• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet bets and expectations...

43 posts in this topic

There are very good reasons why the top grade should be lowered for older, scarcer books. Listing 30's and 40's books in 9.2 condition is asinine. It gives no indication as to the current market value for such books. That said, I think bronze should get the bump up to 9.6.

Didn't Arnold already hinted a couple of months ago that there would be a readjustment for the top condition grade in the 2005 guide. From my point of view, the top grades should be as follows:

GA 9.0

SA 9.2

BA 9.4

CA 9.4 or 9.6 (okay, let's go for Wizard's 9.5)

MA 9.6

Doubt we'll see all of these implemented in one year. More than likely, they'll be phased in over a few years.

Yep, there was some hint that the top grade will be something other than 9.2 for newer books. I think the days when the OS guide prices were adjusted from a detailed, bottom-up perspective are gone, and now things are done top down in a systematic fashion as in "multiply the top price for all mainstream Marvel superhero titles by 1.1 to obtain this year's guide value".

We'll see what comes out, but IMHO OS really messed up last year when trying to account for CGC prices by uniformly dropping the top grade to 9.2 for everything, but not changing the prices downward accordingly for all the books that weren't even selling at the previous year's guide in 9.4! frustrated.gif

To make a simple point, did every NM- post-1980 book suddenly start selling for the NM OS guide price last year? No, and in most cases they're still sitting in the $0.25/$0.50/$1.00 boxes where they belong... mad.gif

IMHO OS really messed up last year when trying to account for CGC prices by uniformly dropping the top grade to 9.2 for everything, but not changing the prices downward accordingly for all the books that weren't even selling at the previous year's guide in 9.4! frustrated.gif

I'm in total agreement here. thumbsup2.gif

The average 10% price increase will be applied to most major character books, just like every year.

Actually, comics went up by more than the 10% in 2003 (for example, FF 31-40 went up from $130 in 9.4 to $240 in 9.2) -- that's why we're asking.

There's not much point in taking this any further if you don't know what "average" means.

How are you determinating this 10% average? Two years ago I entered a ton of Golden Age Superhero Overstreet pricing data spanning a decade into spreadsheets to determine their APY and very few even made it to 10%.