• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When to use fast submission and when to go the slow boat??

37 posts in this topic

I tallied up the hits and misses from my first submission and it looks like I did well enough that I'm looking at $500 more then if I sold the books raw (minus grading fees). Very happy but I spent $170 more to have the books graded in 1 month rather then 3 or 4 months so I could have expected $670 in "profits" if I would have waited.

What is your criteria to determine if a set of books gets fast tracked and when do you sit back and wait for the slow train?

The window on hot Moderns (anything that just came out or is getting a movie bump) is relatively short. Best to fast track rather than wait.

Good point. Here are the books I submitted since it may be relevant as to if you would have slow boated this set:

Walking Dead 20

Walking Dead 53

Thanos Quest 2

Absolute Vertigo NN

Hawkeye 1

X-Force 11

X-Men 4 (New Series)

Batman Mad Love (2 Copies)

ASM 361

Harley Quinn 1 (2000 Series)

Edge of Spider-Verse 2 (2Copies)

Marvel Premiere 48

Darth Vader 3 Variant Cover

Spectacular Spiderman 64

Preacher 13

I typically do not have a lot of patience so I went the fast route and I also felt books like MP 48 would be better to have right when the movie came out but now that I look over the list I think I could have waited and saved the $170. I've always heard to fast track modern hot books but is that a rule that makes sense for this set?

Sorry if this looks like a poorly veiled pre-sales announcement but I really am interested in this topic and I'm sure a ton of other people have the same questions. Thanks for the help.

The window on hot Moderns (anything that just came out or is getting a movie bump) is relatively short. Best to fast track rather than wait.

Good point. Here are the books I submitted since it may be relevant as to if you would have slow boated this set:

Walking Dead 20

Walking Dead 53

Thanos Quest 2

Absolute Vertigo NN

Hawkeye 1

X-Force 11

X-Men 4 (New Series)

Batman Mad Love (2 Copies)

ASM 361

Harley Quinn 1 (2000 Series)

Edge of Spider-Verse 2 (2Copies)

Marvel Premiere 48

Darth Vader 3 Variant Cover

Spectacular Spiderman 64

Preacher 13

I typically do not have a lot of patience so I went the fast route and I also felt books like MP 48 would be better to have right when the movie came out but now that I look over the list I think I could have waited and saved the $170. I've always heard to fast track modern hot books but is that a rule that makes sense for this set?

Sorry if this looks like a poorly veiled pre-sales announcement but I really am interested in this topic and I'm sure a ton of other people have the same questions. Thanks for the help.

Fast track the MP 48, EOS 2, Xforce 11 and the Vader book. Everything else you could've waited on.

Harley books aren't going anywhere. The demand is bigger than the supply. Same with WD.

Moderns are wild cards (as are anything you think has the movie hype potential) - but with others - get into a cycle. Submit value track (if applicable) - or other track - and go with 20-40 books every 3 months or so.

If you get into a regular pattern - the long lead times will not matter - you will be submitting like every three months - and getting a package back every three months.

Moderns are wild cards (as are anything you think has the movie hype potential) - but with others - get into a cycle. Submit value track (if applicable) - or other track - and go with 20-40 books every 3 months or so.

If you get into a regular pattern - the long lead times will not matter - you will be submitting like every three months - and getting a package back every three months.

That's the advice Junk Donkey gave me at Heroes - I just assumed he was wrong so I didn't listen. Maybe he does know some things.

If I give you the right answer then I would have to charge you 20% on your current submission. :whistle:

Come one man. You can have a dealer badge at the next Con I set up at.

That Walking Dead 20 we talked about killed me. I had it at a 9.6 and it came back a 9.2. Everything else I was within a grade but that one was a loser. Stupid black cover.

That's the advice Junk Donkey gave me at Heroes - I just assumed he was wrong so I didn't listen. Maybe he does know some things.

Maybe

If I give you the right answer then I would have to charge you 20% on your current submission. :whistle:

Come one man. You can have a dealer badge at the next Con I set up at.

That Walking Dead 20 we talked about killed me. I had it at a 9.6 and it came back a 9.2. Everything else I was within a grade but that one was a loser. Stupid black cover.

I've submitted a few WD over the years. ;)

Factors to consider

1) Financial goals

2) time of year

3) cashflow

4) types of books

5) margin

Since it looks like your motivation is to flip these, the quicker you can get in and out the better in my book. You'll be able to invest your profits much sooner and work on another round of books to flip.

I agree. I learned my lesson and now I FT everything.

Others have said it well.

If its a new "hot book" send it fast track else by the time its back it will have passed.

Books like UXM266 or NM98 unless you need the cash right away slow track is your friend.

I am regularly sending a package down about once every 4-6 weeks, this means I get a package back every 4-6 weeks. This means you constantly have new stuff coming in.

Save the $$ for fast track and get another book graded or buy another collection. Doesn't take long for those fast tracks to have paid for a significant book.

I actually think everything could have gone slow in this batch except the ant man comic and the EOSV 2 (which has leveled and my be forgotten soon).

Darth Vader prob won't go down before the movie. Harley's won't go down before the movie. Walking Dead you can still sell before the season starts, which is still months away. The rest you can still wait for the lead in to the movies/tv too. None of these are too rushed, maybe walking dead if it really takes 4 months now....

Why rush with TWD when it is offseason? Don't prices pick up when the show is airing?

Yah its probably better to sell near the front of the season, but I'm not sure when the season starts, and an extra 3 months from now is deep in October, I was thinking the season will have started by then. So if he slow tracked it a month ago, he'd be looking at a week before Halloween, which might be too late.

And yes I just contacted CGC about my April 18th submission, it will be shipped safe in an estimated two weeks, with a potential 7-10 business days of shipping, that could put me at around 4 months even. And my comics were graded BEFORE SDCC, so if he submitted slow track in early june, there's a pretty good chance it would take MORE than 4 months, leaving him November waiting for his walking dead books. Not ideal.

Why rush with TWD when it is offseason? Don't prices pick up when the show is airing?

I actually didn't use too much thought into what to grade this time around. It was very slow on Sunday at Heroes so I went thru all my books and picked out the ones that I've been meaning to grade and ran them over to be graded. I've been waiting to see how this batch did before sending in another so I'll probably do the slow route for some of the books next time around. But since Baltimore is only a couple months away it may make sense to just sub them their since I'll get my grades much quicker then regular Modern at this point. Thanks for the info guys.