• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ComicLink experience....

4 posts in this topic

As there has been quite a bit of comment on various experiences with auction houses, I thought I would chime in with my overall experience of selling at auction. Bear in mind this comes from someone whose collection resides in England while I personally live in Moscow, Russia.

Late last year I wanted to renovate my home and I wanted to do it without borrowing money. I saw that ComicLink were going to have a presence at the London convention. So I contacted Josh Nathanson by email and he responded straight away and set me up with Douglas who was going to attend the show. I mentioned, that because I was coming in from Moscow without much time it might be difficult to meet up. He went out of his way to work to my timetable.

I consigned some 50 pieces but had some concerns with competing with pieces already in the May auction. We agreed on a split and every step of the way either Josh or Douglas kept in contact with me.

As it was a great rush we agreed that I would send some information regarding the pieces as soon as I could. Unfortunately this wasn’t quick enough with regard to the Arthur Adams/Tim Townsend Fantastic Four piece. I told Douglas originally it was unpublished but not that it was penciled by Arthur and then later inked by Tim. Tim wrote to them immediately to update the listing, which they did and then confirmed with me. It was totally my lack of speed that this happened.

Like every seller I hoped for some of the expensive pieces to take off and fly but while a few lower pieces did this the upper pieces all went for FMV with one piece I think selling for less than it was worth. Overall I hit my target so I was happy.

The accounts department of ComicLink contacted me a couple days after the auction ended and told me the final price and asked how I would like the money. It would be sent to me in one month’s time. It arrived exactly when they said it would.

Some people find the Heritage website to be easier to navigate and they have greater visibility and that the live auction part is better. Personally I don’t and I’m also not a fan of the 30%.

So that’s me. All in all I was happy and have no problems with how everything performed.

John

I agree that although the site can be improved upon, I would rather pay 10% commission. As a buyer, I've never been discouraged from bidding due to the site...it's certainly dated but it's functional and easy for me to follow auctions.

The new HA interface is taking me awhile to get used to. The pictures are kind of small, so it's taking me longer to browse thru the listings.

I really like CL. The Buyers premium and low rate just means higher returns on most pieces. HA is great for some stuff, but CL is completely its equal when you average out the pluses and minuses. Consigned to both now, would deal with both again happily.