• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you prefer to shop for comics online?

53 posts in this topic

if you don't care about grade, tough to be beat Milehigh selection. mycomicshop has great selection too.

Most of the stuff I'm looking for would be 70's. For example, Power Man and Iron Fist. I've only got two or three issues at the moment, so I'd like to find several at once, instead of one here and there.

All of the books I am looking for are Pre-Hero Marvel/Atlas Horror/Westerns so eBay is where I look.

I used to use Lonestar but in the past couple of years Lonestar thinks these books were printed on stone tablets by God and wants "Stupidly" high prices and very seldom do the lower grade copies they have go on the auction block, whats the problem, you may get the "Real" price for the book?

I agree, MCS has gotten too expensive for common issues.

For runs, I used to either go to ebay, Atomic Avenue (was mainly collectors getting selling off their collections) and Comic Collector Live (this can be hit or miss grade wise but if I buying just to read than I am not too picky).

For runs, I used to either go to ebay, Atomic Avenue (was mainly collectors getting selling off their collections) and Comic Collector Live (this can be hit or miss grade wise but if I buying just to read than I am not too picky).

When did MCS become too expensive? That is news to me... I usually go there when looking for modern runs and stuff.

From there, I might wonder around Midtown's back issues, but they have to have a sale going on.

Otherwise, I watch here for issues and stuff.

My favorite place is here on the boards, though most commonly I buy on ebay just due to the shear volume that shows up there. When I find something I want at MCS, the grading and price (non-consigned books) generally make it an easy purchase, I just wish I didn't get beat out half the time.

Most of the stuff I'm looking for would be 70's. For example, Power Man and Iron Fist. I've only got two or three issues at the moment, so I'd like to find several at once, instead of one here and there.

Worldwide comics sounds like what you want. They are not cheap.

If you were looking for relatively inexpensive 80s and beyond, MCS or AtomicAvenue. AtomicAvenue is hit and miss depending on who your order from. Best to try out a dealer's grading with several issues per order first.

Worldwide comics sounds like what you want. They are not cheap.

If you were looking for relatively inexpensive 80s and beyond, MCS or AtomicAvenue. AtomicAvenue is hit and miss depending on who your order from. Best to try out a dealer's grading with several issues per order first.

We have 14 out of 15 issues of Iron Fist in stock currently, and 114 out of 125 issues of Luke Cage/Power Man, many in a variety of grades from low grade raws to high grade slabs:

Iron Fist

Luke Cage/Hero for Hire/Power Man

If your goal is to complete runs without a lot of extra shipping ordering from multiple places, we'll usually have a lot of what you're looking for.

For a full run in identical grades it's difficult online. From what I've seen I might always have to piece a NM from another online company. MyComicShop and Mile High Comics are good when you can get the sales though. There are mail order places in the Price Guide that have a bunch of places too.

All of the books I am looking for are Pre-Hero Marvel/Atlas Horror/Westerns so eBay is where I look.

I used to use Lonestar but in the past couple of years Lonestar thinks these books were printed on stone tablets by God and wants "Stupidly" high prices and very seldom do the lower grade copies they have go on the auction block, whats the problem, you may get the "Real" price for the book?

If either of you don't mind providing me some examples of lower grade, common issues where you feel our price is high, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to take a look and see if there's anything we want to adjust.

Generally, for low volume, higher-priced books our prices are influenced by guides like Overstreet and GPA. But for common books our prices are influenced by supply and demand. If we're selling out of the stock we have and aren't getting more copies sold to us, we raise the price (what we sell at and what we buy at). And vice versa, if the copies we have aren't selling, or are being offered to us for sale faster than we can sell them, we lower the price.

I do know that a lot of issues from the late 70s and 80s that used to be considered drek/bulk/dollar bin material has changed status in the past 2-3 years and are now selling more strongly. Don't know if that's any part of what you're observing, but it's entirely a supply and demand issue, not us suddenly deciding the books are more valuable.

If either of you don't mind providing me some examples of lower grade, common issues where you feel our price is high, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to take a look and see if there's anything we want to adjust.

Generally, for low volume, higher-priced books our prices are influenced by guides like Overstreet and GPA. But for common books our prices are influenced by supply and demand. If we're selling out of the stock we have and aren't getting more copies sold to us, we raise the price (what we sell at and what we buy at). And vice versa, if the copies we have aren't selling, or are being offered to us for sale faster than we can sell them, we lower the price.

I do know that a lot of issues from the late 70s and 80s that used to be considered drek/bulk/dollar bin material has changed status in the past 2-3 years and are now selling more strongly. Don't know if that's any part of what you're observing, but it's entirely a supply and demand issue, not us suddenly deciding the books are more valuable.

As soon as I get some time this weekend I will do that.

I am a firm believer in supporting my local comic shop especially since they have known me since I was a teenager. Sometimes though he forgets to put things in my bag since I can only go back there once every three weeks.

When that happens, I shrug it off and I place an order when there is enough that I missed or things I want with MCS. I have found that MCS does offer the widest selection of common books and a quick and easy service.

Case in point. I went to Eternal Con on LI... (for what may be the very last time ever for what that is worth) I wanted to shop for a 1st Elektra. The prices were almost laughable for what people were asking... borderline offensive. I decided to go shopping. I found a 9.4 Newstand for the same price that someone was willing to let a 9.0 go for at Eternal Con. While I was there I picked up a book that my LCS forgot to sell me and ran out of at cover price. The books arrived well packed, in the condition described and together. Some places don't seem to be able to handle selling raw and slabbed books together... MCS somehow figured that if we can get facetime to work and man on the moon that packing a raw and slabbed book together can also be accomplished.

For slabbed books, I have now turned into a eBay, CLink, Metropolis/CConnect and now Heritage type of guy.

I'm assuming the folks stating that the MCS/Lonestar prices are high are referring to consignment books. The owner sets the prices from what I understand, hence some books have prices that are crazy 20x GPA. I don't know what those folks are thinking.

Having said that, books in MCS own inventory are generally priced pretty reasonably. In terms of their grading, do mistakes happen, sure, but overall, I've been EXTREMELY pleased with raw books received from them. I've subbed several that have come back 1-2 grades higher than their listed grade. Again, not that their "bucket" grading is perfect, but overall I've been very happy.