• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of ethics

55 posts in this topic

It's kind of a Richard move, but I don't think it's necessarily unethical to do it once (or maybe even twice). But it's a little bit of a flag that I personally would keep an eye on, and if I notice it is a pattern for them, to call them out and/or ban them from taking anything I was offering for a PIF or RAK.

But that's just me.

Definetly agree with it being a douchee move taking a PIF or RAK and selling on the board soon after getting it. Why not unethical it shows a lack of somethng. Other wise after a period of time itsok to sell elsewhere.

i have a rule to only take something if needed. If there is a set i want to complete or maybe have enough of the comics to complete it then i will take it. I don't sell anything i have taken, but like one of the boardies said if someone had a situation or a problem come up and needed the money, then i have no problem with that person selling the PIF or the RAK given. But! if their whole intent was to sell the book in the first place then i would say its selfish.

Unethical? Only if you lie about it. Poor taste? Most certainly.

In a perfect world, gifts remain gifts. If you don't like something you got, pass it along to someone else. Need isn't an excuse. The last time we talked about need in the context of board freebies, a lot of people agreed that you shouldn't take if you can't afford to give back. We all know life happens, so have a sales thread for your vet bill/car repair/wedding fund instead, and people will happily kick in some cash.

I wouldn't mind at all if someone put a not for resale clause on their freebie. It's their book to do with as they please. If you don't like the terms, find another copy.

I've had it one PIF taken from me that I saw sold later, but it was after a long time and was in a thread where someone was selling off tons of stuff due to a change of focus. I have no idea if anything else I've given has gone up for sale, but that's mostly because the stuff I've given away isn't the type of stuff I'm looking for.

I haven't sold anything I've got through PIF or holiday gift exchange, but I have regifted. The Christmas comics I'm giving away in Andy's contest I got from Andy at some point when I thought I would start a holiday themed cover collection. Decided I didn't want to pursue that so off to someone who would appreciate them more. The Superheroes book that I've offered in Andy's contest was either a gift from my secret Santa or a gift from my brother. I got two last Christmas from people who knew it was the perfect choice for me.

I guess that is to say I have no problem with people not keeping a gift, PIF, etc. that I give them.

Frame of mind is kind of everything here but its impossible to read someones mind. If they took the PIF RAK to sell then extremly bad taste and bad on you BUT if you took it and then after reading it etc decide to sell then thats ok but again dont do it on the baords so quick.

I guess that is to say I have no problem with people not keeping a gift, PIF, etc. that I give them.

Sure, but we're not talking about what you did, which was 100% ethical and quite nice of you to offer prize books that you were gifted, held onto for a bit, and then decided to pass along to someone else. (thumbs u

What the OP is referring to is the ever-increasing tactic of taking a lucrative PIF offering for the sole purpose of an immediate resale. For example, a very generous board member wants to help others build a collection and offers a lower-grade SA key, which is immediately jumped on by a Junk Donkey, and quickly listed for sale. To add insult to injury, said JD will then offer up a pile of smelly junk books as their return PIF, with a friend of shill account picking up the "great offer" to finalize it.

This is totally against the PIF mandate and is highly unethical, but Junk Donkeys still do it.

Sure, but we're not talking about what you did, which was 100% ethical and quite nice of you to offer prize books that you were gifted, held onto for a bit, and then decided to pass along to someone else. (thumbs u

What the OP is referring to is the ever-increasing tactic of taking a lucrative PIF offering for the sole purpose of an immediate resale. For example, a very generous board member wants to help others build a collection and offers a lower-grade SA key, which is immediately jumped on by a Junk Donkey, and quickly listed for sale. To add insult to injury, said JD will then offer up a pile of smelly junk books as their return PIF, with a friend of shill account picking up the "great offer" to finalize it.

This is totally against the PIF mandate and is highly unethical, but Junk Donkeys still do it.

I couldnt agree more!

There are certain things that deal with hobbies where there are unwritten rules. When it comes to helping people out, giving away, or trading away, there are several unwritten rules. There are also certain spirits of the hobby people try to uphold and some people just don't follow them.

Personally I would not do it. If I needed money then I would let the person know before posting on these boards or just go another route.