• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay sellers that don't use the zoom function

22 posts in this topic

I don't understand this-isn't the zoom function automatic? Do you have to reset something so no zoom function is available for bidders? It always makes me suspicious when I can't zoom a book.

You mean with loaded thumbnail photos that you can't zoom in on in the listing header?

Zoom is automatic, but it only works on higher resolution photos. If someone uploads a 400x300 pixel photo, then the thumbnail (bigger than a thumbnail slightly actually) is the "zoomed in" size.

I usually load 1200x?+ photos so there is something to zoom in on

*EDIT* I should also add, that when I see a listing that is using low resolution (unzoomable <-if that's a word) photos, I pass. It tells me they loaded low rez specifically so buyer's can't see the spine ticks or creasing..

-Terry

You mean with loaded thumbnail photos that you can't zoom in on in the listing header?

Zoom is automatic, but it only works on higher resolution photos. If someone uploads a 400x300 pixel photo, then the thumbnail (bigger than a thumbnail slightly actually) is the "zoomed in" size.

I usually load 1200x?+ photos so there is something to zoom in on.

-Terry

Like this one-what's your take?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-30-strict-FN-VF-7-0-High-Grade-Tons-more-FFs-up-for-grabs-/391192649056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b14e61d60

Yep! That's unzoomable. Both of the thumbnail previews are full size as is. You're getting no more detail than what you see.

Even if you use your computer display's zoom function. I automatically say "no" to those listings that post super low rez pics....or I might email the seller and ask for high-res if I'm desperately seeking that cover.

If it's a comic dealer posting low rez, then you KNOW that they're hiding all kinds of sins. Like a girl I tried to get to go out with me just out of high school that used concealer by the gallon. Saw her once when didn't trowl any on, and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I ever talked to her.

-Terry

300 DPI is an okay scan if you are leaving a full size photo...300 DPI on a comic book that is 6" wide is 1800 pixels across the short side.

The problem is that people upload reduced photos that are 350x500 pixel (or smaller) photos, which are several orders of magnitude smaller than a full size scan at 300dpi.

-Terry

There has to be a thread on these boards about scanning. It's a bit confusing because we use numbers to define at least 3 separate qualities of a photo:

1) The scan quality (the DPI that you have your scanner set to when you make a digital file of the original).

2) The size of the file (Some sites limit you to certain kilobytes of photo size. for instance 100 or 200).

3) The size of the photo in dots per inch (which may not correlate directly to file size or the scanned size because of different file types and compression) which is varied by how you save the file.

They are all related to the size of the photo in some way, but they are all totally different. Not sure how to explain that clearly though.

Short explanation: Scanning 300 DPI (dots per inch) is fine. But when you start cropping, or enhancing and saving it as a specific file name do not resize it to a smaller size;. and you're golden.

Your 300 DPI scans work because you're probably not resizing when you save them.

-Terry

I don't understand this-isn't the zoom function automatic? Do you have to reset something so no zoom function is available for bidders? It always makes me suspicious when I can't zoom a book.

Maybe you need magnifying glass or possibly reading glasses.

:cool:

Most image hosting sites (including what eBay use, I guess) have an automatic "resize" function I guess, so uploading at enough resolution should downsize regardless to the optimal resolution.

I guess that if you avoid pretty high resolutions and/or sizes (they are directly proportional) you get optimal results by default.

If I can't zoom in and scrutinize the pic, then I just move on to the next listing

You mean if seller lists 'NM' you don't just go with that?

I usually load 1200x?+ photos so there is something to zoom in on.

-Terry

Like this one-what's your take?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-30-strict-FN-VF-7-0-High-Grade-Tons-more-FFs-up-for-grabs-/391192649056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b14e61d60

most likely trimmed on 2 sides - maybe slight on the top but if they trimmed that one to the full extent of the wrinkling, it would be very obvious even in the lo res scans.

Maybe you need magnifying glass or possibly reading glasses.

:cool:

I have downloaded a "virtual" magnifying glass" for looking at sorts of things online because I am old and cannot always see with my reading glasses.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier/

Not sure if I agree 100% on the trim, but this ebay "strict 7.0" looks like real world VG-.

Said that based more on the seller (can't see it in the image obviously) - but at least this time they actually mentioned it in the listing.