• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,456 posts in this topic

Here is an excerpt from the seller's description:

"Made by Pressman in the early 1950's is the extremely rare Dennis The Menace "DENTIST SET" Playset. Comes with everything you see and that includes the Instruction Booklet. Dennis's friend Tommy is your patient and you can actually open Tommy's mouth to work on his teeth. Tommy's head is composition and has fairly heavy crazing but is intact..." I assume he meant "glazing" instead of "crazing"???

1024788-dentist3.jpg

1024788-dentist3.jpg.a49d32221e979da2201fceb6fd488f21.jpg

Well, I keep hoping to see an Ultimate Dennis the Menace vs. Wolverine. A man has gotta dream!!!!

Actually, crazing is the correct term. It refers to the cracking on hard coated Items as ceremics glaze and plastic coated items. Interesting piece of Dennis the Menace memorabilia.

I can remember singing this one when it came out. I was just the right age, 4 1/2.

In my mind, Clooneys voice was the voice of Alice Mitchell.

JRW

Performer Rosemary Clooney

Title Dennis, the menace

Lyrictext:

Dennis, the menace, he's a bundle of dynamite

Oh, the things he says and the things he does

Will make you shake with fright

(Beware of) Dennis the menace

Oh, you'd better be on your toes

There is bound to be a calamity no matter where he goes

His mom and dad get nervous

Whenever he's too quiet

They never know what will happen next

A cyclone, flood or riot

Dennis the menace, though he makes your hair turn gray

When he looks at you with those eyes of blue

He'll steal your hear away

Last night I got a spanking

I don't know what to think

'Cause all I did was fill my water pistol full of ink

Now I ask you did mommy have to yell at me like that

Just because I watered all those flowers on her hat

My daddy love to ride in planes

'Way high up in the sky

He didn't see my roller skates

And oh boy, did he fly

We were playing train with daddy's chair

Me and another kid

My daddy said, "now, break it up"

So that's just what we did

Repeat 1st verse

Edited by Wiseguy

In 1961 No. 9, Summer, Dennis appeared in a vacation special "Dennis the Menace goes to camp." In the comic, Dennis attended Kennolyn Camp. This was the actual camp that Dennis Ketcham had attended in 1956. Kennolyn is still a thriving camp today and in 2005, to celebrate our 60th summer, we reprinted the comic book. If anyone is interested in a copy, you can e-mail me at andrew@kennolyn.com and we would be happy to mail you one at no charge.-Andrew Townsend

Edited by Kennolyn Camp

Thanks Andrew,

Well, I also had a chance to go to Kennolyn Camp.

I guess it was around ' 61.

I spent two fun weeks there, doing everything you could do. Swimming, horseback riding

archery, rifle range, arts and crafts.

As I recall, I had a good time.

AW was there for a day to observe, then left and came back in 2 weeks to pick me up.

I never knew Dennis Ketchum had gone there.

Glad to see the camp is still going strong.

JRW

Dennis Giant #9, from Summer 1961:

731795-giant9.jpg

Andrew, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS, and thanks for sharing! I visited your camp's website and found this bit of info interesting:

"In the 1950s, Hank Ketchum, creater of Dennis the Menace, sent his son to Kennolyn Camps. His son, also named Dennis, did not want to attract any extra attention to himself and demanded being called Denny. Soon after his stay at Kennolyn, Hank created a "Dennis the Menace Goes to Camp" series in 1961. Uncle Max and Aunt Marion are, of course, some of the many characters. Dennis goes on Outpost, does his chores, and tries his hand at the many activities. More than 30 years later, we re-printed this entire collection in one complete authentic comic book. Contact our office at 831-479-6714 or camps@kennolyn.com with your mailing address and we will gladly mail you a copy of this fun keepsake!"

I can remember singing this one when it came out. I was just the right age, 4 1/2.

In my mind, Clooneys voice was the voice of Alice Mitchell.

JRW

Performer Rosemary Clooney

Title Dennis, the menace

Lyrictext:

Dennis, the menace, he's a bundle of dynamite

Oh, the things he says and the things he does

Will make you shake with fright

(Beware of) Dennis the menace

Oh, you'd better be on your toes

There is bound to be a calamity no matter where he goes

His mom and dad get nervous

Whenever he's too quiet

They never know what will happen next

A cyclone, flood or riot

Dennis the menace, though he makes your hair turn gray

When he looks at you with those eyes of blue

He'll steal your hear away

Last night I got a spanking

I don't know what to think

'Cause all I did was fill my water pistol full of ink

Now I ask you did mommy have to yell at me like that

Just because I watered all those flowers on her hat

My daddy love to ride in planes

'Way high up in the sky

He didn't see my roller skates

And oh boy, did he fly

We were playing train with daddy's chair

Me and another kid

My daddy said, "now, break it up"

So that's just what we did

Repeat 1st verse

JRW, the words you quoted are by Al Hoffman and Manning. Below is the sheet music to it. Music itself is copyrighted 1952, and the recording is 1953. The music is published by Santly-Joy, Inc. I have never heard it myself as I haven't had a record player since the 1980s. Seems a shame since I have all these records! foreheadslap.gif

995179-1952music.jpg

Just to keep you up-to-date on our progress of getting the GCD updated with all the Dennis comics:

Several "new" titles have been added in the past couple weeks. I think all the regular series are now in (even Complete DTM), leaving only the promos to be added (and they have been passed on to the editors), plus the rest of the paperbacks (that Ray and Joe listed above). Cover scans have been added for many issues. I'm still working on scaning the rest of my Bonus Magazine Series and all of the Pocket Full of Fun covers; I'll hopefully finish scanning them over Christmas. There are other corrections that have been submitted but not updated yet (like needing two #95s and no #96 for Bonus Magazine Series).

Check out here:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=...p;Submit=Search

Just to keep you up-to-date on our progress of getting the GCD updated with all the Dennis comics:

Several "new" titles have been added in the past couple weeks. I think all the regular series are now in (even Complete DTM), leaving only the promos to be added (and they have been passed on to the editors), plus the rest of the paperbacks (that Ray and Joe listed above). Cover scans have been added for many issues. I'm still working on scaning the rest of my Bonus Magazine Series and all of the Pocket Full of Fun covers; I'll hopefully finish scanning them over Christmas. There are other corrections that have been submitted but not updated yet (like needing two #95s and no #96 for Bonus Magazine Series).

Check out here:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=...p;Submit=Search

Great job on this, Allen! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was working on the giants back during the summer - up to #40 - and never got back to it. It was letting me scan the covers but not add info about the books, which, as you know, I've already indexed.

I see you need scans of Dennis 142 and 143 and some giants, so maybe this weekend I will scan those in. I also noticed you still need the Friends 24 and 43, so I'll be glad to put those in as well. They are in a box that's not easy to get to right now, so I was hoping someone else would do it. Once Christmas is over I should easily have the time to help out more and maybe get all the covers scanned. This is a great project and well worth the time put into it.

By the way...Where exactly is there a place to enter the Dennis paperback cartoon compilations and hardbacks? I see a few there but not all of them.

The GCD has several levels of authority to add information. Only a handful of people are authorized to create new series. A few more people can edit existing entries and approve pending indexes. Indexers (of which I am one) can reserve and index any book that isn't already indexed or reserved by anyone else (final approval by an editor is required). And anyone with Internet access can submit a missing cover scan. The entire GCD is a volunteer effort.

Anyone can apply to be an indexer by following the directions on this page: http://www.comics.org/docs/reserved.html . Note that it could take a while to be approved (they actually lost my first attempt).

If you want to follow discussions about comics indexing at the GCD, you can join the "main" list from this URL: http://lists.comics.org/mailman/listinfo/cdbl . There, you can read the archives and follow all the recent discussions we've had on Dennis comics, including the publishers of them.

Most of the Dennis paperbacks are not yet on GCD, probably just due to the sheer volume of them. Ray, who is at least an editor, obviously has the details already, as he showed above. The cartoon compilations are allowed, per the definition of "comic book" that the site has.

Most of the Dennis books currently are reserved to be indexed; the only ones that aren't at the moment are Complete DTM and Very Best of DTM (Hallden/CBS).

Hi All,

JRW here, posting from the Netherlands on my wifes pc.

Unfortunately, I can't remember my forum log-in info to access my JRW mail.

Someone sent me a message, so whoever sent it, sorry.

I sent a message to the mods, so soon as I get the info I will read my mail.

I hope everyone is safe and warm.

All the best

JRW

I received my copy yesterday. It's 52 pages, and "Copyright 2005 used by permission of Hank Ketcham Enterprises, Inc." I haven't compared it to the original yet, but the only new content appears to be new captions for the photos on the inside covers, plus a new crossword puzzle on the back cover. The cover is from a later 1966 reprint (I haven't looked up the number).

I thank Andrew for making this available to us (gee, they spent $1.52 in postage to mail it to me)! For those of us who probably have little chance of making use of Kennolyn Camp, I strongly suggest making a donation to their "Send a kid to camp" foundation: http://www.caldwellfoundation.org/ .

1036554-DMGoesCampSmall.jpg

1036554-DMGoesCampSmall.jpg.add1e0efe16096483bada4baff484c47.jpg

I got a chance to compare this to the original issues (Giant #9 and Giant #39).

The caption for the photos says "These pictures show what the camp was like then", which may be true, but they are not reprinted from the original photos; they are new to this printing.

The stories are all the Dennis stories from #9. Missing are the activity pages, the Mark Trail feature, and Dennis' letter from camp (not a story per se), and the very last page of the last story. There was one other change made to the last story; the words to the song that everyone sings in the circle were changed to be specific to Kennolyn; "You all belong to Kennolyn and Kennolyn belongs to you...". The cover is from Giant #39, although the Comics Code Authority stamp was shrunk.

Reading through this again, I'm amazed at how much reality was shown in the stories in the original printing. Not only was Kennolyn mentioned by name several places (including the first page and on the side of the van crammed full of kids), but Uncle Max Caldwell and Aunt Marion are specifically named. The flyer that the camp also sent to me says that those two founded the camp in 1946, and has a picture of them in that year that resembles Al Wiseman's drawings. For all we know, Jerry Banks (Dennis' counsellor) was a real person too.

It's nice to look through a brand new printing of a Dennis comic book; no yellowing pages, modern printing, etc. Is this the first printing of a Dennis comic since the Marvel series ended in 1982?