• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wash or Dry? Who is recommended

17 posts in this topic

In a "wet" cleaning does the book have to be fully disassembled and then reassembled?

Ends up with a purple label, though, right?

Yes, I know it always gets a purple label, but I was wondering if a full disassembling of the comic had to happen when this process is done.

In a "wet" cleaning does the book have to be fully disassembled and then reassembled?

Yes, I know it always gets a purple label, but I was wondering if a full disassembling of the comic had to happen when this process is done.

Washed covers can garner a conserved label. Happened to me on a big book recently (I did not wash it).

Washed covers can garner a conserved label. Happened to me on a big book recently (I did not wash it).

Joey, does the comic have to be fully disassembled for the washing? Do the interior pages get washed too or just the cover?

Joey, does the comic have to be fully disassembled for the washing? Do the interior pages get washed too or just the cover?

Like anything else it is on a case by case basis. If a book is having extensive work done it is most likely disassembled and each wrap is done separate. If a book has a single large stain it could be spot work.

Like anything else it is on a case by case basis. If a book is having extensive work done it is most likely disassembled and each wrap is done separate. If a book has a single large stain it could be spot work.

In most every case where the term "wet washing" is used. Yes, the book has to be disassembled. For the reason that any washed, "wet" piece of paper needs to be blotted dry under weight to avoid cockling. You simply cannot do this properly while the book is assembled due to it being stapled, folded and up against the interior. And isolated stain removal typically creates tide lines surrounding the stain unless the page is fully submerged to dilute the entire area. Especially SA covers.

Solvent wet washing while inherently different, is typically a dis-assembly process that involves dunking the entire cover for the same reasons listed above. Tide lines. Although a solvent washed cover does not need to be blotted dry.

Washed interiors involve multiple baths that de acidify, rinse out, and then re size each page individually.

In most every case where the term "wet washing" is used. Yes, the book has to be disassembled. For the reason that any washed, "wet" piece of paper needs to be blotted dry under weight to avoid cockling. You simply cannot do this properly while the book is assembled due to it being stapled, folded and up against the interior. And isolated stain removal typically creates tide lines surrounding the stain unless the page is fully submerged to dilute the entire area. Especially SA covers.

Solvent wet washing while inherently different, is typically a dis-assembly process that involves dunking the entire cover for the same reasons listed above. Tide lines. Although a solvent washed cover does not need to be blotted dry.

Washed interiors involve multiple baths that de acidify, rinse out, and then re size each page individually.

re-size?

Thank yipu! Very informative. I'd assume any tear seals would be disintegrated?? (That wouldn't bother me so much)