• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Silence of the Avengers 2!!!

56 posts in this topic

It might depend on the printer. If you look at the first page of every Silver Marvel comic, you'll see that Marvel seemed to switch who did their printing every few months...I guess they were continually trying to cut their costs. I may go research the bottom of the first page of every Marvel from the 1960s to see how many different printers Marvel used during the Silver Age...has to be at least a half dozen or a dozen or more.

I still maintain that these were printers of some capacity. To produce a minimum 32 page 4-color (with a seperate cover), not to mention the squarebounds, is not something to bring to Kinko, so to speak. We are probably looking at a combination of web for the interior pages and classic offset for the covers. That means a good sized shop with mulitple facitlities.

But if you DO research the printers please send me a PM with what you have found. I own no Marvel SA except for a CGC 9.0 Marvel Super-Heroes #1, so have no reference material. Since these are SA printers some of them may still be in business, as opposed to my GA genre. So, please PM if you get get any info???

Dogg, and while we're on the subject of 25% for RAW vs. slabbed, I might take this opportunity to remind people who actually believe that 25% hogwash that I realized $5700 in an Ebay auction for a RAW Spiderman 50 in NM/MT. How much more was to be gained by having it slabbed???

Ham! You have a really fascinating topic going on here! Don't hijack it yourself! grin.gif It really deserves examination!

I just started a spreadsheet on it, but most of my Silver Marvels are kept outside my house, so it'll be a bit before I finish...

I assure you that you will be finished before I am! And thanks. It may take months por more but when you do get the info shoot it my way. In the interim I shall try to glean what I can.

Didn't mean to. This is a VERY important subject....factory cutting procedures, and I'm going to do as much research into it as is humanly possible this week. I had heard that 25% hogwash TWICE already in this thread, and the number is so far off that I just had to mention that.

I knew a tool and die maker that BUILT the machinery that was used to cut 1952 to 1956 Topps cards. THAT'S how I knew that these cards were cut with a vibrating WIRE like a jigsaw or cheese slicer and those year cards should ALWAYS have serrated long edges. I'm going to see if I can find him through other contacts (lost contact with him) to ask for input or if he has any knowledge of WHO may have designed or operated machinery that actually produced Marvel comics. Wish me luck!

PS: With all of Ernst Gerber's massive research on comics, doesn't HE have any written treatises or articles on the actual mechanical production machining of comics?

Wish me luck!

I really DO wish you luck. And also - please Pm me?

With all of Ernst Gerber's massive research on comics, doesn't HE have any written treatises or articles on the actual mechanical production machining of comics?

Not sure if you caught it but Gerber died a while back. A MAJOR blow to us comic fans. The guy was a true pioneer. I have seen some folks try to belittle Gerber - not sure why - but gawd! Imagine the effort to produce those photo-guides? If comicdom had saints Gerber would be high amoung them.

This is a VERY important subject....factory cutting procedures, and I'm going to do as much research into it as is humanly possible this week

Dude.....while you're at it.....could you try to find out who killed that Nicole Simpson chick?.........that O.J. guy never did find out squat. tongue.gif

Ok.....sorry pov.......that'll be my only hijack post in here. crazy.gif

The first time I noticed these angle-cuts was when I bought an FF 25 that had one, and you pointed out to me that almost EVERY copy of that issue has an angle cut.

If I did I must have had more rum than I could handle (a difficult thing). Are you SURE this was me? Can you cite that post? Please. I want ot be sure I am not mis-informing folks.

Hello.....Pov.....FF was responding to hammer regarding the FF25!

Phew! I read this a few times and for some reason thought it was addressed to me. And no rum this night! (had horrid oral surgery end of last week and still not 100%).

At least I know am not crazy nor is FF.

I think this will continue to be a fascinating thread!

And thanks for the slap in the face! grin.gif

There are several noteworthy Marvels that are NOTORIOUS for having cuts that intrude into the comic code. For instance:

FF 25

FF 12

JIM 83

X-men 2

to name the most prevalent of problematic issues that share this trait. Now this trait has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CUTTING. It has EVERYTHING to do with the relative POSITION of the comic code within the framework of the artwork on the cover. If you were to pick out of your collection, 10 different Silver age Marvels of EXACTLY or very close to 6 and 3/4 inch to 6 and 7/8th inches in width, this is very easily illustrated. The comic code is positioned on the cover at a DIFFERENT DISTANCE from the spine edge on every issue you can pull! If the code's right edge is positioned 6 inches from the apex of the spine (not necessarily the black spine line, but precisely at the point the spine is folded), there will be alot of room to the right of the code, even if the book has been miscut, or angle cut. If its one of those books that carries its comic code WAY to the right of the spine fold, say the right side of the comic code being 6 and 7/8ths inches distant from the spine, chances are that it will be intruded into by even a NORMAL cut on a book of average/normal width. A book like Spiderman 33 you will NEVER see with the code touching the right edge because the code, within the framework of the cover art layout is a VERY short distance from the spine and the book would have to be hacked to pieces for the code to be intruded. Now what do THESE examples have to do with the Avengers 2? NOTHING. ALthough the book is angle cut, although the book has part of the code cut off, the TYPE of twisting, turning, stuttering, HUMAN produced cut should be focused on. Not the angle, not the artwork or code, but the EDGE itself. ALL the evidence is right there once examined.

Daredevil 1 thru 4 has that same too-wide placement of cover elements...I've been holding out for copies that cut off an equally tiny part of the Comics Code and Marvel logo/DD picture in the upper left.