• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody know if this Amazing Fantasy 15 cgc is worth picking up?

39 posts in this topic

Your mom had a collection of Spider-man comics in the 90s that she sold for 25 cents each at a garage sale? And you remember having the AF15 taken off you?

That might just have been believable in the 70s, but even in the depths of the 90s that was a pricey issue.

You'd be better off deleting that post as it's pure BS.

The sad thing is it isn't BS. I'm not saying she had the whole run of amazing spider-man but she had a bunch. I specifically remember amazing fantasy, amazing #1, amazing #2, amazing #3, amazing #7 and a few others. She also sold off her strange tales, hulk, iron man, Daffy Duck, etc. she didn't know they were worth anything and just got rid of bunch load of the stuff in our garage. I so far have bought amazing #1, amazing #2, and amazing #5 as those were some of my favorite spider-man covers.

So to recap... By that time she'd amassed a large collection of collectible comics, kept them for decades, then decided to sell them all off at 25 cents a pop in a garage sale at a time when superheros were all over the media.

And to boot then allowed a guy she'd never met before take one of the aforementioned comics she'd had for decades to be taken from the clutches of her infant son (to whom she'd already promised it) for the princely sum of 25 cents.

BS.

No she wasn't a collector but she grew up reading comics. She had various titles mostly from marvel but she had some super-man, superboy, and captain marvel comics. Before we moved from NY a few years ago, as we completely emptied the garage I did find 2 old fantastic four comics, and a few captain marvel comics. One of the captain marvel comics has 2 covers which I found to be neat as it had to be a manufacturing error.

Well I wouldn't say she had a huge collection but she had 150 plus comics in boxes that sat through her moms attic and then our garage for a while. I don't care if you don't believe it, but you obviously don't know my mom. She gave away all my brothers g1 transformer figures, all our he-man, GiJoe, power rangers, and beast wars figures. Most of which command a pretty penny by today's standards.

Well, if your question is whether it is worth the final price, I'd bet it is as others said. Just to give you an idea, a Stan Lee signature alone is running around $150 with grading, shipping, and the signing.

So now you've got to ask if the book is worth the difference from there. I'd imagine it might be. We have some foreign comics guys who might chime in as I don't know that much about it.

The shill thing stinks, but I'm not sure there is anything you can do now.

Thanks for the honest reply. Yea I figured it was probably still worth what I paid for it but I do feel a little bitter about the purchase after seeing the shill bidding. The one reason I bought the comic was for the cover. I love the cover artwork that was done by jack Kirby. If I'm not mistaken, it was his version that was used and not Steve ditko. With that said, it also allowed me to have some type of amazing fantasy 15 signed by Stan lee to go with my golden records amazing spiderman#1 signed by Stan lee. Both aren't original prints but are old and still have their iconic cover artwork.

You should go back and edit your first post. Change the thread title to something about Italian/Foreign AF 15 and you might attract someone who knows better.

I think we lost our foreign expert to a company that shall not be named, but Valient is Italian and he might be able to help. There are some others too, I believe.

Your mom had a collection of Spider-man comics in the 90s that she sold for 25 cents each at a garage sale? And you remember having the AF15 taken off you?

That might just have been believable in the 70s, but even in the depths of the 90s that was a pricey issue.

You'd be better off deleting that post as it's pure BS.

The sad thing is it isn't BS. I'm not saying she had the whole run of amazing spider-man but she had a bunch. I specifically remember amazing fantasy, amazing #1, amazing #2, amazing #3, amazing #7 and a few others. She also sold off her strange tales, hulk, iron man, Daffy Duck, etc. she didn't know they were worth anything and just got rid of bunch load of the stuff in our garage. I so far have bought amazing #1, amazing #2, and amazing #5 as those were some of my favorite spider-man covers.

So to recap... By that time she'd amassed a large collection of collectible comics, kept them for decades, then decided to sell them all off at 25 cents a pop in a garage sale at a time when superheros were all over the media.

And to boot then allowed a guy she'd never met before take one of the aforementioned comics she'd had for decades to be taken from the clutches of her infant son (to whom she'd already promised it) for the princely sum of 25 cents.

BS.

One time as a child when I was in NYC, I accidentally saved Steve Ditko's life (long story).

He was so happy with me he gave me an unopened case of AF15s and his original unpublished, hand-written autobiography.

Mom sold it all for 25 cents when I was away at band camp.

That is issue #18 of the Italian Spider-man reprint series from the early 1970s. It has the cover for AF #15 but the contents are ASM #22. The first issue , which reprints AF #15 and ASM #1 did use the cover of either of those issues.

It's a cool book, with the different color scheme and the Stan Lee SS. Possibly there was shill bidding running the price up, but the old adage that something is worth what your willing to pay is even more true with unusual items like this. Given the high price of even a beater copy of the original, one could do worse than putting together a collection of reprint editions.

As to your story, you'll have to forgive the skepticism on the boards when a newbie shows up with a story that sounds unlikely and relies on memories from when one was six. It may be true, or true as you remember it, but ask any long time dealer or comic shop owner, there are probably more folks who claim to have had "the first appearance of Spider-Man" in their childhood collections than there were copies printed. It's not a reflection on you, it's a skepticism born from experience.

To be fair

And I know that's not our board mentality

Let the guy have his "story". He was 6. Could have been marvel tales ....

I do know a dealer that picked up an AF 15 at a value village type thrift store for .25c

I bought it for $1450 along with some other sweet deals.

And I sold it the next week for $2,700.

It was slabbed 2.5 and sold for more.

Now it's likely worth 2-3x what it was sold for after being slabbed.

It's the circle of life.

I decided not to sell my 3.0 as its just getting harder and crazily more expensive to replace each time I've upgraded I should have just kept my under copy :-).

My buddy who is a foreign collector says 300 is pretty high for that book-it's not rare in the Italian market. Maybe a $50 book. You definitely got stiffed. I would return it as not as described or something and report the shilling to ebay.