• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SURF'S-UP!!!!: A WONDERCON (SOME-WHAT) REPORT

76 posts in this topic

screwy.gif
Love ya too Rick! flowerred.gif
cloud9.gif We are going to have some fun in SD this year. headbang.gif
Well..hopefully the dinner is better. Steve says that he is trying to look for a restaurant so we could rent a room. Then, hopefully, some more big wigs would show up for them! headbang.gif
Yeah last year was a little rough for conversation.

What ?,......No "Emoticons ?!?

acclaim.gif

Get lost...troll! poke2.gif

That's "Mr. Troll" to you !

We need some BSDs attending for once! poke2.gif
You want JE to attend? or maybe TB?

Both in attendance tonight thumbsup2.gif Along with the cream of the board, their SO's insane.gifand the CGC gang - a great time hade by all!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

sith9jg.jpg

meow8lx.jpg

At least you weren't acting the part of geek fool with the chick. Smart move... poke2.gif

Jim

Thats Nikos?

I allways pictured him older

No, that's me at last year's MegaCon. I'm the one in the Darth Vader and CatWoman suit. I like to change it up everyday. mfemoticonpsychoticbacca7mw.gif

I went on Saturday. Not too crowded. I was disappointed in how few old comic dealers were there. Harley was probably the biggest person at the show followed by Terry's then A-1. Robert B was also there with some nice stuff. I didn't find any bargins. Harley had a book I was interested in, but it looked like it had some work done to it so I passed. Lots of high priced mid-grade silver, some unreal priced higher grade silver and bronze. Not too much Golden-age. Horror was real expensive. I saw a decapitation cover, girl going down the manhole cover (can't recall the title, but not the EC one, $1k with restoration!). Saw a few low grade ECs with high grade prices ($300 to $800 for numbers in the middle of the run). I walked out with two books ($20 total) and one page of artwork. There were TONs of new toys, some new card dealers, misc comic realated book dealers, etc. A little CGC stuff but not too much. All in all, pretty bad from a buying perspective, but I still had fun.

Please someone, tell me about a good buying experience.

I saw a decapitation cover, girl going down the manhole cover (can't recall the title, but not the EC one, $1k with restoration!).

Probably Fight Against Crime #20. That price is outrageous, especially for a restored copy.

I went to the grocery store this morning to get some sausage for breakfast and it was on sale.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you go to the forum dinner last night? I got a late night voicemail from a suspectedly drunken FFB at the dinner with the gang shouting out in the background. All I could make out was someone yelling "Pre-Hero Marvels Rule!".... acclaim.gif

I am seriously bummed I had to cancel at the last minute, even if the pickin's were slim at the show. FFB did call me Friday about some pre-hero books that Harley had (but alas, nothing I needed), and it sounded like there was little else there that would've gotten me to pull my wallet out.

Hopefully when the gang sobers up this morning we'll get a full report on the dinner along with the incriminating blackmail photos of the CGC staff.

9.8's for everyone!!

headbang.gif

I went to the grocery store this morning to get some sausage for breakfast and it was on sale.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Shouldn't you post this in the "HEY!!! OCTOBERFIRE" thread? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Did you go to the forum dinner last night? I got a late night voicemail from a suspectedly drunken FFB at the dinner with the gang shouting out in the background. All I could make out was someone yelling "Pre-Hero Marvels Rule!"....

They must have been going through Scott's phone book, as I got a similar call. Bastiches woke me up! 893censored-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Alan

Shouldn't you post this in the "HEY!!! OCTOBERFIRE" thread? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Good point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll be sure to add in all the other details too. thumbsup2.gif

poke2.gif

Good point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll be sure to add in all the other details too. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

"Please someone, tell me about a good buying experience."

3 Beautiful Green River copies of Thor from Shin smile.gif

1 Green River JIM from Harley who knocked off an extra $25 (this may not seem like alot, but it is difficult to move Harley of his price)

1 Oakland and 1 Northland Thor pedigree copies from Rob Hughes thumbsup2.gif

The Thor pedigree acquisition train rolls on.

"Please someone, tell me about a good buying experience."

3 Beautiful Green River copies of Thor from Shin smile.gif

1 Green River JIM from Harley who knocked off an extra $25 (this may not seem like alot, but it is difficult to move Harley of his price)

1 Oakland and 1 Northland Thor pedigree copies from Rob Hughes thumbsup2.gif

The Thor pedigree acquisition train rolls on.

Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What issues? Got scans?

Presently too hung over from the forum dinner.... Post a full report tonight. Though alot of dealers I talked too were very happy with business at the Con. The floor was PACKED on Saturday, pretty sure I was still sober when this was going on. headbang.gif

Ya got that right...$25 off sticker for a GR from Mr. Yee is indeed a small victory.

Well done.. thumbsup2.gif

And as Rhino asked.. what GR books did ya land?... gossip.gif Make sure ya send Redhook scans for his website.

Ze-

Really busy con. DC high grade bronze is getting at little harder to find these days.

You really have to open those bags to see the grade on em, more often than not the grading is off.

Keys from the new Batman movie were super hot.

Bronze books missing from the runs above VF were BB93, early horror

Swamp Things, Supermans, can still be found in HG raw.

Books noticably picked out of the runs:

Bats 222, 227, 238, (Super tough books, but 237's can be found)

Aquaman 56 (Always seemed to be picked out... frustrated.gif )

Star Spangled 144 (Nothing above VF)

Tomahawk 116, (None above F)

Unexpected 118 (None above F)

Challengers 72 (None above F)

Wierd War 64, 72, (93) First Creature Commandos In fact lots of WWars are hot

WW 199 (None above VF)

'HG HOM around 260-285

I'll report more a little later....