• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who read 1602??

23 posts in this topic

Was it any good? I like the covers and was thinking about getting a 9.8 set. Any long term value on this one? I bought a JLA/Avenger 9.8 set for the covers as well. Guess I am a cover whore.

I love alternative stories and thought the mini-series was merely OK. There were some interesting points but the story crawled along. Could easily been cut down to 3 issues IMO. The ending sucked as well. Seems as if Gaiman didn't really know how to end the whole thing so he threw in a generic, and clichéd, gimmick to explain it all.

The art though saved the whole thing. Kubert really did a fantastic job here...

Jim

It was typical Gaiman quality as far as the richness of historical references, and we had a lot of fun picking them out, like with LOEG. Some clever adaptation of the current MU situations and relationships to 400 years ago. There was a lively debate regarding what the mystery was because it wasn't a "What If" or "Elseworlds" story, they insisted it was a real MU story. The resolution, though, was pretty lame, IMHO, and there was no impact at all AFAIK. No one died in the past or anything like that to completely rewrite current continuity. But the art was beautiful and the story, such as it was, was enjoyable enough. There were rumors that an ongoing series or "1603" book was going to follow, but nothing yet. As for value, this was not a sleeper book by any means. There's a complete 8-issue run on ebay about to end at $5. Speculators were out in force and those bets are unlikely to pay off. A complete 9.8/9.9 set would be kinda sweet, though, I guess, if you're into modern slabs. But I wouldn't bother.

I really enjoyed the hardcover, and I have a set that I think would grade at 9.8 but decided to not get them graded (probably not worth it), had a second set in the same grade that I gave to a friend.

As others have said the art is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the setting and time period. Seeing the assault on Von Doom's castle was great, and the Daredevil character was very well written. I didn't want to put it down, and I recomend it to anybody looking for a very entertaining read. I liked the concept, and didn't think the ending was a cop out.

IMO, it sucked harder than Monica on a Presidential Staff. gossip.gif

After reading all the issues, you're expecting some big climax...and you get nothing.

Not just nothing...NOTHING!

If you're planning on reading it, don't get your hopes up. frown.gif

I love alternative stories and thought the mini-series was merely OK. There were some interesting points but the story crawled along. Could easily been cut down to 3 issues IMO. The ending sucked as well. Seems as if Gaiman didn't really know how to end the whole thing so he threw in a generic, and clichéd, gimmick to explain it all.

The art though saved the whole thing. Kubert really did a fantastic job here...

Jim

Ditto. The art made it worth reading. Barely. I also tend to like alternative reality stories (used to love reading "What If...? as a kid") and thought that the 1602 story started out really well but then died on the vine.

IMO, it sucked harder than Monica on a Presidential Staff. gossip.gif

After reading all the issues, you're expecting some big climax...and you get nothing.

Not just nothing...NOTHING!

If you're planning on reading it, don't get your hopes up. frown.gif

What he said!

If you're buying them slabbed, it pretty much is just for the covers, which are pretty nice, so $10 a pop sounds reasonable if you are in the habit of buying slabbed moderns. I enjoyed the story - the interior art was just so-so, but the reimagining of the Marvel Universe in Elizabethan England was a great idea.

If you're buying them slabbed, it pretty much is just for the covers, which are pretty nice, so $10 a pop sounds reasonable if you are in the habit of buying slabbed moderns. I enjoyed the story - the interior art was just so-so, but the reimagining of the Marvel Universe in Elizabethan England was a great idea.

I enjoyed the series, as some of the recasting was pretty inspired (Dr. Strange as John Dee, Nick Fury as a cross between Walsingham and Marlowe), though the last couple of issues were a little deflating. Probably would have worked better as a 5 or 6 issue series.

Well, I read 1-7 at the beginning of the month and then discovered we didn't have a copy of #8. So I'll have to reserve judgement until Monday when we have three copies coming from Mile High. But you guys aren't making me too optimistic about a bang-up ending.

I did find it very pleasant and clever and pretty to look at. I also have to admit that I'm a sucker for having powerful characters imprisoned. By that, I mean these major characters are essentially forces of nature. They never die. But they can be "detained" for a while like the FF below Dooms castle for a few years.

Loved the Thor's Hammer bit too.

Cheers,

Marc