• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Inventory Software

28 posts in this topic

Nice! I was hoping since it was cloud based that it would also work as an image hosting tool to share individual comic photos. Thanks for confirming. It does seem like a better strategy than photobucket if you're willing to purchase the software. Certainly a much better way to manage a comic collection!

Nice! I was hoping since it was cloud based that it would also work as an image hosting tool to share individual comic photos. Thanks for confirming. It does seem like a better strategy than photobucket if you're willing to purchase the software. Certainly a much better way to manage a comic collection!

That was just a random book, so not my scan.

The one drawback I see is the images aren't as large as Photobucket, so if your looking to sell higher end books, it may not work. If you're selling drek like me, looks great.

Also, no thumbnails, so a sales thread post will quickly get out of hand.

I signed up for the 30 day trial just to test it out. The picture size is just too small for the photo upload to be of any use to me. Photos seem to be shrunk down to a 400px x 600px size which is way to small to evaluate a book's defects. I'd still need to use Photobucket for images. Still a great product for cataloging collections, but not worth the effort to upload actual comic scans.

ComicBookRealm.com is my weapon of choice... I haven't yet catalogued all the books I own but I'm slowly getting there with it.

I've inputted 761 books so far and it tells me they're worth $13,280.58 a little over enthusiastic I think but not too shabby for a new guy who's only been collecting for 9 months or so :)

What does CBR use to estimate current value?

I'm thinking of moving to some online/cloud/software management system for my collection (currently just using Excel) and I hear a lot about "Collectorz" but there are some features I really want such a collection system to have such as:

* Upload scanned pics large enough to see well.

* Barcode upload

* Current valuation for raws (if such a thing is possible)

* Accessible via mobile device/app

ComicBookRealm.com is my weapon of choice... I haven't yet catalogued all the books I own but I'm slowly getting there with it.

I've inputted 761 books so far and it tells me they're worth $13,280.58 a little over enthusiastic I think but not too shabby for a new guy who's only been collecting for 9 months or so :)

I'm thinking of moving to some online/cloud/software management system for my collection (currently just using Excel) and I hear a lot about "Collectorz" but there are some features I really want such a collection system to have such as:

* Barcode upload

magic_8_ball.jpg

Although they do have a good and easy inventory system

* Barcode upload

I recently discussed the photo size with a gentlemen from Collectorz. He was very responsive and really wanted to understand my rationale for larger uploaded pics (a la photobucket). I explained that I'd love to both be able to inventory my comics, and to also house large enough scans of my books so that I can share them (message board sharing, classifieds, etc). Currently the image size is 400 x 600 which is too small to accurately get a sense for a comic's condition/flaws. I suggested that even if the size limit was just tweaked a bit (to maybe 600 x 900), that I'd be the first to sign up.

Though he was very courteous, his concern is that the larger images would severely impact performance and space. The Collectorz cloud system really is set up to use stock photos of comics, so promoting individual user uploads of large file sizes does add some risk (and cost) to the program. So I think that's a dead-end for now.

Anyway, I really like Collectorz as an inventory program, but I wouldn't recommend it as a photo upload/archive tool.

The other issue that might arise with individual user uploads for pictures has to be the mobile app versions of the CLZ software. I primarily use the mobile version since I always have my phone on me & can check my collection & want list or whatever easily (and I would presume that a large number of others do as well). However, it eats up a significant chunk of my phone's storage just using the stock photos at 400x600. Virtually doubling the size of the photos would add probably 50% to the amount of space it uses up on a mobile device, which would make it unwieldy for others. (I primarily use the full computer version when I need to make more adjustments to entries than the app version will allow)

And considering that my collection size is only at about 9,000 books & using up over a gig of storage space for the database file inside the app, those with larger collections or that are more particular about having their own book scans in larger sizes would end up making their mobile devices almost inoperable for anything other than just storing your inventory.

I can imagine a collection closer to 20k with even slightly higher res scans taking up 1/4 of your storage on a mobile device without much difficulty. Get into selling-resolution scans & you're probably looking at closer to 1/2 of your storage.