• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those beating the DC drums...

36 posts in this topic

Never said that but the numbers are pretty hard to ignore or discount especially when all I have been hearing for months is how DC has taken over. If I used your statement 6 months ago in Marvel's defense I would have been laughed off these boards. I let the pro DC bunch have their day in the sun never discounted what they have accomplished even though it was annoying and repeative (hey I'm a Marvel fan what can I say) topic lately, so when I saw these latest figures and the title of this thread I just had to laugh.

ACTUALLY it's very easy to ignore and discount January's sales in the overall pattern because DC didn't bring any of it's heavy-hitters out to play that month.

As I said before, without an issue of Superman/Batman, Jim Lee's Superman or Green Lantern: Rebirth published that month, all of DC's usual top of the chart representation was gone so it's no surprise that the sales chart looks the way it does. The other DC books are pretty much where they usually fall on the chart.

To claim January as a victory is like claiming you are the best when you played your best (performing) line of players (with one injury - Astonishing) against the other guy's second-best performing line. Sure, it still counts as a win, but you know if the other guy's big players had shown up for the game it would have been a lot more of a challenge.

Are those actual sales or books retailers will be eating?

Those are books retailers will be eating.

There is no such thing as an accurate counter sales chart in the comics industry.

Unless someone has time to develop a cheap and reliable "comicscan" software service?

Is this your way of making excuses for DC because they don't have as strong a character base as Marvel (never did) then I agree.

Yup. Those DC characters like Superman and Batman are pure ephemera, flash in the pan, familiar only to the hardcore fanboys characters.

To claim January as a victory is like claiming you are the best when you played your best (performing) line of players (with one injury - Astonishing) against the other guy's second-best performing line. Sure, it still counts as a win, but you know if the other guy's had shown up for the game it would have been a lot more of a challenge.

Excellent analogy! thumbsup2.gif

While I am a lifetime Marvel guy who is warming more and more to DC, I do have some concerns with X-Men and Ultimate titles dominating the list each month.

However, if I was DC I would also be concerned that I couldn't consistently beat rehashed plots and X-Men retreads... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is this your way of making excuses for DC because they don't have as strong a character base as Marvel (never did) then I agree.

Yup. Those DC characters like Superman and Batman are pure ephemera, flash in the pan, familiar only to the hardcore fanboys characters.

Try and read what I wrote instead of focusing on two words and twisting it around. makepoint.gif Sure there is Superman and Batman but beyond that the drop off is big. Marvel's character base on the other hand is much deeper and that is why when they talk about the SA of comics they are really referring to Marvel and the embarrassment of riches that was created by Jack and Stan. If you want to go down the list and compare characters go ahead but I suspect you will be running to the OS guide to find names of DC guys after listing only 4 or 5. Arguably the hottest series is anything to do with the X-Men and the current day version that is so popular was created in the BA. Don't discount it just enjoy. Didn't intend to make this a flame war but its time for us Marvel fans to beat the drum. DC's moment in the sun was brief.

Try and read what I wrote instead of focusing on two words and twisting it around. makepoint.gif Sure there is Superman and Batman but beyond that the drop off is big. Marvel's character base on the other hand is much deeper and that is why when they talk about the SA of comics they are really referring to Marvel and the embarrassment of riches that was created by Jack and Stan. If you want to go down the list and compare characters go ahead but I suspect you will be running to the OS guide to find names of DC guys after listing only 4 or 5. Arguably the hottest series is anything to do with the X-Men and the current day version that is so popular was created in the BA. Don't discount it just enjoy. Didn't intend to make this a flame war but its time for us Marvel fans to beat the drum. DC's moment in the sun was brief.

Did you read what Kevin Boyd wrote or not? poke2.gif

zombiecity.gif

...must buy more x-men comics....

Hey, where did you get that pic of me?

I'm within 10 of having a 136 to current run of the Uncanny X-Men. I've now read 138 thru 210 and 395 thru current.

The early ones will make me an X-Men zombie, I have no doubt!!

zombiecity.gif

...must buy more x-men comics....

proud zombie here....

can't help it...i like them...ok....what i'm reading now is kinda weak and thrown all over the place....and i can't bring myself to read x-force again...but i'm hoping that a return of a return to greatness is nearing....

while i'm waiting, i have my green lantern.

Would you have bought it if it was any good?

Obviously, whoever is ordering (and let's remember these are books ordered by comic shops not actual sales) this turd felt that it was going to sell. They probably thought that Pat Lee on X-Men was a home run.

Instead they got a half-done, rushed job by a studio that had a lot of troubles. It should have been cancelled by Marvel editorial when the pages started coming in. Obviously the need for green influenced their decision to release it as is and give retailers fodder for their quarter bins.

I'm enjoying XM/FF. I think it's a decent story.

Are those actual sales or books retailers will be eating?

Those are books retailers will be eating.

There is no such thing as an accurate counter sales chart in the comics industry.

Unless someone has time to develop a cheap and reliable "comicscan" software service?

That doesn't stop DC from always proclaiming that their issues sell-out.

And to be fair...Marvel has jumped on that bandwagon by announcing New Avengers #1 and Black Panther #1 sold out and gone back to printing. With new covers to boot... frustrated.gif

Jim

And to be fair...Marvel has jumped on that bandwagon by announcing New Avengers #1 and Black Panther #1 sold out and gone back to printing. With new covers to boot... frustrated.gif

Jim

Cool, new covers. I am sooo buying these. I didn't buy the first Black Panther #1, so I am sure to pick up the 2nd printing.

MARVEL RULES!!