow collectors just for selfish advice on how to help them only make money.

This thread is so predictable and so basically simple.

What a joke and disgrace.

Sell your collection and hit the bricks......

With the due difference you have no clue to who you are talking with.

Over 17000 posts do not give you the permission of insulting people, sorry.

Yes it does give me the right to call out BS woe is me threads, but have a please help me make money undertone.

Sad you can't see through that.

What's sad is you can't be nice and cordial to a fellow board member. Ever hear of not saying anything unless you have something nice to say? Apparently that wasn't in your childhood training.

You might want to quit now...you are not coming off well in this conversation.

I gave him real advise on my last post.

I have seen some of your posts over the years it is not like you are some choir boy all the time either.

I am sure the OP is a nice guy and all of that. With that being said he comes on here stating he might want to sell his comic collection, but he doesn't want to take the usual selling outlet options as his way of doing so. I think that is utterly ridiculous, and take that as just another person who starts a thread fishing for information whether on purpose or not.

Nothing about selling comics is a hard decision in life. To me that is just another first world problem head scratcher of a statement to make.

The main problem with selling a collection as a whole, unless it is mostly high valued stuff, is liquidity. It is difficult to move a whole collection for what it's "worth", because most of what you have will already be for sale by someone else. Moving it in small pieces, and trying to ensure value is achieved, requires a lot of time, money, and shipping.

It's essentially the same dynamic that let's pawn shops makr a killing. Someone who needs to sell is forced to take less, so someone who can wait to sell, can make more.

If I were to sell "everything", I would choose what I wanted to keep and separate it out. Then I would individually sell all the high value books (worth $100 or more) on the boards. Base you asking price on the most recent ebay completed sales, not GPA. If the most recent completed sale is an auction style, you will almost certainly be able to match it or beat it. If the most recent completed sale is a BIN, chances are that person reached and overpaid, be prepared to settle for less, maybe even 20% less.

Once you have maximized your value on the books that are easy to sell and desirable to buyers. Try to do the same with the rest of your collection in runs. Runs will sell, especially if priced properly. Any sort of batman, spiderman, x-men, type stuff will sell easy. Use completed sales if you can, and looks at runs as a cost per book, compared to similar lots sold.

You have now essentially sold everything for a decent price. Whatever is left, assume you are going to get it for 25% of its "guide" value at best, sell it on craigslist, or to your local store by weight essentially.

That is how I would liquidate a whole collection, to achieve the best value, minimum time and shipping effort. Sell $100 books solo on here, sell everything else in runs on ebay/here, dump the rest at weight to a store/dealer. No individual sales of books worth sub-$100.

Lastly on life, and selling collectibles. Having no debt, and being financially sound are the best thing you can do. Collectibles can always be rebought at a later point in life from a position of strength. They will cost more, but so will everything else (inflation), and who knows....maybe you will be able to buy back in during the bubble collapse for a song! ;):D The main thing is you will have more buying power and available money to spend on them, since you will be debt free and financially stable.

I have read everything since my advice, and I still think its the best answer, so I am bumping it back up to the front...

The main problem with selling a collection as a whole, unless it is mostly high valued stuff, is liquidity. It is difficult to move a whole collection for what it's "worth", because most of what you have will already be for sale by someone else. Moving it in small pieces, and trying to ensure value is achieved, requires a lot of time, money, and shipping.

It's essentially the same dynamic that let's pawn shops makr a killing. Someone who needs to sell is forced to take less, so someone who can wait to sell, can make more.

If I were to sell "everything", I would choose what I wanted to keep and separate it out. Then I would individually sell all the high value books (worth $100 or more) on the boards. Base you asking price on the most recent ebay completed sales, not GPA. If the most recent completed sale is an auction style, you will almost certainly be able to match it or beat it. If the most recent completed sale is a BIN, chances are that person reached and overpaid, be prepared to settle for less, maybe even 20% less.

Once you have maximized your value on the books that are easy to sell and desirable to buyers. Try to do the same with the rest of your collection in runs. Runs will sell, especially if priced properly. Any sort of batman, spiderman, x-men, type stuff will sell easy. Use completed sales if you can, and looks at runs as a cost per book, compared to similar lots sold.

You have now essentially sold everything for a decent price. Whatever is left, assume you are going to get it for 25% of its "guide" value at best, sell it on craigslist, or to your local store by weight essentially.

That is how I would liquidate a whole collection, to achieve the best value, minimum time and shipping effort. Sell $100 books solo on here, sell everything else in runs on ebay/here, dump the rest at weight to a store/dealer. No individual sales of books worth sub-$100.

Lastly on life, and selling collectibles. Having no debt, and being financially sound are the best thing you can do. Collectibles can always be rebought at a later point in life from a position of strength. They will cost more, but so will everything else (inflation), and who knows....maybe you will be able to buy back in during the bubble collapse for a song! ;):D The main thing is you will have more buying power and available money to spend on them, since you will be debt free and financially stable.

I have read everything since my advice, and I still think its the best answer, so I am bumping it back up to the front...

lol

That's a nice little birthday present to yourself then. :applause:

I am sorry if this ruffled some peoples feathers. It was not intended as a sales ploy and to that end, :sorry: to those who PM'd me that I did not answer. Right now I am deciding whether to sell off stuff to move the business along further/quicker. I am not in a financial bind just not independently wealthy, so moving money from a hobby to the business may make sense. Thanks to those who gave advise, it is always appreciated.

I am attached to the comics :screwy: but also know that for me the hunt for the comics is also as much fun as having them. There are only a coupe of issues that I could never replace so I may keep those and sell the rest. Need to think about it and talk it over with my wife( she does not want me to get rid of them).

Thanks again and no hard feelings to those who's feathers where ruffled (thumbs u

Lyle