• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 copies of Omega Men #3 - Can I find a 9.8 in the bunch?

6 posts in this topic

I've been asked to sell 15 copies of Omega Men #3. They were never read and bagged and backed early in their life. Not having dealt with any book over a 9.6, I'm not quite sure how perfect a late bronze age baxter would have to be to be considered 9.8.

I'm supplying dropbox links of high resolution scans of three of the books. If you aren't familiar with dropbox, click on the pic with the magnifying class and you can increase/decrease the size.

BOOK ONE

The first file is the cover of one of the books that I think would a be 9.8 front cover.

Book One Cover

Unfortunately, there is an over print line on the back cover.

Book One - Back Cover

What do you think the back cover would do to the overall grade. (9.4? 9.2, less?).

BOOK TWO

I included the cover of this book to get your opinion on the upper left corner. As you can see there is a drop of wear there. This book also has a transverse spine crease, but some of my other books are perfect both front and back, except for a bit of wear on the top and/or bottom spine corner. Could an otherwise perfect book be a 9.8 with that type of wear. (Not necessarily as bad as this one, but some visible wear.)

Book Two Front Cover

BOOK THREE

IMHO is perfect front and back. If you magnify the top left corner you can see a tiny drop of wear. Is that enough to keep a book back from a 9.8.

Book 3 Front Cover

Book 3 Back cover

I'd appreciate your feedback, and if you think I'm totally off thinking any of these could rate a 9.8, feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Book 3 is likely a 9.8.

Book 2, could an otherwise perfect book get a 9.8 with a bindery tear? Yes. That particular book looks like it is actually missing some material there as opposed to just a tear so I don't think that one would get it but in general a small bindery tear is usually treated as a production defect and allowed in 9.8.

Book 1, might actually get a 9.8 even with that roller mark on the back. It will probably be treated as a production defect. Haven't submitted too many of this particular issue so I don't know how CGC would treat that defect specifically for this book but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a 9.8 if that is the only thing wrong with it.

Book 3 is likely a 9.8.

Book 2, could an otherwise perfect book get a 9.8 with a bindery tear? Yes. That particular book looks like it is actually missing some material there as opposed to just a tear so I don't think that one would get it but in general a small bindery tear is usually treated as a production defect and allowed in 9.8.

Book 1, might actually get a 9.8 even with that roller mark on the back. It will probably be treated as a production defect. Haven't submitted too many of this particular issue so I don't know how CGC would treat that defect specifically for this book but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a 9.8 if that is the only thing wrong with it.

+1

Book 3 is likely a 9.8.

+1

9.8's are always a roll of the dice. The graders have ways of seeing things you missed & of being seemingly arbitrary sometimes.

I agree that #1 and #3 should both be 9.8's, though. That roller mark will not cause a penalty—but it might cause a buyer to walk away & wait for a better 9.8.

You might want to check GPA sales data on this issue before submitting the books. I just looked at eBay to see what they're going for (I don't subscribe to GPA), and what I see is that most of the slabbed copies are going unsold. One 9.8 sold for $102. Very nice raw copies are going for $15-$20.

There are 654 9.8's already in the census!!!! Considering how many people were hoarding this title back in the 80s—I was one of them—there are probably 10X that many raw 9.8s out there. I definitely wouldn't submit one of these unless you were positive that it would get a 9.8.