• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did CGC or CCS pop my staple?

10 posts in this topic

Have you guys ever sent in a book for pressing/grading that earned a "qualified: staple detached" grade that you were sure did not have a popped staple when submitted?

Its happened to me twice now.

A Detective #356 came back Qualified 9.6 last year and this week a Conan The Barbarian #8 qualified 9.8. Arrgghh!

A few years back I also had an Atom #29 with a "hanging chad" type chip when I sent it in. When it was graded the dangling piece of the chip was missing.

Is there any recourse for this type of thing?

Yes. Years ago. Detective 400. Was CGC 9.4 Universal. CCS (back then Classics Inc) pressed it, CGC graded it. Came back 9.6 Qualified top staple popped.

Obviously, it happened while in the possession of one of the two of them...

It can happen at pressing. It can happen at the restoration check, where the book has to be opened quite far to check for glue, tear seals, ect.

Bottom line is that there is some risk when pressing and/or grading a book. Very, very small risk with books in good condition. Heavily worn, tanning or otherwise weak paper increases the risks. CCS I believe currently only advises if they think a book is safe to press if you pay for a prescreen. Quick press is never evaluated for safety and the website says don't send in books with weak paper.

I've had multiple 'bad' experiences with pressing. Specifically, the staple area is very vulnerable.

Though I've never had a staple pop, I've experienced staple tears. It's really annoying that CGC seems to be tolerate of staple tears. Though the grade may not suffer, even improve, the press can introduce fugly staple tears. Collectors should really consider this when submitting a book for pressing. It's not always a win experience.

I've had multiple 'bad' experiences with pressing. Specifically, the staple area is very vulnerable.

Though I've never had a staple pop, I've experienced staple tears. It's really annoying that CGC seems to be tolerate of staple tears. Though the grade may not suffer, even improve, the press can introduce fugly staple tears. Collectors should really consider this when submitting a book for pressing. It's not always a win experience.

Older books with weak paper (mostly referring to the spine and around the staples) can be pressed, the presser just has to avoid compressing the spine.Just as one would do when pressing a squarebound comic.

The exception would be books that have tanning or brown pages as that would ,more than likely, leave you with brittle pages.

Older books with weak paper (mostly referring to the spine and around the staples) can be pressed, the presser just has to avoid compressing the spine.Just as one would do when pressing a squarebound comic.

The exception would be books that have tanning or brown pages as that would ,more than likely, leave you with brittle pages.

The only way you can "know" for sure where any damage occurs at is to have pressed books sent back to you then submit yourself. CGC's restoration check does put stress on the book and even the grading and encapsulation process can on relatively rare occasions damage a book.

Compressing the spine on a square bound book shouldn't be a problem unless you are squishing it to death. Any competent presser is supporting the spine on a saddle stitched book all the time, every time. Not just when the paper is weak. Staple placement, any roll to the spine, the need for humidification, if there already exists tears or pieces missing on the spine . All these things have a possible impact on the risk of pressing books.

I've never had a staple pop occur but I did send in a 9.8 easy OO Warlock 2 red cover for my personal collection that came back 9.2 with a nice readers thumb crease on the free edge. It happens. I just sucked it up as the risk involved.

I've never had a staple pop occur but I did send in a 9.8 easy OO Warlock 2 red cover for my personal collection that came back 9.2 with a nice readers thumb crease on the free edge. It happens. I just sucked it up as the risk involved.

I understand the risks involved in pressing, but if a comic is damaged while being graded is a different matter. You mean to tell me there is no liability for the graders? I find it hard to be so accepting of getting a comic damaged in grading and chalking it up to the risks involved.

I understand the risks involved in pressing, but if a comic is damaged while being graded is a different matter. You mean to tell me there is no liability for the graders? I find it hard to be so accepting of getting a comic damaged in grading and chalking it up to the risks involved.

Over the years, I've had exactly 2 books that were damaged during the grading process - both times CGC stepped up & made me whole.

Have you guys ever sent in a book for pressing/grading that earned a "qualified: staple detached" grade that you were sure did not have a popped staple when submitted?

Its happened to me twice now.

A Detective #356 came back Qualified 9.6 last year and this week a Conan The Barbarian #8 qualified 9.8. Arrgghh!

A few years back I also had an Atom #29 with a "hanging chad" type chip when I sent it in. When it was graded the dangling piece of the chip was missing.

Is there any recourse for this type of thing?

Hi,

Why don't you call customer service at 1-877-662-6642 or email me at bgregorio@cgccomics.com and I will look into this for you.