• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is wrong at DC Comics...

45 posts in this topic

Agreed on the comics. And full disclosure i only 'casually' read new releases but keep in the loop through various issue synopsis sites.

The first sign was the removal of Superman's iconic shorts (i have gripped about this in numerous 'blogs', but seem to get no 'back up' on this) lol Doesn't anyone else feel the changing of an over 70 year plus iconic 'image' for potential points in 'cool' is just wrong? That some things should be left 'untouched' with only the 'modest' of tweaks? This to me would be like going into my local supermarket and seeing Coke had changed their bottles to blue from red. (though i feel it looks 'okay' in the current DC movies, even after years of it being established in the 'New 52' every time i see Superman now, he just looks 'incomplete'.)

All this new multiverse stuff every few years(or months!!)is just crazy.

As for BvS, i think this will do gangbusters, and that if it delivers, it will be the new superhero movie all time box office champ. You can throw together any combination of superheros you want, you will find no bigger pairing for a movie reaching mass audiences (fan boys and non fan boys alike)that could drum up interest to go out and see. They are the two biggest of all times. If it's good, they will prove and solidify that with the haul it will take in. Having the most popular female super hero of all time making her big screen bow in it too just seals the deal!

I am usually very resistant against change, but when it comes to costumes, I am more flexible. I wouldn't expect a superhero to keep the same costume forever, and lets be honest, that red underwear just doesnt translate very well to the modern world.

Bugs Bunny has been one of my favorite characters since a small toddler, and look how much he has changed in your very own sigline! :D

arrggh! You used Bugs...you got me! lol

You have a valid point. And maybe most of my feelings are just something I was always used to changing :preach: , and I can accept that. After I posted my comments I did some web surfing and came across a piece where Snyder says he tried to make the shorts work, but felt he couldn't so ditched them. Like I said, it looks okay in the movie. Maybe it's the overall comic change ( high neck line, armor like look, red 'cuffs', ) I don't know, maybe over kill?( to me). But again, in the end, you're right: I certainly prefer Bugs more defined look than the earlier two in my sig line, and imagine if Warners felt like I feel then and left him that way? :facepalm:

I don't follow all the new releases as closely as many of you, but I do follow the #s (i.e. Comichron) and I am left wondering... How much longer before a regime change is in order at DC? Didio, or Jim Lee, or both?

They have great characters, but seems to be in an unsustainable nose dive.

Also, I don't see the new B vs. S movie doing them any favors. Very dark.

I am always interested in what the diehard fans, readers and collectors think.

So, what is the scuttlebutt?

I consider myself a life-long 'diehard' DC fan. And if I thought DC had something worth reading I would.

My opinion is DC dumped its "core" in favor of marketing to every pop sub-niche it can identify. "There's a Universe for that " seems to be the current motto and any character is available for adaptation. Followed up with all the accompanying chotchkies, toys, statues and variant covers you could shake a wallet at.

So I miss Superman and DCU stories, true, but I have 70 years of material to fall back on. And someday that Nehru collared unitard will end up on DC's massive crapheap of short-gain shiny ideas.

You can use the exact same sentiment and replace DC with the word Marvel:

"My opinion is Marvel dumped its "core" in favor of marketing to every pop sub-niche it can identify. "There's a Universe for that " seems to be the current motto and any character is available for adaptation. Followed up with all the accompanying chotchkies, toys, statues and variant covers you could shake a wallet at."

I wasn't thrilled when I saw what DC was planning to do post-Convergence, but I gave it a try and actually I like this new turn. I'm not sure if things will remain this way for long but it does seem to be a fresh start.

I really liked the JLA relaunch and surprisingly, I thought the Starfire and Harley Quinn / Power Girl books by Amanda Conner were fun reads as well. I haven't read all of the books that I've picked up but the Green Lantern Lost Army issue seemed pretty interesting!

This video that I found goes through all the new June / July issues... she tries to give a short (albeit maybe a little nervous) synopsis of each but I think she breaks them down pretty well.

Wonder Woman is getting a invisible V@*!*A jet! :whee:

http://nerdist.com/grant-morrison-heavy-metal-wonder-woman-earth-one-comic-con-2015/

Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane is now shaped like a *spoon*, it's the most incredible thing. It opens up in the back and it has a little clitoris hood, everything is a female-based design. It's all based on shells and natural stuff.

Holy Drokk! Clitoris isn't *spooned* by the boards? :roflmao:

I haven't bought a new issue off the stands in years, I'm late to the New 52 party also. I just now got around to the Batman Court of Owls saga - awesome! I'm also wanting to start the New 52 Action Comics run from Morrison. I have no idea what Convergence is or what re-boot is going on at DC currently. Honestly, I'm indifferent now to the whole Superhero movie hype, I wasn't even phased by the new Superman V Batman trailer... I probably give it a chance, but, seeing the trailer did not change my life. Reading these threads, I can't tell if there are any new ideas at DC, or Marvel for that matter. Is it just me, or is it that every time I go to my LCS, I see either some sort of "Crisis" or "Secret Wars" over and over again in the new arrivals? (shrug)

I don't follow all the new releases as closely as many of you, but I do follow the #s (i.e. Comichron) and I am left wondering... How much longer before a regime change is in order at DC? Didio, or Jim Lee, or both?

I consider myself a life-long 'diehard' DC fan. And if I thought DC had something worth reading I would.

My opinion is DC dumped its "core" in favor of marketing to every pop sub-niche it can identify. "There's a Universe for that " seems to be the current motto and any character is available for adaptation. Followed up with all the accompanying chotchkies, toys, statues and variant covers you could shake a wallet at.

So I miss Superman and DCU stories, true, but I have 70 years of material to fall back on. And someday that Nehru collared unitard will end up on DC's massive crapheap of short-gain shiny ideas.

Well, Action Comics is starting to blow up on net newsfeeds.

No one can convince me DC Comics doesn't hate their flagship character. It's disgusting just how far they'll go to twist an icon into momentary tweet-fodder BS. :facepalm: Shameful to the Nth degree.

police7.png

Well, Action Comics is starting to blow up on the net newsfeeds.

No one can convince me DC Comics doesn't hate their flagship character. It's disgusting just how far they'll go to twist an icon into momentary tweet-fodder BS. :facepalm: Shameful to the Nth degree.

police7.png

Did you read the actual comic or are you just commenting on comments by other people that didn't read the comic? DC has take Superman back to his root, fighting corruption. I don't see DC hating their flagship character, but actually making him relevant to the world today.

police7.png

Did you read the actual comic or are you just commenting on comments by other people that didn't read the comic? DC has take Superman back to his root, fighting corruption. I don't see DC hating their flagship character, but actually making him relevant to the world today.

Read every disgusting panel. Which one is supposed to be "relevant"?

I thought it the most contrived, forced claptrap imaginable. Personally I prefer Superman inspirational over blog-bait.

firemem-9-11.jpg .

police7.png

I thought it the most contrived, forced claptrap imaginable. Personally I prefer Superman inspirational over blog-bait.

firemem-9-11.jpg .

I actually find that picture more contrived and forced :x Generation gap? (I'm a millennial.)

Well, Action Comics is starting to blow up on the net newsfeeds.

police7.png

Can someone fill me in on what happens in the story?

firemem-9-11.jpg .

I actually find that picture more contrived and forced :x Generation gap? (I'm a millennial.)

So you think deep admiration for high risk occupations in service to others is unrealistic?

You feel it's contrived and forced for Superman to be reacting the way he's depicted? Behavior so rare it's being forced by the artist, totally ridiculous compared to how normal people would usually react?

firemem-9-11.jpg .

So you think deep admiration for high risk occupations in service to others is unrealistic?

You feel it's contrived and forced for Superman to be reacting the way he's depicted? Behavior so rare it's being forced by the artist, totally ridiculous compared to how normal people would usually react?

That image is pandering . That it is pandering to you doesn't make it any better.

What is the context there?

Marvel has their stuff together. This reboot in October is going to be a MONSTER.

Stock up retailers - in sales, it's going to make the New 52 reboot look sick in comparison.

And outside of Deadpool I doubt that any of their latest and greatest relaunch books will be worth cover a year out, unlike the New 52 relaunch. Marvel just keeps tossing out crappy number 1s and their core fans keep lapping them up. I bought a bunch of the Marvel Now 1s but the All New X-Men story was the only one I read for 5 or 6 issues. The rest of them were bad, including Superior Spidey. I have not read the Kamala Ms. Marvel run (but I like flipping the copies I do get in) so I can't comment on that, but Deadpool is the only consistent back issue selling title of the bunch. ASM #4 (1st Silk) sells, but Silk #1 and Spider-Gwen #1 have both cooled significantly (I think the Spider-Gwen 15 minutes of fame is starting to run out and I still have a few #1s I would like to dump lol ).

Take away Star Wars and there really is not much going on with Marvel, which is too bad. The same can be said for the non-Batman titles with DC as well.

police7.png

firemem-9-11.jpg .

If it makes you feel any better this IS the new 52 Superman.

firemem-9-11.jpg .

+1

baa-911L.jpg

This is a great homage cover showing Alex Ross/DC's respect and admiration for real life heroes.

For it to be truly "contrived", Ross would have needed a time machine.