• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm new to comics, what should I read?

14 posts in this topic

Being as I'm the "comic nerd" among the people I know, I get this question from time to time from people who have been enjoying comic movies and want to dip their toes into reading comics. That gave me the idea for an article to write for my website www.NerdGoblin.com .

The article will be "Your first 5 comics", or something like that. Basically an article giving the newbie 5 comics (TPB's, Story Arcs) that they should pick up and read to get them introduced to comics (and hooked on comics).

I've got some ideas on my top 5 comics/tpbs/stories I'd suggest to a newbie, but I'd like to hear what you would suggest, and I may use your suggestions in the article. This article will be geared towards adults, so anything and everything is on the table, although I won't be suggesting X-Rated stuff like Faust to the newb.

Thanks for sharing you're thoughts.

BTW, I just had a glance at your site's comics section and I quite like it, Guy. (thumbs u

It will take me a while but I want to comment on your post about politics in comics. :)

That was written by CAHokie. I have 20 or so people writing on topics that include Movies, Games, Comics, TV and Books. Myself and 2 friends do a weekly Podcast as well. But thanks for the praise I'm glad you like the site.

BTW, I just had a glance at your site's comics section and I quite like it, Guy. (thumbs u

It will take me a while but I want to comment on your post about politics in comics. :)

That was written by CAHokie. I have 20 or so people writing on topics that include Movies, Games, Comics, TV and Books. Myself and 2 friends do a weekly Podcast as well. But thanks for the praise I'm glad you like the site.

Pretty nice: although an article just hinting to the question it pretty much nails down it to its essentials: which to me are that you shouldn't disguise mere ideas as art, especially when writing for mainstream publishers which are supposed to provide entertainment (not that they do not encourage it, in some cases, which is even more bad).

I've suggested it before in something similar - but it's that good and massively under rated:

Sleeper - Brubaker and Phillips

I would recommend this to all the cool kids. If they enjoy it, they can pick up the prequel - Point Blank.

Modern comics at their best!

Cool kids, heh?

So these are comics meant to pull in cool kids… Hmm.

For american comic books I would suggest Grant Morrison's WE3: I'm not a thorough fan of Morrison at all, but that was among his finest works in a long time.

And then, I can’t recommend enough this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aama-Volume-Smell-Warm-Dust/dp/1906838739

I have read just the first two episodes, that came out in italian now, but so far one of the best comics I have read in years.

Pretty nice: although an article just hinting to the question it pretty much nails down it to its essentials: which to me are that you shouldn't disguise mere ideas as art, especially when writing for mainstream publishers which are supposed to provide entertainment (not that they do not encourage it, in some cases, which is even more bad).

Glad you enjoyed it Claudio. I tried to keep it balanced since the site is not designed nor intended to be about politics.

From 70's Marvel I'd like to add:

Avengers "Korvac Saga" (159,167,168,170-177).

Captain America "Secret Empire" (169-176).

Both available in tpb. Other good reads from that era not mentioned are Tomb Of Dracula and Master Of Kung Fu, if you want something different from the tights & capes genre.