• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is San Diego Going?

176 posts in this topic

the point about outsiders not getting the value is so true. You look at that wall pic with the fan goggles off and it looks like $500 worth of art

Nostalgic Investments (Bechara):

20150711_183514_resized_1.jpg

HAHA!! So he's the one that has that New Warriors cover now....hmmmm.

But what I want to know is if his buddy was there with any new Fear covers, and did Burkey stop by?

1) Increasingly, less artists and publishers have "free sketch" opportunities for the fans. Gone are the days where it was easy to line up at the DC booth and get a quick souvenir sketch. Back in the days not too long ago you could get Keith Giffen, Jim Starlin, Cliff Chaing, Jim Lee, and pretty much anyone who showed up that works for DC. The Artists Alley area is really about commerce, so it's somewhat less than reasonable to expect artists to spend valued time cranking out freebies when they need to pay the bills and end up seeing those sketches (and now sketch covers) resold. When the profiteering individuals came in to exploit the hobby, the creators and fans paid the price.

Also, those same artist do not make the same amounts to draw a book any longer. Gone are the days were an artist is paid $30 to $50K to draw and ink a monthly book.

3) A lot of the stuff you can find on the internet via the dealer websites. I didn't really encounter any awesome buying opportunities, including direct from artist solicitations for the most part. There's not that many are dealers and reps, and the material brought was stuff I've seen on their websites. There were a few exceptions of course, but for the most part not a wealth of exclusive opportunities born out of the show.

Someone else in this thread said that the prices on the booths was higher than the dealers websites - why make the journey to find less art and higher prices? Do you think that the artist have had their portfolios pick through at other shows leaving less than opportunities to find something out of the ordinary?

Just got back. Had a great time as always. I never go with the mindset that I *have* to leave with a piece of art or the show will be a failure...I'd likely end up overpaying for something I didn't really love just to have something. Still, I did manage to find a couple of small pieces that I'll enjoy which didn't break the bank (both under $1K).

Best part is always seeing friends and hanging out in that crazy festive atmosphere. The entire area has become nerd Mardi Gras. I love it. Favorite show of the year, hands-down, and it's not even close. Already looking forward to 2016!

(worship) (thumbs u (thumbs u

Does anybody know what number Avengers Annual is in this picture ? And also how much it was priced at ?

Kinp9nzT_1107150113011.jpg

That's #4

Avengers_Annual_Vol_1_4.jpg

No idea on the price.

Does anybody know what number Avengers Annual is in this picture ? And also how much it was priced at ?

Kinp9nzT_1107150113011.jpg

That's #4

Avengers_Annual_Vol_1_4.jpg

No idea on the price.

Thanks for the assistance

If anybody visited Albert Moys booth and knows the price, would love to know how much he is asking

Do you think that the artist have had their portfolios pick through at other shows leaving less than opportunities to find something out of the ordinary?

I think artists travel the convention circuit like a national tour and artwork gets depleted, but in one breath "one man's trash is another man's treasure" - so, it's hard to say art is picked through completely.

I know Mark Brook for example debuted "fresh to market" (or stuff that's been on ice for a short bit returned to him from his former art rep) artwork at San Diego Comic Con, and there were many collectors who rummaged through the $25-50 pages and the $200+ covers picking up great bargains.

I got some on Thursday, then returned on Sunday to find some unsold which on my way out the door decided to then pick up more.

They told me they had a stack of artwork, and was pricing it fan friendly with equal opportunities for everyone, including taking the whole stack of art and saving half to debut later this year in New York, to be fair to his East Coast fans.

So, that was one of the more, if not only, unique opportunity at SDCC for artwork with great pricing that was exclusive to the show. I don't think he has a website to sell art either, so you have to catch him at his convention appearances.

As for buying from other artists, I do sense at times, the longer pieces stay in a portfolio, the better the leverage to negotiate lower pricing. Since the artist is the creator of the piece and got paid by the publisher already, and also is at times continually cranking out new art, their ability to drop prices significantly is at times motivated by their mood or financial situation at the time (once I received 50% off from art by an artist who told me he was trying to fund a new amplifier).

Nostalgic Investments (Bechara):

20150711_183514_resized_1.jpg

HAHA!! So he's the one that has that New Warriors cover now....hmmmm.

I am sure that's going to be affordable.

It can't be more than half of what a Micronauts cover costs, right?

it will cost me 20k!!!

A BARGAIN!!!*

*relatively.

I will email him about it, since it's not on his website.

Were any board members lucky enough to make it to Scott Williams sale table? hm

From his posts it looked like plenty of bargains could be had from a top tier artist (shrug)

Someone was buying. Sold a ton of pages. Thought maybe some dealers would buy stacks because of the pricing but none of them came by. All the pages seemed to be going to fans, and that made me happy.

Scott

Someone was buying. Sold a ton of pages. Thought maybe some dealers would buy stacks because of the pricing but none of them came by. All the pages seemed to be going to fans, and that made me happy.

Scott

anything left over for non sdcc attending fans? :D

Scott

:wishluck:

Scott

:wishluck:

Ah, sorry guys, I'm afraid not. I make a lousy art dealer and cash and carry at conventions is about as complicated as I can handle.

Scott

when you say "MIKE.." .do you mean ME?? i'd love to see this spreadsheet of incredible great art worth hunderds of thousands of dollars and when the date was.

Sorry Mike the days of my sharing the contents in that way are long gone. "Fresh to market" seems to be a big deal these days. Really happy I didn't pursue the subject further with you at the time either!

Anyway, I didn't write "worth" (value), I wrote cost basis. Two different things. In my mind the "worth" even then would have been multiples higher of cost as some of those pieces were picked up in the early nineties and throughout, when 70s 80s were falling off trees for $25-$40 per. You remember those days, yes..? And I've always been successful at chiseling out good deals, so a very lean and mean cost basis too. Well the chance was there and a stronger offer at a time when I was thinking of making some major life changes would have made a deal, but you wanted pictures of everything (understandable)...1000 scans from scratch...I had more pressing business :)

A few years later I worked out a way to make the change and keep the art, so everybody's happy!