• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore Says Superheroes a 'cultural catastrophe',

128 posts in this topic

Not accepting checks is a very bold statement that shows his devotion to stand by his beliefs.

This is very easy to do when you're already a millionaire.

Let's see him try to do it on a regular Joe's salary and see how quick he is to make such a "bold statement."

How do you know he is a millionaire?

Well, we cannot judge people on hypothetical situations but only based on what they have actually done.

That's exactly what I am doing. It's easy to give up $30,000 checks when you already have millions. It's like all the kudos heaped on Dwyane Wade for "giving up millions" so that the Heat could sign LeBron and Bosh. He already was worth something like $75+ million. I could give up a few million if I had $75+ million in the bank.

Likewise for Moore. I'd be perfectly willing and able to "make a stand" and give up $50k when I already have millions in the bank. It's a total nerf-ball move, and it's complete junk to celebrate it.

Are you his bank manager?

Well, we cannot judge people on hypothetical situations but only based on what they have actually done.

That's exactly what I am doing. It's easy to give up $30,000 checks when you already have millions. It's like all the kudos heaped on Dwyane Wade for "giving up millions" so that the Heat could sign LeBron and Bosh. He already was worth something like $75+ million. I could give up a few million if I had $75+ million in the bank.

Likewise for Moore. I'd be perfectly willing and able to "make a stand" and give up $50k when I already have millions in the bank. It's a total nerf-ball move, and it's complete junk to celebrate it.

Yep. What he has not done is give up checks when he was barely making ends meet.

Which means what exactly?

Yep. What he has not done is give up checks when he was barely making ends meet.

It means what he has not done is give up checks when he was barely making ends meet.

It means what he has not done is give up checks when he was barely making ends meet.

How do you know exactly what he has & hasn't done in his personal life?

I am going to go out on a limb here but I don't understand why people dump on someone for being who they want to be. Alan Moore has enriched the comic book world and even his Crossed +100 has been excellent. He is one of the only writers whose works I can revisit and pick up something I completely missed on the first, second etc... reads. I am glad he is candid in his interviews and they do go to places most don't. I can appreciate leaving the norm behind and he never disappoints me. My 2c

Also Alan Moore at 70 lashing out at his fans kind of reminds me of when Ringo of The Beatles turned 70,and told his fans to stop sending him fan mail.

Peace and love. Peace and LOVE.

Also, Alan Moore is awesome.

Also also, why does everyone assume he's a millionaire?

I am going to go out on a limb here but I don't understand why people dump on someone for being who they want to be. Alan Moore has enriched the comic book world and even his ...

WTTBs!!!! :hi:

Just kidding. I think the Alan Moore bashing was just an over correction for people stating "Hey! I agree with everything that self proclaimed occultst and anarchist is right! That man is brilliant!"

And then it turns into this:

of30j.jpg

I should add that I love Watchmen and V for Vendetta and have both gns and the movies on DVD (and I don't waste money on a lot of DVDs), I think Moore was a great story writer, BUT, I also think he's a bit of a nut job on every issue I've ever seen him speak on. Alan Moore is the origin of the phrase "that dude's got the crazy eyes".

This is the kind of stuff you always see him in:

Also Alan Moore at 70 lashing out at his fans kind of reminds me of when Ringo of The Beatles turned 70,and told his fans to stop sending him fan mail.

Well, not everyone assumes that.

Alan Moore angry at how his characters were treated in Before Watchmen. He doesn't like his characters being used in a way he would not do. This from the guy who has consistently borrowed and utterly changed characters from Charlton, Literary classics in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Alice in wonderland, Wizard of Oz, peter Pan, etc.

He excoriates the movies made from his works WITHOUT HAVING SEEN THEM.

He's a prima donna extraordinaire.

I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times.

:applause:

He really does

We all respect him for his contributions I'm sure and wish he would like lighten up or something and go back to normal

Alan-go watch Watchmen and leave your ego at the door and just watch it. It won't kill you. The movie's pretty good actually. No film is 100% true to the written story so what. other writers don't get all agro about it.

I guess when these genius creators get to a certain age they have had enough with being under a microscope and want their privacy back.

He's 61. In the article I think he was talking in usual hyperbole about being on the cusp of 70.

No hyperbole involved. He said, "I suppose what I'm saying here is that as I enter the seventh decade of my life", which is what he is doing. It's like the 20th Century being the 1900s (for the most part), after you turn 60 you are in the beginning of the 7th decade of your life.

Alan Moore angry at how his characters were treated in Before Watchmen. He doesn't like his characters being used in a way he would not do. This from the guy who has consistently borrowed and utterly changed characters from Charlton, Literary classics in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Alice in wonderland, Wizard of Oz, peter Pan, etc.

Really? Source? I thought he just said that it was pathetic that DC had no better ideas than making a prequel to work he did 25 years ago. I don't recall him saying anything about anybody ruining Nite Owl or Silk Spectre. Has he ever said anything negative (or anything at all) about how Mogo has been used in Green Lantern?

I am going to go out on a limb here but I don't understand why people dump on someone for being who they want to be. Alan Moore has enriched the comic book world and even his Crossed +100 has been excellent. He is one of the only writers whose works I can revisit and pick up something I completely missed on the first, second etc... reads. I am glad he is candid in his interviews and they do go to places most don't. I can appreciate leaving the norm behind and he never disappoints me. My 2c

+1

Really? Source? I thought he just said that it was pathetic that DC had no better ideas than making a prequel to work he did 25 years ago. I don't recall him saying anything about anybody ruining Nite Owl or Silk Spectre. Has he ever said anything negative (or anything at all) about how Mogo has been used in Green Lantern?

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/184673-more-eloquent-vitriol-from-alan-moore-about-before-watchmen

Well, not everyone assumes that.

+1. Funny how so many are privy to his personal finances. It's totally "nerf-ball" (or however you want to characterize it) to dismiss what he did based on an assumption of his net worth. That's the real junk.

I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times.

:applause:

:tonofbricks:

"Culture" is going to progress fluidly along. as always.

Corporations are going to attempt to maximize the value of their properties, as always.

Many previously successful properties will go the way of the Lone Ranger and Beanie Babies.

Other media, such as video games, have exploded in cultural significance.

Interactive media as yet to be developed may completely revolutionize the entertainment industry.

If he is worried about cultural catastrophe he should focus his ire towards reality tv.

Love him or hate him, the Pádraig Ó Méalóid interview is a must-read. A master class in demolishing your opponent's argument. And trash talk. I almost feel bad for Grant Morrison. He gets schooled yet again. He should quit poking the bear because he just gets destroyed every time.

I was reading the interview on a plane that had engine trouble. It was a bit scary as we had to get diverted to another airport with a longer runway. As we approached, I could see all the emergency vehicles on the ground. My first thought was to call my family. My second was that I hoped I got to finish the interview before anything bad happened.