• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Larson Fantastic Comics #1 looks pretty tasty !

44 posts in this topic

Although this is an over-generalization, I view the Fox SH books in 4 tiers:

1. The flagship anthology titles: Wonder/Wonderworld and Mystery Men.

2. The second tier anthology titles: Fantastic, Weird and Science.

3. The individual titles for the 3 key super heroes: Blue Beetle, Green Mask and the Flame.

4. The esoteric titles: Eagle, Victory, Rex Dexter, etc. Some of these are rare and thus worth more than some in higher tiers.

I would say that Science 2-4 would be in the top tier, and I would flip tiers 3 and 4 as the rarity of the later issues increases their desirability over BB/GM/Flame.

But more realistically, you have tiers as follows:

1) Fine/Simon covers (the exceptions would be Fantastic 1, Weird 1, and Wonderworld 3 as their prices tend to be a hindrance to many and the covers aren't as well executed)

2) Late-run WWII covers

3) Everything else

i'm with this, but would mention that weird 1 is a tuska cover, not fine or simon, notwithstanding what some labels say.

Although this is an over-generalization, I view the Fox SH books in 4 tiers:

1. The flagship anthology titles: Wonder/Wonderworld and Mystery Men.

2. The second tier anthology titles: Fantastic, Weird and Science.

3. The individual titles for the 3 key super heroes: Blue Beetle, Green Mask and the Flame.

4. The esoteric titles: Eagle, Victory, Rex Dexter, etc. Some of these are rare and thus worth more than some in higher tiers.

I would say that Science 2-4 would be in the top tier, and I would flip tiers 3 and 4 as the rarity of the later issues increases their desirability over BB/GM/Flame.

But more realistically, you have tiers as follows:

1) Fine/Simon covers (the exceptions would be Fantastic 1, Weird 1, and Wonderworld 3 as their prices tend to be a hindrance to many and the covers aren't as well executed)

2) Late-run WWII covers

3) Everything else

i'm with this, but would mention that weird 1 is a tuska cover, not fine or simon, notwithstanding what some labels say.

Good point, and I would posit that WW3 is not Fine either. I suppose I'd include most Tuska covers in the first category, however, as MM6 and Science 3 are highly sought-after. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the other Tuskas.

Good point, and I would posit that WW3 is not Fine either. I suppose I'd include most Tuska covers in the first category, however, as MM6 and Science 3 are highly sought-after. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the other Tuskas.

I have always thought that WW 3 was designated as a Eisner/Fine cover? Actually, don't see too much of Fine in there myself.

I still remember when MM 6 was recognized as a Fine cover and had a significantly higher valuation in the OS guide as compared to its neighbouring issues on both sides. Once it was recognized as a Tuska cover, the neighbouring issues leapfrogged it immediately in terms of the OS valuation. An absolutely gorgeous cover and looks like some definite Fine influence in there from my point of view. :cloud9:

Are you sure that Science 3 is a Tuska cover since it still seems to be recognized as a Fine cover? Personally, I actually like the cover to Science 1 better myself. I guess I must be in the minority though, since it's issues #2 and #3 that are considered to be the classic covers by most collectors. (shrug)

I'm certain about the Science 3, and only speculative, but confident about WW3. Fantastic 4 is another that I question, but I think is more likely a combination of Fine, Eisner, and maybe Tusk vs. an unrecognized artist.