• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFA-APA

8 posts in this topic

I understand there is a limited number of members, 40 I believe. Is anyone here a member and care to share details about the group. Also I have been thinking about picking up a couple of the fanzines. Are these worth the price for this information within them?

I've been a member going on 10 years. You have to contribute an article to remain in good standing. Quality of the content varies, but as most members have been around a while, you'll get some good stories. Join for a bit, you'll find out soon enough if the group is for you or not. I've turned a few friends onto the group and so far, everyone appears to be enjoying the experience.

I was a member for a while and wrote a few articles.

Life got in they way and I was not able to contribute so I dropped out a few years ago.

Maybe one day I will be able to join again

They published three "Giant Size Fan Things" as a greatest hits collection. They are large and were relatively inexpensive when published. I have no idea if there are any left for sale, but could point you to the right guy if you want to PM me.

Hi, I am a former editor of the apa (a good 10 year run that just ended about a year ago) and the current editor is Wally Harrington. We are always seeking new members who are interested in writing about original comic and fantasy art. If you send me an email off line to benno.rothschild@hartmansimons.com I will be glad to send you some information about the apa. Needless to say, I am a big fan of the publication. I joined with issue 37 and we are now on issue 97 and approaching the magic 100 mark. The key thing about the apa that is different than just subscribing to a magazine is that you have to write to be a member. Since there is no publication without the active participation of the membership, we require every member to write at least 2 pages of text (it can be more-and often members write a lot more) for each issue and we publish three times annually. If you miss an issue, you have to put in 4 pages the next issue or you forfeit your membership. Our average issue lately has run 300-400 pages and so I think for 30 bucks a year plus the cost to print 50 copies of your own article, its a pretty darn good deal if you love comic art and have something to say about collecting. Benno

As a former member I will echo Benno's comments. It is a wonderful group and the articles are top notch. Unfortunately, like others, life got in the way and I had to drop out. I would also vote for tracking down older issues especially if there is a particular artist or topic that you are interested in.