• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone using archival supplies or framing for vintage posters? POV?

21 posts in this topic

I have a large collection of Japanese movie posters for which I am considering purchasing mylar sleeves / halfbacks. Has anyone purchased archival materials of any kind for posters? I'm interested in archival quality portfolios also, but haven't yet seen anything like this. I'm also interested in purchasing some type of flat file or storage for them also.

Why I ever got into collecting these, I don't know, but I should have foreseen the storage issues involved.

I have a large collection of Japanese movie posters for which I am considering purchasing mylar sleeves / halfbacks. Has anyone purchased archival materials of any kind for posters? I'm interested in archival quality portfolios also, but haven't yet seen anything like this. I'm also interested in purchasing some type of flat file or storage for them also.

Why I ever got into collecting these, I don't know, but I should have foreseen the storage issues involved.

What sort of films?

Hopefully POV is only over there in order to dump that stuff so he can buy more Gold.

The posters are mainly from early 70's exploitation genre films.

I actually have one Japanese poster from that period hanging on my wall.

726824-26918.jpg

726824-26918.jpg.3f31cbb0198a6300aa32a06680c3eea1.jpg

I think that the graphic design of that time period is terrific. I'm a big fan of not only the films of the early 70s, but the advertising as well.

There are a TON of Zatoichi films now available in the States.... you must be thrilled! I wish that we'd get more Japanese films of the early 70s.... there are so many good ones that aren't available here, and are even unavailable in Japan on DVD.

I think that the graphic design of that time period is terrific. I'm a big fan of not only the films of the early 70s, but the advertising as well.

There are a TON of Zatoichi films now available in the States.... you must be thrilled! I wish that we'd get more Japanese films of the early 70s.... there are so many good ones that aren't available here, and are even unavailable in Japan on DVD.

893applaud-thumb.gif I'm waiting for Zatoichi 14 to get an official (or, to be honest, unofficial) subtitled release and I'll be able to watch the whole set in a crazy Zatoichi marathon weekend. I've been working towards that since Home Vision announced their DVD line...

Well I use archval framing supplkies. I frame all of my pieces myself. Quick easy and cheap. I use Nielsen style metal frames. But NOT the ubiquitous back, silver or gold. I get the frames mail order in colors. Mainly red, blue and dark green. Seems to be able to match mosst pieces with these colors. For lobby cards ( use a 14x18 frame with a backing board and a matte board. The matte is the same color as the farme and the results are beautiful.

For larger pieces like inserts (14 x 36), half-sheets (22 x 28), window cards (14 x 22) and one-sheets (27 x 41) I use a colored frame and a backing board but no matte board. I like to fdrame it flush to the edge. I use an air-spacer (a think strip of plastic (archival with archival glue) that you run around the edge of the glass (I use plexi-glass. Much lighter and no shattering problems like glass) This helps separate the piece from the glass.

All the matte and backing boards are archival. I can do a piece for less than 1/4 what a framer would charge me. And once you get the hang of it you can do even larger pieces very quickly.

I think Pov has moved over to the dark side (Brone Age Forum) as I haven't seen him post here very often. tongue.gif

Well I confess to be especailly enamored of the BA horror lately, but I haven;t been posting much of anyplace lately due to work. frown.gif Am very tired. frown.giffrown.gif

What did you think of the new Zatoichi with Beat in the role?

I haven't actually seen it. I rarely go to the theaters anymore, so I usually end up waiting on the DVD release and even then I usually end up getting films through netflix. Normally that's fine since a lot of the movies I watch are either older, foreign or both, but sometimes it puts me behind the curve. The good thing is... it's fifth in my netflix queue headbang.gif

1. Easy Rider

2. Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator

3. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

4. A Day Without a Mexican

5. The Blind Swordman: Zatoichi

POV... where do you buy your framing supplies? I have a ton of 1 sheets and the framing places here charge a minimum of $140 to frame them up foreheadslap.gif

OK - here is what I do. I use an internet frame supply company (www.americanframe.com). You can get very nice quality aluminum frames in a variety of colors (I like the Radius model). A 27x41 would cost about $10.50 (they have a sale going on - usually it would be about $14). What you do is order each pair by the inch. So if you have some odd-sized pieces, say 19 x 28 you can just select 19 for the width and 28 for the height. The price shown is for a PAIR of that length.

For 27x41 archival foamcore board, I avoid the oversize shipping fee by ordering 27x20 and 27x21. Then use a strong archival tape to tape them into 27x41. Have had one-sheets framed well over 7 years like this with no problem. This would cost about $10.

I go to Tap Plastics (www.tapplastics.com) for the glaze (aka glass). I use 3/32 plexi. A 27x41 would cost about $25. However, if they do not have a store in your area check for a place in your area for plastics. That 41" is a real bear and most places charge a heft over-size shipping fee.

I haven;t found the air spcaer at American Frame but you might ask them about it anyway. It comes in long strips and maybe a dollar's worth of that with the archival tape will cover the rest of the expenses.

So maybe, less shipping, about $48 for the stuff to do a one-sheet.

Start checking on the internet for picture frame supplies. I haven;t ordered for a while because I still have some material left over but I just pulled these prices today.

Pov

POV, thanks a lot for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Have you had any issues keeping the poster flat against the backing? Are you using anything to adhere it to the backing? As much as I want to do one-sheets, I may stick with doing my 10" x 28" posters that may not need any kind of adhesive.

POV, thanks a lot for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Have you had any issues keeping the poster flat against the backing? Are you using anything to adhere it to the backing? As much as I want to do one-sheets, I may stick with doing my 10" x 28" posters that may not need any kind of adhesive.

Oops - I forgot about that. You want to order archival hinges. Basically you do not want to use any "adhesive" on the back of the poster. You ARE going to have to settle for some slight lack of firm adherence to the backing board. But I assure you it will look just fine. The "hinges" are just that. A cloth or paper hinge with an archival adhesive you apply to two or three places across the top of the poster against the backing board. The hinges can be obtained from any internet frame supplier of merit and they are quite inexpensive.

POV, do the hinges have to be adhered to the poster? I hesitate to use anything that attaches to the poster itself.

I'm assuming that these hinges apply to the archival backing and keep the artwork from moving under the mat. Should I be concerned about the poster buckling or sagging in the middle?

POV, do the hinges have to be adhered to the poster? I hesitate to use anything that attaches to the poster itself.

I'm assuming that these hinges apply to the archival backing and keep the artwork from moving under the mat. Should I be concerned about the poster buckling or sagging in the middle?

You can try it withut the hinges and see how the results are. The frames come with these U-shaped pieces of spring metal that insert behind the edge of the frame on the back. They provide pressure so even without the hinges the pieces should remain stable. When you start getting to the smaller than one-sheet sizes this becomes even less of an issue.

Thanks, POV.

What do you do for the posters that you haven't framed? I was looking at Gerber's poster-sized mylars (28.75" x 22.75"). The height is too short for the Japanese posters I have, which are exactly 28.75" tall, which means that they would be at the top of the sleeve, or possibly even over the top because of sealed edge of the bottom taking up a bit of the height. What is the size of typical American one-sheets, 28" x 22"? If so, this is about .75" shorter than the Japanese posters I have, which could pose all kinds of hell when it comes to finding proper sleeves.

Thanks, POV.

What do you do for the posters that you haven't framed? I was looking at Gerber's poster-sized mylars (28.75" x 22.75"). The height is too short for the Japanese posters I have, which are exactly 28.75" tall, which means that they would be at the top of the sleeve, or possibly even over the top because of sealed edge of the bottom taking up a bit of the height. What is the size of typical American one-sheets, 28" x 22"? If so, this is about .75" shorter than the Japanese posters I have, which could pose all kinds of hell when it comes to finding proper sleeves.

Basiclly I keep them in a pile without mylar in a cool dark area. The American one-sheet is 27" x 41". That 28.75 x 22.75 is actually for an American half-sheet, which is 22" x 28".

I think I already posted this but the breakdown for American posters (up to one-sheets) is:

1-sheet: 27" x 41"

half-sheet: 22" x 28"

insert: 14" x 36"

window card: 14" x 22" (they have a few inches of white space at the top where the theater name, date and time were often written in by hand. Sometimes they get trimmed back to 14" x 18" but that is considered a defect.)

lobby card: 11" x 14"