• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were there duplicates in the White Mountain collection?

36 posts in this topic

Agreed. Did not pay a premium on the FF Ann 1 about 7 yrs ago when I bought it. The dealer had a separate box of higher grade ECs & silver Marvels he picked up with the silver Sotheby's lot # sticker on the mylars.

Bought a hi-grade silver Gr Lantern 59 direct from J Weist b4 the Wht Mtn collection was named. They were packed in long boxes with chicken wire protection on top to preserve the grade of the mylared comics from stickey-fingered collectors. shocked.gif

The annual with "6-31" is NOT a White Mountain book. I have seen books with "1961" or "1960" on them - starting around 1962 the owner started consistently writing only the last two numbers of the year on the cover. None of the books had a month and day written on the cover. Also, almost all the books from the early 60's had a date written at the top of the front page - some have a date stamp on the first page.

There are Pacific Coast, Western Penn, Boston and Mass books that may grade higher but NONE of those pedigrees have the smell of the White Mountains. The White Mountain books still smell like they did when they were first made. Several years ago when I bought a number of the FFs, I was stunned by the smell. I took one whiff and I was transported back to the 60's - it was surreal. I haven't found another pedigree that has the original smell.

So, for me, the White Mountain books are the Mile High books of the Silver Age.

Regarding duplicates, there are duplicates. Not many though. I know there are some duplicate X-Men and I know for a fact that there are two of FF#27 (both graded 9.2). Other than that, I don't know exactly which numbers. However, under #50, I think the #27 is the only duplicate FF - I can't speak for the annuals.

For those who care about this sort of thing, this is what I know about the White Mountain FF grades:

#1 9.2 (I think)

#2 9.4

#5 9.4

#7 9.4

#24 9.6

#27 9.2

#28 9.4

#29 9.4

#32 9.0

#34 9.4

#35 9.6

#37 9.2

#41 9.4

#45 9.4

#46 9.6

Almost all the teens had problems that would keep them from being 9.4s - I know this because I passed on them way back when. The #20,22,25,30,31,36 also had problems. However, they all smelled really nice. :-)

I wonder how the smell had been preserved. Anyone have any idea? For that matter, can anyone explain what they smelled like and what the big difference is from the average book? The only White Mountain books I've owned have been sealed in slabs.

Hi All: I've never owned any WM books, but I have owned others on the list. Both the Pacific Coast and Western Pa books that I have owned have retained the smell of a comic that was just printed. The fresh odor of new ink, on books that in most cases are 40 years old. The PC books were stacked and that probably had something to due with the preservation much like the MH's. The W Pa's were bundled in groups of maybe 50 books or so and placed in laundry bags. the MH's that I have had the priviledge to sniff had an odor of Cedar, I would imagine from being stacked in the cedar lined closet at Edgar Church's home.

The difference being that most books were stored in boxes in attics or basements and have either acidic or musty smells. Go to the newstand or comic shop buy a new comic, and take a whif, thats the smell.

Best, Tom

Hi All,

I can provide with certainty a "yes" that there were in fact duplicates of the White Mountain run. Back in 2000, I submitted a copy that I suspiciously thought was a White Mountain, (a Fantastic Four # 10), but one that was not sold to me as such. Weeks later, CGC called asking if I had any idea what I had, at which point I revealed to them my suspicions. They then subsequently contacted Mr. Weist who confirmed the book was a duplicate when he identified a very unique characteristic (the upper right corner was missing a tiny chip, other then that, it was an unread copy). The book was on ebay, and though it didn't meet my outrageous reserve, it still soon thereafter found a home for many multiples of Guide.

So, in the end, there are at least two WM F.F. 10s for sure, not certain of any other numbers.

Hope that helps!

Since WM FF's are my favourite pedigree, here is an updated list of known graded copies:

#1 9.2 (rumoured by many, yet to have seen)

#2 9.4 Doug's Vault

#5 9.4 Doug's Vault

#7 9.4 Doug's

#10 apparently 2 copies

#11 9.4 Doug's

#12 9.4 the Vault

#13 9.2 Beautiful copy

#15 9.2 very nice copy

#16 9.0 x 2

#22 9.4

#24 9.6

#25 7.5

#26 9.4

#27 9.2 x 2

#28 9.4

#29 9.4

#30 9.0

#31 8.0

#32 9.0

#34 9.4

#35 9.6 & 9.2

#36 9.4

#37 9.2

#38 9.4

#41 9.4

#43 9.2

#45 9.4

#46 9.4

#50 9.2

#55 9.2

#58 9.6

#59 9.6

#67 9.4

#68 9.4

#71 9.4

#77 9.2

#98 9.2

Annual #1 ? 9.4

If anyone has more information please continue thread or PM!

#1 9.2 (rumoured by many, yet to have seen)

I've seen it, it was unsuccessfully up for sale on ebay and on the Manning auctions in 2001. Bob Storms owned it for a while after that then sold it. It was definitely 9.2 back then, I forget the PQ, I think ow/w.

Unsuccessful, wow that is unbelievable! I wonder if this WM copy is pressable (not that I believe in pressing). From previous posts, I heard this copy is unbelievable and comparable to the 9.4 and 9.6 owned by Doug & Tom respectively.

Unsuccessful, wow that is unbelievable! I wonder if this WM copy is pressable (not that I believe in pressing). From previous posts, I heard this copy is unbelievable and comparable to the 9.4 and 9.6 owned by Doug & Tom respectively.

I haven't seen it in many years and my memory could be faulty, but I remember the book had some pre-Marvel tears on the top of the back cover. It was still a stunning book in any event. I thought it was a nicer book than one of the 9.4s out there.