• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is a NM 9.4??

26 posts in this topic

Check out this CGC 9.4 Baby Huey #1 at Heritage and tell me if you think a modern book with this kind of spine and cover wear would grade a 9.4?

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/viewlot.asp?s=804&l=8273&zoom=1&SID=3AD5979750EC419EAECFA397751ADE96

I've benefitted from CGC's inconsistent grading sometimes as well, but I really do wish that they graded Silver and Golden Age books the same way they grade modern ones. I think it definitley hurts their credibility a bit. I'm thrilled that CGC exists and I'm not trying to dump on them, but the truth is the truth.

Spine looks pretty tight to me…BRC and middle back cover have some problems however.

I agree. I see one spine crease but overall the spine looks fine (hey! I'm a double-entedre poet!)

That bit at the bottom corner - looks like a whack. Don't give me no flack! (ditto)

Hmmm - I posted a few scans of my Jungle type books - got a ton of views and only 1 reply on grade. Maybe I will pick the best of my Jungle/Jumbo/Sheena type books and submit them. They may come out the highest graded cause not a lot have been! And that's no sin (ditto ditto bo ditto banna fanna fo ditto).

OK - I shall stop now. Not sure how.

Yeah, and the ULC

And the ding and creases at the center of the top edge, etc.

As a modern book, I bet not even an 8.0.

I'd guess this, especially the last flaw, is an example of post grading damage to a book while being slabbed. I had one dealer swear to me a couple of years ago that he sent in a book, it received a grade in the mid 9's, but somehow in being handled after grading, the back cover was accidentally sliced by a plastic edge (he guessed) and still encapsulated with the same grade. From what I was told, he and CGC eventually worked out some sort of compensation. Given the shear numbers of books being handled, I'd imagine some small percentage of a percentage are bound to be damaged in repeated handling. I just can't believe the GA/Modern discrepancy is this bad. Or can I.

Yeah, probably. My conspiracy theory above was just an attempt to try to explain the massive discrepancy between the grade assigned and the books actual condition. I just can't imagine an experience grader giving this a 9.4 and this was the only possible explanation I could come up with, no matter how implausible.

Pretty egregious error.

paul