• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just bought my first golden age comic!

73 posts in this topic

That's a neat one to have. I get them mixed up, doesn't 42 also have a cool robot story ? Looks like a nice solid copy. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wonderful addition and Welcome to the GA sector!! By far the most enjoyment I have ever had since I started collecting funny books. Lots of greats publishers and characters of yesteryear to explore.

The Gerber photo guides are invaluable if you get a chance to pick up the volumes

Also Comicbookplus is a great place to read and peruse public domain books!! Check it out. I guarantee your want list will grow after you do!! Have fun and happy hunting!!

Thanks everyone!

This thread made me have an idea... I'm wondering if there was a thread created that was dedicated to pictures and/or stories about the 1st GA book you ever purchased? If not, a thread should be created.

Maybe it could be this one? If the OP agrees, obviously. :)

Sounds good to me!

You poor sap.

I made a similar mistake once. Bought a copy of Superman 12 and I SWORE I could quit any time I wanted.

And it turns out I COULD quit...when I ran out of money, lol

Some years later I ended up with a Supes collection complete from 2 through 150 (My Supes 1 is a reprint and quite likely to remain so, lol ) and I thought that would end the addiction...until I bought my first GA issue of Action Comics.

Sigh...

I'll be broke until I die...

Happy 4th of July! Congrats on your first GA book. I think I'll join in the fun and show my first GA comic. I bought it in 1966 at Cherokee Bookshop in Hollywood for the vast sum of $3. I also bought some early Mad Magazines and comics at the same time, but I don't remember which ones. But, I do remember this Superman (and still own it, although I think it was in a little better shape back then lol ). I also remember reading it and noticing how different it was from the 1960s comics I bought at the drugstore. Good times...

1znx2xx.jpg

This book was my first ever GA purchase. I wanted to buy the earliest Batman book I can afford at that time and pursued this book at Comiclink in the Exchange section back in 2006. Funny thing is was that this book already had a sales pending on it and I was on the Waiting List. A few days later, Josh emailed me saying that the buyer backed out of paying for the book and asked if I was still interested in purchasing it. To my pleasure and excitement I said definitely and the rest was history. Bought the book for $3000.

Picture011.jpg

This book was my first ever GA purchase. I wanted to buy the earliest Batman book I can afford at that time and pursued this book at Comiclink in the Exchange section back in 2006. Funny thing is was that this book already had a sales pending on it and I was on the Waiting List. A few days later, Josh emailed me saying that the buyer backed out of paying for the book and asked if I was still interested in purchasing it. To my pleasure and excitement I said definitely and the rest was history. Bought the book for $3000.

Picture011.jpg

What a first purchase ! :applause:

This would likely be one of my favorite threads if more boardies post. I like looking back at everyone's feelings, reactions, experiences, etc. Should be some great stories out there. Waiting to hear about a major GA collection find hehe..

Great thread!First GA comic I ever read?A coverless Action #1 at MapleCon,a three day event in 1988...you signed up and they called your name over the PA whenyou were on deck.likely my coolest memory ,i was eleven...now for first GA bought...would that include Atom Age?