• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TREASURE CHEST

116 posts in this topic

The GRAHAM HUNTER cover is great. Just full of chaos. That was what he was known for drawing.

Complete scenes of funny chaos going on. As far as I know, he only did a few covers for TC.

Those covers are probably his only contribution to comics. I don't think he ever did any comic stories.

Here is another chaotic Graham Hunter cover.

TreasureChest17_12.jpg

hard to find?

really?

i've passed on a lot of these from the late 50s/60s in dollar bins in mid-grade at least.

i'll buy them when they have an interesting cover, otherwise usually not.

i guess i shouldn't pass on them anymore! (i wouldn't have passed on most of the cook covers i've seen here anyway)

then again, i'm in NYC and we had a lot of catholic schools here (although now they're closing down right and left), so maybe there are just a lot locally

oh i dunno, cgc would probably give that better than a VG+. it's from 1956.

like i said, i think i've ignored a lot of the dull covers, i would have grabbed the stuff i've seen in this thread. but i've definitely seen treasure chests in dollar bins and i've bought some. not high grade, true, but Fines, in that range, as well as beat readers.

definitely seen treasure chests in dollar bins

Your right about that.. I've seen them too. Most of the time they don't look like they'd be worth a dollar.

One of the reasons they are so hard to find in high grades are because every issue had some kind of puzzle or something to cut-out. I'll show a scan of what I mean. Its not that they are scarce. Not really, there are plenty of um out there. Its just trying to find the ones in nice shape. Most of them out there that I have seen usually have some writing. Sometimes cut-outs.

One of the hardest to find in NM is Volume 24 #4. That issue has a CROSSWORD puzzle right on the cover. It took me years to find one without writing on the cover. And it would probably only grade highest a 5.0. Thats my HOLY GRAIL if I ever find one in NM. All the rest I can see finding eventually. But this issue with the crossword puzzle on the cover, if I ever find it in NM, I think I'll have a coronary right there on the spot.

BTW; HARVEY DUDE. You have a lot of nice TC's. 893applaud-thumb.gif Are you a collector of um? Let me know if you plan on selling any. And what was the grade of that graded one. Nice looking book. How's the inside?

All of the postings I made were comics with anti-communist stories but this thread has inspired me

to look for other high grade examples. Since there is no sense of urgency, I can leisurely pursue

obtaining other HG copies that may surface at a good price. As for the insides of my books,

I really don’t know. There are absolutely no spine stresses on the comics.

I never open my comics since I collect for the covers.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My scanner does not do this book justice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that one really is beautiful in every way. Is that Caravaggio?

Seen the Caravaggio in ROME. There's another TC with REMBRANDT's "Decent From The Cross". Simular to this cover. (TC Vol. 18 #16)

The painting covers are sure different then the normal drawn ones. Kind of like the photo covers but for some reason I like them (the painting ones) better.

Really impressed with your collection of TC's DUDE. May I ask how you came about them?

As for mine; I had a bunch that I got from school. Those plus my older brothers. Then one day I decided to start looking for nice copies of them. Been collecting TC's for a while now. And looked into just about everything about them. There's nothing much out there written about TC's. Only a few small articles that don't tell a whole lot. I found out a lot more when I got in touch with some of the people that worked for Pflaum Publishing. Good to see there's still nice copies out there. Nice books HARVEY DUDE.

Regarding the sigs on a lot of copies....the nuns probably told the kids to write their names on them once they were passed out. Just a thougt for the day.

One of my jobs in school, during 5th or 6th grade, was writing the names on the covers of the comics. This must of been common practice everywhere. No matter where you find TC's, you'll always find names written on them.

Well; every other week I had a list of names for each class that was getting TC's. I can't believe I wrote on comic covers. What was I thinking? foreheadslap.gif Anyway; as the weeks went by I would remember who got the books so I didn't have to write the names on the covers.

I wonder if that is why you see more of the early issues then the end of the runs with written names. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

May I ask how you came about them?

I too went to Catholic school and remember stacks of these books in the library. I never kept any

from those days. I acquired mine from a seller when I inquired if they had any of the TCs with

anti-communist themes. Since I corresponded through email, I don't know what other TC books he had.