• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,457 posts in this topic

Joe,

Many thanks for the list of the other books-I now have a checklist.

I plan on finding them all as well as the associated paperbacks.

I had just started collecting the early Peanuts Paperbacks and this thread reawakened my intrest in Dennis the Menece.

The two go well together.

Tim

My pleasure, Tim! I agree Dennis and Peanuts go well together. As a matter of fact, Schulz and Ketcham were good buddies and played a lot of golf together, so it's no coincidence.

Now...Since you mentioned a checklist, perhaps it's time to unveil my checklist for the Dennis paperbacks. To my knowledge, this is the most comprehensive list of Dennis paperbacks available. I have done a lot of research and have been on eBay since 1999 where EVERYTHING seems to show up at least once eventually. If anyone knows of another cartoon book, please let us know.

Dennis the Menace Paperbacks - Complete Index

* As far as I can tell, there are a total of 49 Dennis books. This is a list for cartoon books that are reprints of the daily strip, not the storybooks,LGB's, coloring books, prayer books, cook book, movie novel, riddle book, Original & Best of & other reprint collections, etc.

* It seems the general rule for the paperbacks is that they each include about 124 cartoons, as opposed to the hardbacks, which each have 62.

* Baby-Sitter’s Guide was revised in the 1960s in paperback form, so it differs also, and since it is a mix of text and cartoons, it does not include the same number of cartoons.

* I have tried to list books chronologically based on the original copyright date in the front of the book, not the edition I have. The paperback copyrights tend to be later than the hardbacks of the same title. In cases where two books have the

same copyright year and no month listed, I looked in the back to see a list of

other available titles. If another title appears in one and not the other, the one

with the other title would appear to be the later publication. For examples, see

1970 or 1978.

Here are the 49 titles, listed chronologically:

Dennis the Menace 1952

More Dennis the Menace 1954

Baby-Sitter’s Guide 1955 - old edition - new edition

Rides Again 1955 - old edition - new edition

Wanted 1956 - old edition - new edition

VS Everybody 1957 - old edition - new edition

Household Hurricane 1957 - old edition - new edition

In This Corner 1959

Teacher’s Threat 1959

A.M. Ambassador of Mischief 1959

Happy Half-Pint 1962

Who Me? 1962

Make-Believe Angel 1964

Here Comes Trouble 1966

And Poor Ol’ Mr. Wilson March 1967

All-American Kid July 1968

And His Pal Joey December 1968

Short ‘N Snappy March 1969

Perpetual Motion 1969

Your Friendly Neighborhood Kid October 1969

Everybody’s Little Helper June 1970

Non-Stop Nuisance 1970

Voted Most Likely 1971

Surprise Package August 1971

Where the Action Is December 1971

Dennis Power 1972

The Kid Next Door 1973

Just For Fun May 1973

Busybody January 1974

Little Pip-Squeak August 1974

To the Core August 1975

Play It Again, Dennis 1975

Little Man in a Big Hurry March 1976

Short Swinger 1976

And His Girls 1977

Your Mother’s Calling October 1977

Ol’ Droopy Drawers 1978

I Done It My Way 1978 (previous book listed in back)

Driving Mother Up the Wall 1979

Short in the Saddle December 1979

Ain’t Misbehavin’ May 1980

Stayin’ Alive September 1980

Good Intenshuns March 1981

One More Time August 1981

The Way I Look at It January 1982

Dog’s Best Friend 1982

Super-Charged and Ever Ready March 1983

Sunrise Express September 1983

Five Years At the Same Location 1987 (Large-Size Paperback)

By the way, I have a near complete set of these -- 48 different of the books above (missing only the last one) I am getting ready to put on eBay. The most I've ever seen for sale at once is 36 different, so it will be interesting to see what these are worth. If anyone is interested, feel free to send me a message. Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all Dennis fans.

Joe

Allen, thanks for posting that great daily thumbsup2.gif If there's one thing missing from this thread it's some focus on the highlights of the current strip, which still has some gems. You have inspired me to go dig some out that I have saved.

Joe

Cool! thumbsup2.gif Sounds like you are hard at work, Jon.

I've been working too. Finally I am finished indexing the Giant / Bonus Magazine / Big Bonus Series. The only changes I will make are to notate any mistakes - obviously - and to say which particular issues from the regular series are reprinted in the various issues. I can only do that once I have indexed the regular series. Plus I hope to have completed my research on the artists soon as well. As always, if anyone spots a mistake, please let me know.

In addition, I have never been able to figure out why this series goes from #194 to #10 and #11. Absolutely the most bizarre numbering of a comic series I have ever seen. foreheadslap.gif

Joe

#156. Pretty Tricky!

Reprints from Giant #63: Animal Magic; Teacher's Threat (also reprinted in Jackpot! #94 and #139); Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief, Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief! (story about each one)

Reprint from Bonus Magazine #106: Monkey Business

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1976

#157. Dare-Devil Dennis

Reprints from Giant #20: Fairy 'Nuff; All Steemed Up; Seal Sale Success Story; Suits Me (Get It?)

Reprint from Giant #55: Dennis's / Aesop's Fables

Reprint from #81: Flying High

Publisher: Fawcett, August 1976

#158. Christmas Special

New Stories: Up a Tree; Christmas Is BUSting Out All Over; The Red Coats Are Comin'! (3 pages Bicentennial illustrations); Dreaming of a Red White and Blue Christmas; The Other Birthday; 1977 Dennis Calendar

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1976

#159. Dennis the Menace & Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

New Stories: Santa's Helpers Help Thems-Elves; 3 page cooking article (cooking directions with illustrations); Merry Christmas to Mr. Wilson...; Let George Do It; 15 page How to Make a Dennis book feature

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1976

#160. Yearbook

New Stories: Jan-Year-Ary; Febrrruary; March; Aprain; The May Pole; The JuNewlyweds; JuLiberty; AuGusty; SepTemper; October; NovemBird; Descender

Publisher: Fawcett, January 1977

Note: Completely different from #151 of the same title.

#161. Off and Running

Reprints from Fun Book #1: Dream Vacation; Real Cool; Misster Mitchell; The Secret Life of Dennis Mitchell; 2 pages of puzzles (mystery square & quizzle); Dennis in the Scout-O-Rama; Dippy Dennis

Publisher: Fawcett, February 1977

#162. Dennis at Marriott's Great America

New Story: Marriott's Great America

Publisher: Fawcett, March 1977

Note: Circulation statement reads: 301,362.

#163. Cherry Blossom Festival

New Story: Cherry Blossom Festival

Publisher: Fawcett, April 1977

Note: Included in story are several features: How to Make Oragami; How to Make a Pinwheel; 3 The Cookie Jar features: Akita Dogs and Taiko Drums; What Are the Martial Arts?; Ohio (Hello) and Sayonara (Good-bye).

#164. Just Kid-ding

Reprints from regular title?: The Park Lark; Cowboy Puzzle (1 page); All Worked Up; More Bunny Funnies (1 page puzzle); Shower Power

Publisher: Fawcett, May 1977

Note: Different from #142 of the same title.

#165. The Best of Dennis

Reprints from regular series: Just Poolin'; The Texas STRanger; Peace and QUIET!; Dig That Dennis!

Reprint from Giant #7: Time Out for Marineland

Publisher: Fawcett, June 1977

#166. Vacation Sensation

Reprint of Jamaica story from Bonus Magazine #76

Note: Indica is printed backwards.

#167. At the National Air & Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C.

New Story: Dennis Visits the National Air & Space Museum; The Cookie Jar: What IS the National Air & Space Museum?

#168. Tough and Tricky

Reprints: Pitter Patter Painter; Dennis Acts Up; Crossed Words; 2 pages of puzzles (Quizzle Your Friends; More Quizzlers); Barber Business

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1977

#169. He's All Yours!

Reprints: Dennis Loves Gina/Margaret/Sally; Fuss 'N' Feathers; The Heat's On Off On Off On Off..; Hearing Things; Strictly For/Against the Birds

Publisher: Fawcett, August 1977

#170. A Special Christmas

New Stories: The Nutcracker; 2-Page feature on how to make your own Christmas tree "Nutcracker" dolls; The Festival of the Trees; 1978 Dennis calendar

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1977

#171. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

New Stories: Jolly George; 3-page how to make a stained glass poinsettia window feature; Generous George?; 10-page how to make a Dennis book feature

Inside back cover: Ad for Dennis and Bible Kids #1-#6

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1977

Note: Last issue where indica says published "by Hallden Division of Fawcett Publications." This must be the last Fawcett issue.

#172. All Year Long

New Stories: In a JAMuary; It's FIBruary; March!; April Pool!; Mam-May!; Junemoonbloom; 1-2-3-4th of July; AWgust; Schooltember; OctOHber; NOvember; December Remember

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, January 1978

Notes: Circulation statement: 357,784. Last issue to say "Fawcett" on the front cover. Indica now reads published "by Hallden Unit, CBS Consumer Publishing, a division of CBS, Inc."

#173. The Best of Dennis

Reprints: Ice Scream; Clearance Sale; Record Time; Ring Around a Rosie/Margaret; The Quitter Sitter

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, February 1978

Note: Last issue that is titled Dennis the Menace Bonus Magazine Series

#174. In Hawaii: Maui

New Story in Chapters: Maui No Ka Oi; Lahaina; Kaanapali; Haleakala; Heavenly Hana

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, March 1978

Notes: No relation to previous Dennis in Hawaii stories. From this number on the series is called Dennis the Menace Big Bonus Series and features a new cover logo and look.

#175. In the Soup

Reprints: The Big Flap; Electrickery; All Boxed In; Birds of a Feather; Horsin' Around

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, April 1978

#176. Cookie Capers

Reprints: Never Say Die(t); Mr. Mitchell The Mastermind; 2 Puzzle Pages: The Word Game, How Many Triangles Here?; The Big Question; Bungle Island (non-Dennis feature); On the Dream Beam; The Cookie Jar: No Use Trying; The Lunch Lesson

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, May 1978

#177. Fair Enough

New Story: Fair Enough

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, June 1978

Note: New cover logo with stripe at the top begins and continues until end of the series.

#178. The Short Sport

Reprints: The Little Nipper; Hard Luck Story; 3 pages Dennis dailies; Shoe Enough!; Beddy Bye

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, June 1978

#179. Triple Trouble

Reprints: Energy Crisis; On Your MARKet; Not Quite SUITable; The Newsleak; How the Ball Bounces; High Steaks

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, July 1978

#180. Going ? & Coming

Reprints: The Chow Hound; Butterfly Business; To Each His Groan; The Guessing Game; For Goodness Sake

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, July 1978

#181. Dennis in San Diego California

New Story: Let's Go-Go-Go to San Diego; First Stop: Sea World; South of the Border Down Mexico Way; Balboa Park; ZOOming Right Along;

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, August 1978

Note: Indica appears at bottom of first page for the first time instead of on the inside of the front cover.

#182. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

New Story: The Secret Santa; 11 page How to Make a Dennis Cartoon Book feature

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, October 1978

#183. Christmas Special

New Stories: Santa's Flaws; He's a Card!; The Cookie Jar: Here's How You Can Help Unicef (1 page); Dennis and Joye (sic); The Story of Unicef in Words and Pictures (4 pages); And Finally...; 1979 International Year of the Child Calendar

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, October 1978

Note: Last 35 cent issue.

#184. Visits the United Nations

New Stories: Dennis at the United Nations; ABC's of Unicef (4 page article, text with illustrations); The Rights of the Child; The Cookie Jar: What Your Folks Can Do for the International Year of the Child

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, January 1979

Notes: Circulation statement: 259, 372. Cover price increases to 40 cents.

#185. The Best of Dennis

Reprints: Monterey County Fair; Dennis the Bookworm; Pest Control; The Cookie Jar: ...In Washington D.C.

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, February 1979

#186. Dennis Goes Ape with Real Gorillas!

New Stories: Dennis Returns to San Diego; Harbor Excursion; Cabrillo National Monument; San Diego Wild Animal Park

Inside front cover: "Fall" Into This Puzzle! (puzzle)

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, March 1979

#187. The One and Only!

Reprints: Dennis/Jack and the Beanstalk; Play Ball; The Menace of the Seas

Inside front cover: "Fall" Into This Puzzle! (puzzle)

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, April 1979

#188. Dennis Carries On...And On...And On...

Reprint from Giant #52: They're Off!

Reprint from Giant #70: The Match Girl

Reprint from Bonus Magazine #115: The Back Pack Snap Crack

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, May 1979

Notes: Comic says "Dennis the Menace, created by Hank Ketcham, appears in over 700 newspapers...in 43 countries...in 14 languages!" Ad on inside back cover is for Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun.

#189. Fore!

Reprint from Sports Special #52: Fore!

Reprints: Dennis the Menace Rides Again!

Reprint from Giant #2: Linda Vista Hotel: No Children

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, June 1979

Note: Ad on inside back cover is for Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun.

#190. Aloha! Dennis in Hawaii! Kauai: The Garden Isle

Reprints: Dennis on Cow-eye - But the Hawaiians Spell It Kauai; So Many Hooneys!; Up a Crazy River We'll Be Havin' Fun; On the Road to Hanalei; Chop-Chop-Chopping Along; 1 page Dennis Mitchell Certificate of High Honor from Jack Harter Helicopters; 1 page Kauai map (last page)

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, 1979

Note: Ad on inside back cover is for Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun.

#191. Hold the Phone - Here Comes Dennis!: Anybody Home?

Reprint from Bonus Magazine #118: Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

Reprints from Dennis Goes to Camp Giant #9: Horsing Around; Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground

Inside back cover: Ten Things Are Wrong with This Picture - Can You Find Them?

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, July 1979

#192. At the Polynesian Cultural Center

New Stories: Polly-Needs-Ya!; The Maoris of New Zealand; Marquesas; Fiji; Tahiti; Tonga; How to See All of Poynesia in a Day! (1 page feature)

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, August 1979

#193. Christmas Special

New Stories: Saint Santa; The Space Santa; The Story Trees

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, October 1979

#194. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

New Stories: The Search for Santa; The Santa Spirit; Sudden Santa; How to Make a Dennis Christmas Book ( 11-page feature)

Inside front cover: Ad for The Very Best of Dennis the Menace #1

Inside back cover: Hickory-Dickory-Doctor (puzzle)

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, October 1979

Note: Last issue in series.

Dennis the Menace Big Bonus Series #10: Margaret Gets a Jump on Leap Year!

New Stories: Lucky Leap Year; New Year's ReS/Volutions; 2 pages of The Cookie Jar: Who Is This Funny-Looking Kid? & Is He Dennis's Cousin? (feature about Little Joe, Ketcham's first strip about a kid that he wrote in the 1940s that was not successful.); Happy M/Birthdays

Inside front cover: Puzzle Page

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, February 1980

Notes: Circulation statement: 253,516.

Dennis the Menace Big Bonus Series #11: King for a Day -- Dennis's Way!

New Story: Tut, Tut, Dennis; 4 pages of activities in center of comic: color an Egyptian mural, the hieroglyphic alphabet; spelling your name in hieroglyphics; 2 other coloring pages towards end of story.

Inside front cover: Puzzle Page

Inside back cover: What Do You Know About Our Flag? Puzzle

Publisher: Hallden Unit of CBS Consumer Publishing, April 1980

Notes: Circulation statement: 253,516. Entire story is about Dennis's visit to the King Tut exhibit. Activity pages are inserted throughout the story. This is the last issue of the Big Bonus Series. Dennis comics will not be launched again until November 1981 when Marvel begins publishing the series.

Allen posted a new Dennis cartoon a few days back, and I said I would look for a cool one that I'd seen recently. Based on the poll we ran here a few pages back, it looks like many fans had given up on the strip, but there really are some great ones out there still being produced. Kudos to Marcus Hamilton and Ron Ferdinand for keeping Dennis alive! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Here's one that was laugh-out-loud funny to me. It clearly is not "PC" and is closer to the "menace" Dennis that we all seem to enjoy more than the "warm and fuzzy" version. Enjoy!

828715-i041201dendemen.jpg

828715-i041201dendemen.jpg.7598c15044bcd37eea0d607d8f25f003.jpg

Cool! thumbsup2.gif Sounds like you are hard at work, Jon.

In addition, I have never been able to figure out why this series goes from #194 to #10 and #11. Absolutely the most bizarre numbering of a comic series I have ever seen. foreheadslap.gif

Joe

Thanks Joe, both for your compliment and for your work; howver, if yoy think this is the most bizarre numbering of any comic, you must clearly not be a Charlton fan. I think Charlton tried to confuse us. :-). They'd change titles and continue numbering then they'd go back and renumber then pick up the old title and continue it where they left off. After years of trying fans haven't yet even benn able to trace what goes where completely.

Jon, I have only dabbled in Charltons over the years but will take your word for their numbering. But I would have to ask: Do they really have a numbering on their comics that is confusing as this Dennis the Menace Giant / Bonus Magazine / Big Bonus Series? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Here is a summary of its numbering:

The first two giants have no number.

The third giant is labeled #2, which botches the numbering for all following issues.

There are two #6's.

There are two #95's.

There is no #96.

The last three issues of the 198 issues published are #194, #10, and #11.

Why? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have already mentioned that the title changed three times during the course of its publication. Why? confused-smiley-013.gif

How about this for publication dates?

Giant # 71 has for its publication date September 1969, and Giant #72 has August 1969 for its publication date. A higher number being published a month earlier??? I could mention that most years had two issues published in October then none again till January the following year...

foreheadslap.gif

It has taken quite a while to sort all this out, but I believe there are few mysteries remaining about what is what. HOW this all happened certainly has me curious, but I won't lose sleep over it. grin.gif

Joe

Jon, I have only dabbled in Charltons over the years but will take your word for their numbering. But I would have to ask: Do they really have a numbering on their comics that is confusing as this Dennis the Menace Giant / Bonus Magazine / Big Bonus Series? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Here is a summary of its numbering:

Joe

Well how about Blue Beetle?

Charlton published

The Thing 1-18 which became Blue Beetle 18-21 which became Mr Muscles 22-3

then years later they published

Blue Beetle 1-5 which they canceled after which they changed the name of

Unusual Tales (#1-49) to Blue Beetle for #50-54 which then became Ghostly Tales 55-

Then they started a new Blue Beetle (this is the Ditko one) which ran issues 1-6.

Several years later they, under the Modern imprint, rerpinted

Blue Beetle 1 3 (but not #2)

27_laughing.gif

Okay, I'm convinced! Remind me not to try to index any Charlton comics. If I can get these Dennis books indexed without getting grey hairs, I'll be happy.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to post this rarity for some time. I saw it a total of two times on eBay, and they were both from the same guy sold back to back. Needless to say, I snagged one of them for about $35. I emailed a scan of this to Doug Sulipa to get his take on it. It's a sealed three-pack of comics: 2 are Dennis comics and the one in the center is an unknown Gold Key title. Anybody else ever seen sealed packs of Dennis books???

829010-dennis3pack1.jpg

829010-dennis3pack1.jpg.dfd7e5e8aaf2bf39d52fea19ecdc0693.jpg

27_laughing.gifIt's a sealed three-pack of comics: 2 are Dennis comics and the one in the center is an unknown Gold Key title. Anybody else ever seen sealed packs of Dennis books???

I've seen lots of sealed comics over the years. Except for the DC and King Comics three packs, I don't recall any that were official -- that is packaged by the original publishing company (though I seem to recall Marvel might have done it. Th eonly Marvels I ever saw were unofficial three packs which was great when growing up since Marvels were not well distributed where I was. The other ones I saw were like these a mixture of publishers. I suspect these were remaindered comics being resold. The backing certainly looks generic.

Jon

First, a big thank you for posting some of the current strips. It's always nice to see Dennis returning to his roots. Let's hope this trend continues.

Second, I agree with Jon that the 3-pack looks like a store (or chain of stores) taking it upon themselves to pack comics into 3-packs. The backing board is generic, the price stickers would have been printed separately and then applied to the board, and the whole magilla shrink-wrapped. Even if all 3 comics were 35-centers, it's not much of a discount - just a way to move some books without them getting dinged up and pawed over by kids.

Lastly, I think the reasons for most of the goofy numbering on the Giant/Bonus series is explainable (not making it correct, just explaining it). The first # 2 was probably meant as the second Vacation Special. But when it came time for the second Christmas Special, somebody decided they would just have one series of Giants rather than separate series of Vacation & Christmas Specials. So, Christmas Special #2 became Dennis Giant # 3 (even tho' it was really # 4!). The two #6's occured with the publishing changed hands from Ned Pines company (Standard/Pines) to the Fawcett-produced Halden (a similar arrangement to Western Publishing producing comics that were sold under the Dell brand). Somebody goofed and gave the first Halden Christmas Special a # 6.

The two 95's was probably just a screw-up that they "corrected" by publishing no 96 and then continuing with 97.

Why the last two go to #10 & 11 - I can only think that somewhere they changed the title from Bonus to Big Bonus without changing the numbering. Then, they decided to change the numbering, went back and counted how many issues had been published under that title and adjusted the numbering for what turned out to be the last two releases.

Does anyone know the cartoonist Joe Messerli?

He knew AW in the mid 50's. I have a snapshot of us trout fishing in Pine Flat.

(Pine Flat and California Hot Springs appear a lot in DTM in the mid 50's)

Don't know if Joe worked on DTM or not.

He has done a lot of work for Disney and Sesame Street.

Hey Jim,

I recently recieved an email from Joe Messerli. He's interested in getting in contact with you, so I'm passing along your email address to him.

I've been busy with work, but now I'm gonna get all caught up on this thread...

Bill A.

First off, welcome JediJim.

Billy,

I had my stack of DTM up on the shelves for so long. I have packed and unpacked them so many times in the last two weeks,(whew!) now I just try and keep them nearby for reference. Gotta get my glasses checked also.

I was just thinking...somewhere out there are at least 3 sets of hardbound DTM comicbooks.

Every year the publisher would bound up all the books for that year and send them to

Hank, Fred Toole, my father, and ....maybe the publisher has a set???

I am pretty sure Fred's set went to someone in his wife's family.

Hanks estate may still have thiers.

I have no idea where my fathers set ended up.

Kinda like a Grail search huh?

At least my small fingerprints are in the AW set.

JRW

When I interviewed her before she passed away, Molly Toole told me that Fred's bound Dennis comic set was going to her nephew.

I'd love to see a set of those. I'd love to own a set of those!

Bill A.

I gotta tell you guys that I am so impressed with this thread!!! I like Dennis when I was a kid in th eeraly 60s, especially those loooong summer annual vacation issues. But when this thread appeared, I had no inkling it would become such a hotbed of activity for so long!!

BRAVO!