• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens to the value of a TV show comic when the show is gone/forgotten?

31 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the info. My question was directly related to The Strain (which I don't see having a WD following). I've been wanting to pick up a 9.8 of #1 but they're $150 or so now & I figured in a couple years it would be drek. Not sure.

History should clearly tell you that 99.9% of all hot Modern comics will have nowhere to go except down.

So,if you believe this book will truly become drek in a few years, why not buy it then instead of spending $150 on it now. :gossip:

There's just no comp to walking dead.

A stand alone property that already had success In the comic book world before gaining wide spread pop-culture awareness.

I would assume the comic would continue if the show were to be cancelled.

I agree. Also, story in the comics is far superior than that of the TV's. Key walking dead issues will go down to more reasonable prices after the TV show is over due to speculators bailing out.

It'll drop by the same percentage as the percentage of the census that is owned by speculators and people who just collect "pop" culture.

They'll be the one's selling, and the ones who'll take under market to reinvest the $$ elsewhere.

What's that percentage?

A stand alone property that already had success In the comic book world before gaining wide spread pop-culture awareness.

I agree. Also, story in the comics is far superior than that of the TV's. Key walking dead issues will go down to more reasonable prices after the TV show is over due to speculators bailing out.

I think there could be one comp. Book hit a few years before the first cartoon...

gobbledygook-1-1984.jpg

I think there could be one comp. Book hit a few years before the first cartoon...

gobbledygook-1-1984.jpg

In my opinion, this is an absolutely terrible comparison as the value of Gobbleygook #1 is almost driven entirely by the fact that it had a very limited print run of only 50 copies and was not widely distributed at all.

If you want to use the turtles as a comparison, I would give it a lot more credence if you had simply gone with TMNT #1 first print. Even though this particular issue had only a print run of 3,000 copies, at least it had some distribution through to the comic shops. (thumbs u

gobbledygook-1-1984.jpg

In my opinion, this is an absolutely terrible comparison as the value of Gobbleygook #1 is almost driven entirely by the fact that it had a very limited print run of only 50 copies and was not widely distributed at all.

If you want to use the turtles as a comparison, I would give it a lot more credence if you had simply gone with TMNT #1 first print. Even though this particular issue had only a print run of 3,000 copies, at least it had some distribution through to the comic shops. (thumbs u

Yeah I thought about TMNT 1 as well.... it's a pretty close comp

+ both franchises had popularity inside the medium before having wide spread popularity

+ both franchises enjoyed multiple platform exposure/success (TV, video games, movies, toys, etc)

+Both TMNT and WD1 enjoyed limited initial runs, with lots of subsequent printings (meaning you didnt have to buy #1 first printing to be able to read/collect the book)

some minor differences

-TMNT had primarily "kid" popularity while WD has adult popularity (adults who would spend 4 figures on a comic vs kids who wouldnt/couldnt)

-I cant remember how TMNT popularity arched. I know after the flop of the second movie it definately went down a peg, but the cartoon continued for another 5-6 years. And Im not sure if the comics were still being printed through that time...

- Vanilla Ice has not rapped a song about zombies yet (go Ninja, go Ninja, GO!)

Can anyone speak to the price/collecting of TMNT 1 during the 90s at both the height and the fall of the turtles popularity? (GPA not much use since this was all happening in the 90s before GPA)

gobbledygook-1-1984.jpg

Yeah I thought about TMNT 1 as well.... it's a pretty close comp

+ both franchises had popularity inside the medium before having wide spread popularity

+ both franchises enjoyed multiple platform exposure/success (TV, video games, movies, toys, etc)

+Both TMNT and WD1 enjoyed limited initial runs, with lots of subsequent printings (meaning you didnt have to buy #1 first printing to be able to read/collect the book)

some minor differences

-TMNT had primarily "kid" popularity while WD has adult popularity (adults who would spend 4 figures on a comic vs kids who wouldnt/couldnt)

-I cant remember how TMNT popularity arched. I know after the flop of the second movie it definately went down a peg, but the cartoon continued for another 5-6 years. And Im not sure if the comics were still being printed through that time...

- Vanilla Ice has not rapped a song about zombies yet (go Ninja, go Ninja, GO!)

Can anyone speak to the price/collecting of TMNT 1 during the 90s at both the height and the fall of the turtles popularity? (GPA not much use since this was all happening in the 90s before GPA)

hard to say TMNT is gone/forgotten since the 2014 movie did nearly $500MM worldwide box office

yes, the turtles are huge with the kid crowd nowadays. maybe there is more competition now, so i dunno if it is relatively as huge as in the early 90s, but my kids and their little friends are all into the turtles. criminey, last week the 3.5 year old insisted that all four of us go by turtle names. if we said anyone's real name he freaked out. i think i was Leo, i forget.

yes, the turtles are huge with the kid crowd nowadays. maybe there is more competition now, so i dunno if it is relatively as huge as in the early 90s, but my kids and their little friends are all into the turtles. criminey, last week the 3.5 year old insisted that all four of us go by turtle names. if we said anyone's real name he freaked out. i think i was Leo, i forget.

I overheard some 7-10 year old kids behind me playing with their TMNT's action figures just the other day. Super popular among the kids.