• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is San Diego Going?

176 posts in this topic

Did the 300 wraparound cover art by Frank Miller sell and if it did does anyone know the price tag on that?...Nevermind...Gene was nice enough to message me. Sorry for the re-post and many thanks Gene!! I need to check for messages more often,lol

Koch/Thibodeaux:

20150709_125732.jpg

As usual, so few items carried prices that it was hard to say what seemed too high or too low, but

I noted that Surfer page as one of the few items that struck me as being worth more than the asking price, relatively speaking. The content is about as good as it gets and the images don't lose much from lacking the final colors because so much on the page is black and white, anyway.

The Cap 100 cover might not have been for sale, but even if it was priced at high six or low seven figures, I saw lots of ways a guy could spend that much or more and wind up with a stack of paper that would get nothing but dull stares from anybody outside of the hardest core of the hobby. But the Cap 100 cover, or the Spectacular Spider-man 2 unpainted cover Burkey had, or the early FF ad at Moy's - any of those would not only get a comic fan excited, they would also go a long way toward explaining themselves to virtually any guest who might see them on your wall.

I was at SDCC Thursday and Sunday - some answers to thread Qs

1. Albert Moy did have DD 1 page - I was quoted $100K+

2. The Miller Wraparound had $100K on it

3. Cap 100 cover is a stunner live...the Cap figure is much larger than I expected - it is 2X - and the Shore inks are gorgeous

4. As always at 30-40% off there is a good amount of art to buy but at full ask perhaps not so much...

5. Missing preview night cost me $300 but I did manage to acquire the page tha put me in that situation after it was sold to another collecor

Ran into a few CAF folk in my short time at SDCC - look forward to chatting again.

Until next year,

Mark

The Cap 100 cover might not have been for sale, but even if it was priced at high six or low seven figures, I saw lots of ways a guy could spend that much or more and wind up with a stack of paper that would get nothing but dull stares from anybody outside of the hardest core of the hobby. But the Cap 100 cover, or the Spectacular Spider-man 2 unpainted cover Burkey had, or the early FF ad at Moy's - any of those would not only get a comic fan excited, they would also go a long way toward explaining themselves to virtually any guest who might see them on your wall.

Not really. I don't think Captain America 100 would mean anything at all to a non-comic collector.

In fact, if they actually did know a bit about comic collecting and had learned that collectors' focus is generally on owning earlier issues, and particularly #1s, or at least first appearances, they might extrapolate that to think that #100 was really no big deal because the earlier 99 issues would be more desirable and obviously Captain America #100 couldn't be a first appearance since it was, well, #100.

Not really. I don't think Captain America 100 would mean anything at all to a non-comic collector.

In fact, if they actually did know a bit about comic collecting and had learned that collectors' focus is generally on owning earlier issues, and particularly #1s, or at least first appearances, they might extrapolate that to think that #100 was really no big deal because the earlier 99 issues would be more desirable and obviously Captain America #100 couldn't be a first appearance since it was, well, #100.

It says something akin to "big premiere issue" on the cover and is a large image by Kirby, who is arguably the closest that a comic artist comes to being a household name.

Some would need to have it explained that it's not the first series, but a fair number of civilians know that the movie cap is based on the revival by lee and kirby in the 60s. And even if you had to give that much explanation, it is still a lot less than you'd have to give to explain the value of other items with similar price tags.

A lot of collectors were surprised by how different the OA looks to the published cover (not the least of which is that it features Cap's face inked by Shores instead of the Sinnott paste-up which was used for publication).

I was at SDCC Thursday and Sunday - some answers to thread Qs

1. Albert Moy did have DD 1 page - I was quoted $100K+

2. The Miller Wraparound had $100K on it

3. Cap 100 cover is a stunner live...the Cap figure is much larger than I expected - it is 2X - and the Shore inks are gorgeous

4. As always at 30-40% off there is a good amount of art to buy but at full ask perhaps not so much...

5. Missing preview night cost me $300 but I did manage to acquire the page tha put me in that situation after it was sold to another collecor

Ran into a few CAF folk in my short time at SDCC - look forward to chatting again.

Until next year,

Mark

Does anyone have a pic of the Cap 100 cover?

What DD 1 page had $100k attached to it??

It says something akin to "big premiere issue" on the cover and is a large image by Kirby, who is arguably the closest that a comic artist comes to being a household name.

Some would need to have it explained that it's not the first series, but a fair number of civilians know that the movie cap is based on the revival by lee and kirby in the 60s. And even if you had to give that much explanation, it is still a lot less than you'd have to give to explain the value of other items with similar price tags.

I think we tend to over estimate the impact 'Grail' level pieces have on non-collectors.

If you bought Cap 100, the average person would wonder why you have a framed black and white photocopy of an old Captain America comic on your wall. When you explain it to them they'd probably think that it's kind of neat and you're a bit of a nerd. When they find out what you paid, they'd just think you're a really rich nerd.

Believe me, almost all of my friends are 'civilians' and I know what they think of my OA. I can see it in their eyes lol

[

Does anyone have a pic of the Cap 100 cover?

What DD 1 page had $100k attached to it??

i think this was it

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/3/36/Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090722211413 [/quote

I thought that 1968 cover was the one in discussion...

I think we tend to over estimate the impact 'Grail' level pieces have on non-collectors.

If you bought Cap 100, the average person would wonder why you have a framed black and white photocopy of an old Captain America comic on your wall. When you explain it to them they'd probably think that it's kind of neat and you're a bit of a nerd. When they find out what you paid, they'd just think you're a really rich nerd.

Believe me, almost all of my friends are 'civilians' and I know what they think of my OA. I can see it in their eyes lol

Good points re: OA in general (especially the B&W kind). And "grails' in specific.

I was trying to describe the Cap 100 cover not so much as a grail but as a piece that needs less explanation that most of the other comic OA out there. The image has been reprinted enough times that casual civilians may recognize it (though not the original art of Cap's face). It says "premiere" issue. Has a great image of a famous movie character, and is rendered by the one artist whose name might be recognized by civilian friends.

Maybe we need a term for items that are easily "grokked" by civilians. If you can tell a civilian what something is one short sentence so that he/she gets it and agrees on some level that it sounds like it should be worth big bucks, then you have a "grokkable" piece. If you have to go on for two more more sentences to explain why it's valuable to collectors and, in the end, they simply nod in order to defer to your insider knowledge, then it doesn't qualify

(not that it can't still be worth a boatload because all it needs are two or more well-heeled fans to be obsessed with it)

But the Cap 100 cover, or the Spectacular Spider-man 2 unpainted cover Burkey had, or the early FF ad at Moy's - any of those would not only get a comic fan excited, they would also go a long way toward explaining themselves to virtually any guest who might see them on your wall.

Ironically, all three pieces you cited require explanation, even to a hard-core comic fan. With the Cap #100, you have to explain why Cap looks so different vs. the published cover. With the pen & ink version of Spectacular Spidey #2, you have to explain what it is, since we all know the original version is painted. With the early FF ad, you have to explain when it appeared and why it's significant (that one was quoted at $100K, BTW).

Not that you couldn't explain what those three were, but there are other pieces which require much less explanation is all I'm saying.

If you can tell a civilian what something is one short sentence so that he/she gets it and agrees on some level that it sounds like it should be worth big bucks, then you have a "grokkable" piece.
Very much jimho - but I don't think there's any such thing in comic OA.

Comics yes (first Superman, first Spider-Man, etc etc), but OA no.

To them, our beloved OA is the wrong size and wrong color. It's stained and ugly. And it's been touched (and often signed too) by way too many people. "But did Picasso have an inker, did he do 'layouts only' too??" - can't you just hear it? The civilians in my life call it all (no matter what it is or what's going on) "production" stuff. Which coincidentally is exactly the sort of confusion that leadpink and other eBay sellers would like to encourage but with inertia in the opposite money direction :)

You make comments like you speak for everybody. Every person from my friends to family to workers who have come to my house to fix the plumbing has noticed the art on my walls and have asked questions about it. The more I tell them the more they are intrigued by it. As for my friends and family they know nothing about comic books and love my art collection. Some of them have even started doing bits of research about it for their own knowledge. I don't know why you think we are some obscure religious cult who are the only ones pathetic enough to appreciate comic art.

You know not to start a fight or anything but for all the times you put on the white hat do you ever have a positive post? All your posts are always so negative. Just a question.