• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TREASURE CHEST

116 posts in this topic

This thread is dedicated to all those TREASURE CHEST comics. Not a very well known series. Mostly because it was in school that you were able to get it. And most of the schools were catholic schools that gave it out. If you find a decent copy, consider yourself lucky. Most of the issues had writing on them. They would write the name of the kid that would get the comic. Ones that were mailed always had the address label glued right to the cover. Its not unusual to see a label smack dab right in the middle of the cover. 893whatthe.gif I also have seen covers with a part of the printing missing. This is usually were the label was removed. Let me tell you first hand the labels won't come off without removing some of the cover printing. I started collecting TC's because I wanted something challenging. Its taken me a long time to find the high grade ones that I have. Almost impossible to find. The one thing I like about TC's are the covers. They sure are different then anything you have see before.

I'll have some scans to show soon.

Anyone else out there collecting TC's? I don't know anyone else that collects them.

Joe Sinnott wraparound cover.

Plus a Amelia Earhart story with Reed Crandell art in that issue. Crandell was one of my favorite artists. TC's had a lot of good artists that I liked. Besides Sinnott and Crandell ya had Giordano. Graham Ingels who later became known for his in EC. Bob Powell who drew SPIRIT in Mr. Mystic comics. Bernard Baily Spectre & Hourman fame. Lloyd Ostecdorf who was a famous painter of historical figures. Usually Civil War era subjects. Also famous for some painting of Abraham Lincoln. And there were many others I can't remember.

The wraparound covers were a regular thing with TC's. They had them quite often I found out. One of the volumes has almost every issue as a wraparound. They had some pretty good waparound covers. I'll try and post some of those.

Great idea for a thread. My older sister went to Catholic school and brought home TC's, which my brothers and I of course read and enjoyed. They had an air about them all their own that has earned them a place in the pantheon of comic history.

You are right when you say these are tough in high grade. I would say this and Dennis the Menace are the two toughest Silver to Bronze Age titles to collect in high grade - based on my experience. Whenever I see them, they are trashed.

After spending decades completing my DTM collection, I need a rest and could never even think about undertaking such an impossible endeavor as trying to collect these in hg. Instead, I will sit back and watch others post these awesome comics and live vicariously through TC collectors as they relate their painful stories of woe as they make fruitless attempts to acquire these evasive "treasures."

thumbsup2.gif

Joe

I guess these would fall under my best purchase deal. I picked up my TCs from an antique seller at

$10 each. He thought they were mint but most fall in the VF range. With that said, some

of the books appear to be flawless. It is a shame that the dealer only had fifteen of them.

TreasureChest19_8.jpg

Hey Dude! (I always wanted to say that.) Great TC covers.

The GRAHAM HUNTER cover is great. Just full of chaos. That was what he was known for drawing. Complete scenes of funny chaos going on. As far as I know, he only did a few covers for TC. Those covers are probably his only contribution to comics. I don't think he ever did any comic stories.

For a long time in OVERSTREET PRICE GUIDE's they had the SUMMER TC's as existing in parentheses (exist?). For a long time I also thought they didn't exist. Then one day I found someone that actually had all of the SUMMER TREASURE CHEST. I was in awe. It was like finding the holy grail. After I got them I let OS know that they, in fact, do exist. I now see that in the last OS GUIDE they took out the (exist?) from the SUMMER TC's.

I'll have some scans up soon of some of those SUMMER TC issues and some other HARD-TO-FIND TC's.

Later, I'll tell you all what my HOLY GRAIL of TC really is.

For a long time in OVERSTREET PRICE GUIDE's they had the SUMMER TC's as existing in parentheses (exist?). For a long time I also thought they didn't exist. Then one day I found someone that actually had all of the SUMMER TREASURE CHEST. I was in awe. It was like finding the holy grail. After I got them I let OS know that they, in fact, do exist. I now see that in the last OS GUIDE they took out the (exist?) from the SUMMER TC's.

I'll have some scans up soon of some of those SUMMER TC issues and some other HARD-TO-FIND TC's.

Later, I'll tell you all what my HOLY GRAIL of TC really is.

I would say ALL TC's are hard to find, and in high grade next to non-existent. You very rarely ever see them, and when you do, they are trashed. At any given time on ebay there are maybe 20-40 auctions with them, and all I ever see are good copies. And considering these ran - I think bi-weekly? - from the 1940s to the 1970s, that is a good indicator of how few of them have survived.

On another note, that Halloween cover is AMAZING! I have never seen it or anything like it and think it would make a great poster. I really appreciate you guys sharing these covers.

Joe