• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Strange is here..

68 posts in this topic

To me this portrait is the most quintessential Dr. Strange ever.

That must have been done during Colan's Dracula phase.

If you mean this illustration, it's from 2005, inking by McLeod added in 2006 (you can see the dates in the piece). :)

Actually his earlier Dr. Strange is from that range of issues I mentioned, culminating in #183 before the title's cancellation. That’s one of the peaks of Dr. Strange stories, IMO.

Thanks for the compliments – I love this drawing. (thumbs u

I always hated Strange's costume change in this run. If not for that costume, this may be my favorite Doc Strange cover ever.

Also, since this is all about love for the good Doctor, here’s a great illustration I purchased from the guy which had it done on commission by Colan (and later McLeod, which inked it). Unmasked, so it can please entalmighty as well. :foryou:

JJ0aKXgh.jpg

That's a fantastic piece!!

JJ0aKXgm.jpg

Thanks!

That’s precisely what I thought when the original collector which had the commission made listed it on eBay. It had a "Buy it Now" option: I thought about it for less than one minute, I think.

I do not collect original art, but this portrait to me was Dr. Strange in its most authentic essence.

In that period I was trying to fill the holes in my #169-183 run, locating nice copies without spending a fortune of the issues I loved most, and this came as a wonderful surprise. :)

If you mean this illustration, it's from 2005, inking by McLeod added in 2006 (you can see the dates in the piece). :)

That's crazy because I was just reading the Essential Dracula 1 and that image is a dead ringer for the old blood-sucker.

That's crazy because I was just reading the Essential Dracula 1 and that image is a dead ringer for the old blood-sucker.

Yes, when I first looked at it I saw Drac. I think it's the eyes. Colan was great on TOD too.

Nice piece of art!

JJ0aKXgm.jpg

Thanks!

That’s precisely what I thought when the original collector which had the commission made listed it on eBay. It had a "Buy it Now" option: I thought about it for less than one minute, I think.

I do not collect original art, but this portrait to me was Dr. Strange in its most authentic essence.

In that period I was trying to fill the holes in my #169-183 run, locating nice copies without spending a fortune of the issues I loved most, and this came as a wonderful surprise. :)

I've got a solid mid-high grade raw run, but now I'm trying to get them in CGC 9.2 or 9.4. If I get it done before a trailer leaks, I'll be in good shape. :)

It’s just because he's in a very reflexive mood. :cool:

Nah, I think Colan was tired and thought the guy asked for Dracula, then halfway through realized his mistake.

If it was a Dracula drawing you’d have said it was akin to Dr. Strange… lol

He had three commissions done, for the three characters. One was a Daredevil and the other a Captain America.

I think the way he drew the collar is fantastic. More of a suggestion that it's there than anything else.

I like swooshy things. :D

I love it as a whole too.

There is to keep in mind that McLeod added the inking a year later, the original pencil drawing was more soffused. I have a scan of it somewhere, posted by McLeod on his site, if I find it I will post it. :)

The pencils were very beautiful, but I was surprised by how faithfully McLeod was able to translate them in plain black and white.

He is really a masterful inker: Colan is not easy to ink. After buying the piece I got in touch with him and congratulated, here's the page from his site where you can see the other commissions I mentioned that he did for Larry Clay (from which I bought the Doc). :)

http://bobmcleod.com/commiss5.html#

wish he had stayed on the title longer

Well, Rudy Nebres is also awesome. Both my favorite Dr. Strange artists, after Ditko, and I also have a soft sport for Marie Severin's brief period. :)

I don't come in here often, but Rudy lives one town over from me.

NEBREScommissiondrac-doc.jpg

But my favorite was Brunner I think. (PMS is close.)

brunnerfigure.jpg

Just showing off now. hm

A more modern take.

P9250017.JPG