• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM Annual #1 Canadian Edition Club & Discussion Thread

73 posts in this topic

Grabbed a third Canadian copy last week, just getting around to posting it. This one is restored, but still, one of only 23 total copies on the census. :grin:

Anyone else have pictures of their copies to share?

VmuIgSH.jpg

Anyone have marvel tales 1 Canadian version?

I would also be fascinated to hear if anyone has a copy. I just discovered that there is only 1 Marvel Tales #1 Canadian Edition on the census! :o

Great Thread! I am not surprised that these books bring a premium in some cases. There are generally fewer people hunting them, but they are also extremely scarce and its all about supply vs demand on price. I am not sure i see them greater or lesser than pence. I think both are under appreciated. I myself collect Mexican published Marvels and DC SA. Prices are all over the place for foreigns. Reminds me of the 70s/80s. Having money isnt enough in the foreign game, you need a network and often language skills or resources/ tools to data mine etc to find books. They also tend to be difficult to find in grade because again, they are very scarce to start with. It takes collecting to an entirely new level. Canadian and Pence are great and just scratch the surface to the undiscovered world of Foreigns.

So, am I hearing through this thread that Canadian editions go for more than US editions, and pence copies go for less? I'm not sure I understand why? Is it because the Canadian editions still show a "$" on the front cover?

BTW, I love the blank back covers. If I owned a canadian variant I would definitely try to get a sketch on it.

It is interesting. I have sold some key books that were pence copies, such as a copy of X-Men #1, and it sold for considerably less than the U.S. edition. Yet I have seen several Canadian annuals command a premium. But as to why, I don't know for sure. I do think changing the price on the front cover matters. The Canadian editions look no different on the front, only the ads were removed inside and on back. And I do believe they are more rare.

I would also be fascinated to hear if anyone has a copy. I just discovered that there is only 1 Marvel Tales #1 Canadian Edition on the census! :o

I have one,but take me ages to find it.there is a small show next week,i think a friend may still have a copy for sale.will let you know.

It is interesting. I have sold some key books that were pence copies, such as a copy of X-Men #1, and it sold for considerably less than the U.S. edition. Yet I have seen several Canadian annuals command a premium. But as to why, I don't know for sure. I do think changing the price on the front cover matters. The Canadian editions look no different on the front, only the ads were removed inside and on back. And I do believe they are more rare.

It is simple - Canad rulz, the UK droolz...... lol

I have one,but take me ages to find it.there is a small show next week,i think a friend may still have a copy for sale.will let you know.

:takeit:

For real, let me know!

As with any foreign edition, I think it's nice to have in addition to the original edition, rather than in lieu of. Since it's a key, I'd price this out the same as you would a pence copy. For any other Canadian Marvel annual, I'd be more inclined to go at half value.

I believe the key to its value is really about the timing of the book's publication.

If it is published and on sale at the same time as it's American original counterpart, then I see this as a lower print variant which could have higher potential value in the same vain as the more popular $0.30 and $0.35 Marvel variants.

If it is published and on sale after it's American original counterpart, then I would place it in the same vain as a pence copy with significantly lower relative resale value.

I believe the Canadian marvel annuals were on sale at the same time as their original American counterparts. hm

As with any foreign edition, I think it's nice to have in addition to the original edition, rather than in lieu of. Since it's a key, I'd price this out the same as you would a pence copy. For any other Canadian Marvel annual, I'd be more inclined to go at half value.

I believe the key to its value is really about the timing of the book's publication.

If it is published and on sale at the same time as it's American original counterpart, then I see this as a lower print variant which could have higher potential value in the same vain as the more popular $0.30 and $0.35 Marvel variants.

If it is published and on sale after it's American original counterpart, then I would place it in the same vain as a pence copy with significantly lower relative resale value.

I believe the Canadian marvel annuals were on sale at the same time as their original American counterparts. hm

The cent, pence, and canadians were all published at the same time, right? But since since the pence copies had to travel across the ocean they must have had at least a one month lag time for when they were sold.

Pence are pretty scarce, especially in high grade. Are canadians way more scarce?