• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are You a Completionist or a Non-Completionsit?

Are You a Completionist or a Non-Completionist?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Are You a Completionist or a Non-Completionist?

77 posts in this topic

When I first started collecting comics back in '85, I would only collect books I could find full runs of -Fury of Firestorm and V. I soon changed my mind and added titles that I know I'll never complete the whole series-Batman and Detective. I made a compromise that I would try to buy issues as far back as monetarily possible. I now have complete runs of about every series I collect except Batman and 'Tec. On Batman I have 159 to current and Detective 323 to current. I guess a 40 year run isn't too bad considering how long I've been collecting comics.

Uncanny X-Men #'s 1, 3, 4 & 6

Annuals #1 and 2

Giant Size #2

Amazing Adventures #11

Do you need them in high grade or dont care about the grade?

No, I don't need HG, but I also don't want any that were used to soak up what Darth's diaper couldn't absorb either. On the higher $ books (X-Men 1, 3, 4 & 6) I'd be happy with VG to Fine+ and on the others I'd go F+ to VF/NM. I just want structurally sound, decent looking books. No pages missing, no big chucks missing from covers, like that.

le voila

gsxmen2.jpg

$20, including shipping.

Annuals #1 and 2

Giant Size #2

Amazing Adventures #11

Uncanny X-Men #3 & 4 are surprisingly hard to find in mid grade without paying extortionist prices. I just finished my X-Men 1 - current run and those were the last two for me to get confused-smiley-013.gif

Great thread. Loved reading it.

Completionist all the way for me I'm afraid. Working of a full set of DC from 1970 to date, Crossgen full set, Defiant Full set, Broadway Full set and thinking about Innovation.

Regards Earl.

So I'm a mini-completionist:

No desire at all for complete runs of series that span from the Golden Age to the mid-1950s post-Code funk to the 1990s drek. But I do really really like to complete long runs within the titles I collect.

Green Lantern #1-#89. I also have lots of the #90-#200 revival, but no desire to own them all, e.g. the horrible mid #100's. Ditto for the 1980/1990s relaunched series. But with Rebirth, I'll probably be back for the re-re-launch. screwy.gif

Justice League #17-#200. No desire at all for the post #200 period, culminating in the JLA-Detroit (Vibe, Gypsy, etc.) era. insane.gif Why start with #17? Well, the earlier issues are all reprinted in 80 Page Giants and 100 Page Super Spectaculars within the run. I know it makes less sense now that the Archives have reprinted all the early issues, but that's how I originally scoped out my JLA collection back in the day.

I do have Doom Patrol complete from MGA 80 to DP 121, because it is generally the same creative team throughout, and the run is self-contained to less than 50 issues. thumbsup2.gif

With Batman and Detective, I've generally stayed away from even trying to do mini-runs. In the Silver Age, only every other issue of Detective (the ones drawn by Infantino) are readable. In the Bronze Age you have an O'Neil/Adams masterpiece one issue, then a Frank Robbins-scripted mess the next. I'm probably alone on the boards in liking Robbins as an artist, much preferring him drawing rather than scripting. 893whatthe.gif But thanks to these boards, I've started to shift my thinking. A lot of even the lesser Bronze Age Batman and Detective issues nevertheless have killer Adams covers. So I'm settling on Detective #395-#450 and Batman #217-#265 as the defining points for my Bronze Age collection. (With selected issues outside those runs, of course).

And I pick and choose lots of other runs: Teen Titans? Only really care about the non-Bob Haney issues that Giordano edited (#19-31 or so). Likewise, Aquaman only becomes readable when Steve Skeates wrote it beginning with #40.

So I suppose I'm a selective-completionist-sorta. yeahok.gif

Annual #2

Amazing Adventures #11

No, I don't need HG, but I also don't want any that were used to soak up what Darth's diaper couldn't absorb either. On the higher $ books (X-Men 1, 3, 4 & 6) I'd be happy with VG to Fine+ and on the others I'd go F+ to VF/NM. I just want structurally sound, decent looking books. No pages missing, no big chucks missing from covers, like that.

le voila

gsxmen2.jpg

$20, including shipping.

PM sent! Six to go. yay.gif

Uncanny X-Men #3 & 4 are surprisingly hard to find in mid grade without paying extortionist prices. I just finished my X-Men 1 - current run and those were the last two for me to get confused-smiley-013.gif

I've noticed that. I'm thinking I'll have to end up getting those two books at a con or from a board member.

I've noticed that. I'm thinking I'll have to end up getting those two books at a con or from a board member.

Last year I bought a slabbed 7.5 copy of #3 for $490, and a slabbed 8.0 copy of #6 for $360. Both were at least 10% over guide.

Annual #2

Amazing Adventures #11

OG,

My AA #11 is presently at CGC. If you are interested, I'll let you know when it comes back. All of the others I sold about 6 months ago, but they were all the notorious "CCA stamp clipped pedigree" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Still they were very nice copies that went relatively cheap - all for less than $100 (except for the #1 which fetched $350) cloud9.gif

My AA #11 is presently at CGC. If you are interested, I'll let you know when it comes back.

Are you expecting a high grade? What do you grade it? I'd be interested if it's not super HG.

I am expecting a respectable grade for the AA #11 and an obscenely HG for the AA #12 sumo.gif

Both were posted in the grading forum a while back - they are still about 2 months away,as I submitted them on 12/16/04 economy. - I'll keep you posted

My AA #11 is presently at CGC. If you are interested, I'll let you know when it comes back.

Are you expecting a high grade? What do you grade it? I'd be interested if it's not super HG.

wait wait!

amazingadventures11.jpgmissed your post last night - if you want it, I'll pull it