• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA vs Real Life: What gives?

24 posts in this topic

One thing I find very useful about GPA is the data involving dates and the data involving number/frequency of sales. Many inferences can be gleaned there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I figured you already knew most of what I posted, but I did so anyway in the event there may be a lurker who might find my views useful.

..... I find 8.5 and 9.0 to be my sweet spot as well...... loads of eye appeal and often a comparative bargain.....

You're taking GPA outliers and trying to pin it as a value.

Taking a GPA low and calling that Fair Market Value when making an offer is no different than a seller taking a GPA high and calling it FMV. Neither is correct.

If a Detective #400 CGC 9.6 sold for $825 and meanwhile, CGC 9.4 copies are selling regularly in the $830 range do you really think that $825 is the FMV for a CGC 9.6?

You an have many reasons why you will have both low and high GPA outliers.

Low? You can have fugly looking books selling low because of poor eye appeal, poor page quality, auction ending at an usual hour, too many copies coming to market at once or someone just lists the book too cheap on eBay and someone hits the Buy It Now for a flip.

Consequently, you can also have many reasons why a copy might go high: Nobody has seen a copy for a while so bidders are desperate, shill bidding / manipulation, exemplary eye appeal or page quality, etc.

So don't look at one number and extrapolate. Try to get a feel for what the value is by looking at the bigger picture.

VERY WELL stated!

One thing I find very useful about GPA is the data involving dates and the data involving number/frequency of sales. Many inferences can be gleaned there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I figured you already knew most of what I posted, but I did so anyway in the event there may be a lurker who might find my views useful.

..... I find 8.5 and 9.0 to be my sweet spot as well...... loads of eye appeal and often a comparative bargain.....

Any poster, lurker or not, that doesn't find your posts insightful and well thought out really needs to examine themselves.

I learn so much from the long time members just by shutting up and reading.