• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fourth Known Copy of Super Rare Batman 457 Second Print Newsstand Edition found

23 posts in this topic

For years this book was considered to be an urban legend. All you have to do is Google it and see all the past discussions on it over the years. Then someone found one and posted a pic of one back in 2007 to confirm that it was out there. There is also a Youtube video (

) that explains all the variants of this book. As far as how many of these books are out there, so far there has been just 4 confirmed copies found over the years. Two were on ebay (the last one a couple of days ago on ebay for a shocking $15) several years apart. Some people have searched for this thing for years. I wonder how many people don't know this book exist. Insane that someone didn't know what they had and sold this book so cheap. But its hard to gage what the price should be on this book. Happy hunting.

Looking at eBay, there are at least 5 or 6 of these up for sale right now, around the $15-$25 mark.

I'm sure those are the direct market with the bat symbol in the box instead of the barcode. Look for "New Robin" banner on top and the bar code.

They're out there. Yes, it's a second print, and yes, it's a newsstand....but DC certainly printed tens of thousands of copies, and the book was a very hot commodity at the time. I suspect they're just hiding, rather than the entire run aside from a handful of examples were scrapped.

They're out there. Yes, it's a second print, and yes, it's a newsstand....but DC certainly printed tens of thousands of copies, and the book was a very hot commodity at the time. I suspect they're just hiding, rather than the entire run aside from a handful of examples were scrapped.

That's how I originally felt, but after spending a year searching eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and flea markets I'm convinced otherwise. I suspect the reason lies in a line from the article I linked above, it reads "unsold books would have the first cover ripped off and returned to the publisher."

That's how I originally felt, but after spending a year searching eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and flea markets I'm convinced otherwise. I suspect the reason lies in a line from the article I linked above, it reads "unsold books would have the first cover ripped off and returned to the publisher."

Yes, but by 1990, this was essentially an affidavit issue; probably most newsstand books were no longer destroyed, and even if they were, it was usually just the title and logo box.

As this book was a very hot book when it came out, it's likely that these were bought and are sitting in various collections, waiting to be discovered.